It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

World famous organ of Martinikerk Groningen will come

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

adri

World famous organ of Martinikerk Groningen will come

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 am

….in the foreseeable future it will come out as a sample set for Hauptwerk!

This is truly a magnificent Groningen / North-German type baroque organ in a very good acoustical setting.

It's in my opinion one of the most beautiful instruments in the world.... !!!!

A recording session agreement has been made.

More I don't know, so please do not ask me any more questions. When I know more and am allowed to share, I will.

Time to start saving up for it....
Last edited by adri on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erzahler

Re: The world famous organ of the Martinikerk Groningen....

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:12 pm

It will be hard to pass up this organ sample if it becomes available.
There is a good amount of info here listing all the conservation work done, specification and photos.
http://www.arpschnitger.nl/sgro03.html

monorganist

Re: World famous organ of Martinikerk Groningen will come

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 7:30 am

engrssc

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 9:13 am

monorganist wrote:I have found a very interesting demos of the stops:

This organ needs a couple of assistant stop "pullers". if there are many registration changes.

Rgds,
Ed

pedro

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 11:21 am

Hi Adri
Did you ever hear anything about the Oude Kerk organ -Amsterdam being sampled?
I heard a couple of years ago ,they were going to do it when the restoration was complete.
Pete

CWEB

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 6:20 am

This sounds like it could be a magnificent addition! I guess it will be a while coming though...

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 11:45 pm

I have purchased far too many sample sets since I first installed HW in 2007. I had sample set OCD at first, buying everything in sight, but In the last 4-5 years or so, my rate of acquisition has gone almost to zero — well, except for Steinkirchen. If only my meager and mostly boorish playing skills matched my very excellent skills at purchasing sample sets. I haven't actually done a count of how many I have installed (or uninstalled to reclaim disk space), but I probably play — maybe — 4-5 sample sets on a routine basis at most, one of which is the second sample set I acquired (Cappel Schnitger) years ago. Most just sit there unused — even though they are fine instruments.

Sure would be nice to have an updated HW v4-5 version of Cappel. Brett? When you have some time?? Before MY time runs out?? :-)

But when Martinikerk shows up, I may find myself compelled to buy at least ONE more, as well as upgrade my now aging HW Mac Pro to something a bit less geezer-like and be able load the whole thing (with trems sampled on every stop? — of course)

This IS really good news about a wonderful instrument ..
Grant

CarsonCooman

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 am

Grant_Youngman wrote:Sure would be nice to have an updated HW v4-5 version of Cappel. Brett? When you have some time?? Before MY time runs out?? :-)

This will almost certainly never happen. The official website for the real organ even has a strongly-worded warning discouraging people from buying the Hauptwerk sample set and disassociating themselves and the organ from the sample set.

So I rather suspect the leadership in charge of this organ has changed since the time (years ago) that permission was given to sample sample it for early versions of Hauptwerk.

adri

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 6:18 am

pedro wrote:Hi Adri
Did you ever hear anything about the Oude Kerk organ -Amsterdam being sampled?
I heard a couple of years ago ,they were going to do it when the restoration was complete.
Pete

I think I might have heard the same rumor; would be very nice; as this is also a very magnificent instrument. But alas, I don't know any more.

Grant_Youngman

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 2:28 pm

CarsonCooman wrote:This will almost certainly never happen. The official website for the real organ even has a strongly-worded warning discouraging people from buying the Hauptwerk sample set and disassociating themselves and the organ from the sample set.

I've read that. It's a shame, whatever the reason. They're obviously p*ssed off or have their nose in a twitch over something. Money, overly self-absorbed, .. whatever. I'm going with money. It may be the root of all evil, but it's likely a major player.

I have the recording by Ennulat, and it is quite different in overall impression than the sample set. Nonetheless …. pity :-(
Grant

Wall.e

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 am

Grant_Youngman wrote:
CarsonCooman wrote:This will almost certainly never happen. The official website for the real organ even has a strongly-worded warning discouraging people from buying the Hauptwerk sample set and disassociating themselves and the organ from the sample set.

I've read that. It's a shame, whatever the reason. They're obviously p*ssed off or have their nose in a twitch over something. Money, overly self-absorbed, .. whatever. I'm going with money. It may be the root of all evil, but it's likely a major player.

I have the recording by Ennulat, and it is quite different in overall impression than the sample set. Nonetheless …. pity :-(

I think you are wrong. I know that the official site from Cappel posted this many many years ago, and I heard that there has never been an official permission for sampling this Schnitger organ. That could be the reason, and I doubt that it has to do anything with money.

CWEB

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Wall.e wrote:
Grant_Youngman wrote:

I think you are wrong. I know that the official site from Cappel posted this many many years ago, and I heard that there has never been an official permission for sampling this Schnitger organ. That could be the reason, and I doubt that it has to do anything with money.

It's hard to see how a sample set could be produced without permission - there's a lot more to it than just whipping out a microphone for a few minutes when nobody is looking...

If the sample set doesn't sound right they should have it re-worked, otherwise it just smacks of an exclusive and unenlightened attitude. Stewardship of such treasures should include facilitating the appreciation of them by a wide audience. Can you imagine being told by the authorities of, for example an important cathedral, not to look at any photos of the building because they somehow 'don't do it justice'? It's rubbish!

dkoschinski

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 9:07 am

Wall.e wrote:If the sample set doesn't sound right they should have it re-worked, otherwise it just smacks of an exclusive and unenlightened attitude.

Apparently they are not satisfied with the final sound result of the organ in Hauptwerk. It is written:
The web is with pictures of Cappel - Arp-Schnitger organized for the purchase or a software / sample set for download. These recordings do not match the sound of the Arp-Schnitger organ Cappel. We distance ourselves from these sellers!
So if one is not satisfied with the earlier results, they will never give permission (again) for a totally new recording, with the fear that it will not match either.

adri

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 12:24 pm

It's semi-official, but can be known officially: The Martini organ has been sampled by Sonus Paradisi, and one of its organists, Sietze de Vries, who has been instrumental in getting this done, as he is an enthusiast HW user himself, so far seems apparently quite pleased with the beta version that now exists.

Beta screenshot:

http://www.pcorgel.nl/download/file.php?id=4648

murph

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi Adri,
the usual permissions problem applies to this file. (pcorgan only lets it's members view files).
Maybe host the pic elsewhere?

Tony.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments