It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

Help loading a surround set for headphone use.

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Alte_neume

Help loading a surround set for headphone use.

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello all,
As always I feel behind the technological curve! I've read several previous threads on the forum that suggest it is possible to load both front and rear samples of a surround set and configure some sort of balance to meet your preference for use with headphones. I was wondering if anyone would kindly offer a step-by-step to help me load my new Bavokerk sample set (USB on the way from Netherlands). I wanted to figure this out before it gets here so I can use it immediately upon arrival! The other question is that I've heard this sample set has a "slider" of sorts which can automatically adjust the balance to simulate placement within the church. Is it possible to use this function with headphones? If so, would I load the set any differently?

I use headphones with mac pro. I do not have an external audio interface. Hopefully this will not be an issue.

Many thanks in advance!

sesquialtera

Re: Help loading a surround set for headphone use.

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 2:14 am

Is it possible to use this function with headphones? If so, would I load the set any differently?

Yes and no ! but whateveryou do, take care of your ears !

telemanr

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 6:33 am

I hope it’s clear to alte_neume that “yes and no” means yes you can use the slider to change the aspect with headphones, and no, you don’t need to load it differently.
Rob Enns

sesquialtera

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Thanks telemanr for those precisions ! :D
And yes, headphones can be harmfull for the ears...

Alte_neume

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 am

Thank you both. Could you describe how I shall load both front and rear samples for my setup (ie how to assign them)?

And yes, I find the temptation of "turning up the headphones" is the HW organist's equivalent to getting a second serving of dessert. So good, but bad for you!

magnaton

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 11:26 am

Alte_neume wrote:Thank you both. Could you describe how I shall load both front and rear samples for my setup (ie how to assign them)?

For a standard stereo or headphones where you have just 2 channels, you simply load both Front and Rear samples together as normal. The vendor doesn't provide screen shots for this sample set or I didn't see any, however there should be "sliders" or some controls to separate or balance between Front and Rear for each rank. You mentioned this in your original post. Some ranks you might prefer a more close up recorded sound while others sound better farther away and yet others a perfect mix of 50/50.

In a multichannel setup, its recommended the Rear samples be sent to separate speakers that are placed behind you which can provide a nice acoustic feel of how the organ sounds in this venue. In this setup you can still have headphones by using the routing/aux mixdown feature in the Audio Outputs section of Hauptwerk.

Danny B.

Alte_neume

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Thank you for the details! I will let you know if everything goes smoothly.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments