It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

Portrait or Landscape touch screens

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

IainStinson

Portrait or Landscape touch screens

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 7:27 am

Touch screen orientation

I'm often disappointed that some sample set producers don't provide portrait stop jamb screens for their virtual organs. I have two portrait oriented touch screen monitors (that is longest edge vertical) and for larger instruments I want to have a left and right stop jamb screen (one on each monitor), designed to be displayed in portrait mode, to use whilst playing the sample set.

Almost all sample sets come with landscape oriented displays (this is probably the most suitable for laptop computers and probably was the common format for monitors a few years ago) but even some new sample sets do not provide portrait oriented screens. Although the landscape screens can be used on a portrait oriented monitor, the layout is often too small to be easily viewed and a a large portion of the monitor is not used by the landscape screen.

I have bought sample sets without portrait oriented screens and I have bought sets on the promise that a portrait oriented screen would be forthcoming (but have been disappointed that they haven't been delivered).

I have been very pleased to see some third party developments of portrait oriented screens and where I have used them - they do enhance the sample set.

I can appreciate that some real instruments have a stop layout which is more suited to a landscape layout (thinking of some historic instruments).

There was a discussion around screen sizes and formats a few years ago....
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7850&start=15&hilit=landscape+portrait

I wonder whether using portrait orient touch screen displays is "unusual". I'd been very interested to hear what other users prefer.

Iain

chr.schmitz

Re: Portrait or Landscape touch screens

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 am

Hello Iain,

I think that everybody with portrait screens wants to use portrait layouts. A landscape layout on a portrait screens leaves 2/3 of the screen black. This can be very annoying, especially if you have large sample sets (e.g. Esztergom).

Unfortunately, end users can add portrait screens only to unencrypted sample sets. For encrypted sample sets, you have to recreate the original sample sets first (which is a lot of work). Furthermore -- and this is the Achilles heel of this approach -- the final result will probably sound differently, as you don't have access to the voicing data.

The main work to add portrait screen is creating the graphics (unfortunately sample set producers usually do not provide any additional photo material), slicing the graphics and getting the slice coordinates.

Implementing portrait screens is simple. If I have the graphics files (including size information) and the coordinates, I can implement the screens after a long learning curve in 2 to 3 hours.

Iain, I could not more agree, current sample sets should provide always dual portrait screen layouts, even if the layout differs from the layout of the original organ.

Best, Chris

OAM

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 am

All newer OAM productions support portrait and landscape dual monitor screens, as the upcoming Walcker set also will do.
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

RichardW

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 am

My screens come with stands that allow a rotation of 90 degrees.

So I get the best of both worlds. You do need quite a lot of space to allow the screens to be rotated, however.

Regards,
Richard

Return to Hauptwerk instruments