Search:
Submit Search

Sample Selection

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...

Sample Selection

Postby bachlover » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 am

2.5 years ago, I completed my 4 manual organ, using an Apple tower and the Collector's Edition of the Estergom Sample Set.
Then I moved to Florida and am finally ready to re-assemble my organ, and finally get the bugs ironed out.
So my first question, since I have not been keeping up with releases for so long, is asking for some advice for a different sample set. The Estergom was a bit disappointing, voice-wise.
So, keeping in mind that I liked the 32' pipes and was disappointed in the Trumpet voices with what I have, what large pipe sets have been released that might satisfy me? Let me add here that I now live in a very rural area and internet service is both poor and intermittent as well as expensive, so I cannot browse Contrebombarde as I used to, trying to choose a new pipe set. If I don't receive any advice, I suppose that I will be going with the largest Father Willis offered. Perhaps someone could recommend something new to check out and listen to? I will buy as much RAM as necessary.
Let me add one more thing. After years of having Windows freeze up on me, I thought it would be wise at the time, to go Apple. Little did I know how difficult it seems to be to find touch screens compatible. So I will be buying a new Hauptwerk Advanced for PC and try to find a decent used gamer's PC with max and expandable RAM and 2 new touchscreen monitors.
Thanks for any recommendations. Dennis in Levy County, Florida
bachlover

Re: Sample Selection

Postby engrssc » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:18 am

engrssc

Postby magnaton » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm

I too second the Armley-Schulze from Lavender Audio. If your willing to wait a bit, the Peterborough Cathedral organ is due out in the near future. The sound from the videos is just *stunning*! I can only imagine what the actual HW sample set will be like. Check out the latest thread here:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16751

Danny B.
magnaton

Postby Japio » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 pm

I would recommend waiting till the release of Peterborough Cathedral, instead of buying Salisbury. :D
Japio

Postby mnailor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:22 pm

If not Armley, I'd consider Hereford instead of the "largest" Willis. And Caen C-C from SP is a good symphonic organ.

If you don't require cathedral acoustics, Portland Rosales from SP is a good US eclectic organ.
mnailor

Postby 1961TC4ME » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Part of the selection process, at least for me comes down to how you plan to use the set. I use an audio set up with speakers vs. some that use headphones pretty exclusively. So, for me part of the selection process involves whether or not the set is a surround set or not. If you use headphones then it really doesn't matter. I have a couple non-surround sets I've bought in the past and I like them, but from here on they have to be surround or I won't buy them no matter the set or quality. I pondered Hereford back in the day and it was of much interest, the only thing that stopped me was the fact it is not a surround set, too bad in a way. I'd say the same for Salisbury, non surround so a no go for me. After much listening on CCH I went for the Armley Schulze last year and I have to say it is one of the most reasonably priced (considering what you get) and realistic sounding sets I've ever heard. It sounds like a real pipe organ and double Kudos to David Butcher at Lavender Audio for the job he did in recording and producing this set. It is still my first 'go to' set every time I sit down at the console and I never tire of it which says a lot. In addition to the sound it has what I'd describe as a perfect acoustic.

The upcoming Peterborough looks and sounds very interesting and it is on my radar. I'll be able to tell more once it's been released. Hopefully the producer will provide enough of a demo to get a good feel for how it will actually sound on my system. I'd just say for now, if you go Armley Schulze no matter what else comes along, you definitely won't be disappointed.

Marc
1961TC4ME

Postby IainStinson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Visit a friend where connectivity is good and download the trial sample sets for Salisbury, Hereford and Armley. They are all very good and very different . Armley’s fourth manual division is an Echo organ not a Solo division. You need to hear them in your own environment.

Iain
IainStinson

Postby dw154515 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:14 pm

I'll complicate things a little further and say that I have both Salisbury (at home) and Armley Schultze at church. They are both awesome in my opinion.

HOWEVER...

I do find the Salisbury to be more capable of the symphonic organ works - it lends itself very well to that kind of music, better than the AS, I believe. I also liked the Salisbury "out of the box" and didn't have to mess with any voicing.

I also like the solo division in Salisbury - the tubas are awesome, and great to have on a solo division. The clarinet on the Salisbury solo (and cello/celeste) are all lovely as well.

All in all, I find the Salisbury more of an "all around" flexible set. It is VERY expensive, though.

The AS is also great, though, but in a different way. I find that it does very well for those big, thrilling, full sounds. In my church, it's (going to be) AWESOME for hymn accompanying. My project is still on-going, but is fully playable. I have not played the AS under headphones or in stereo - only multi-channel in the sanctuary. Salisbury sounds great under headphones. AS has the built in mixing.

No easy choice, honestly. So many variables.

By the way, Danny B. is the one that sold me on the AS for my church when he came to visit me and played only the trial version of the set. You can get a lot out of only a few ranks.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumcmusic.org
Field Engineer - Sensory Technologies
http://www.sensorytechnologies.com
dw154515

Postby adri » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:14 pm

If you are not prepared to download a new sapel
adri

Postby adri » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:15 pm

If you are not prepared to download a new sample set, make sure you can receive the media in the mail.
adri

Postby bachlover » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:26 am

Thanks all for posting good suggestions. I have loved the organ since my first piano teacher bought herself a tubed Baldwin organ and started taking organ lessons while she taught me piano. When I had progressed to the first Diller and Qualle Duets, she would move me over to the organ and I still remember the smell of the tubes warming and the flicker of the music stand light. Of course, for a 7 year old, it was more like sitting in a spaceship than a musical instrument that first got my attention. It was about '60 or '61 and before space travel was a reality but the movies and cartoons showed us kids what it would be like and to a 7 yo kid, all those "buttons and switches" inspired amazement.

However, my playing stinks. I will never be an organist, but if I can play a section of a big piece, I am pleased with myself. That said, I still want what I want.

I might have added that I LOVE powerful Pedal stops. 32 ft Bombarde makes my heart throb. LOL It seems that the Estergom was advertised as having a stop that more vibrated in your gut than your ear.

Marc - I have a fairly powerful amplifier powering Technics tower speakers with 2 10 inch bass woofers and hope to find a decent amplified sub woofer someday. But since I built the organ originally in an apartment, I bought a pair of Marmin AKG earphones which are spectacular.

So, to all who took the time to help me, thank you. I appreciate the heads up on the new set being released.

I have and WILL buy the hard copies of anything instead of downloading.

I guess the bottom line is that I want a large organ with good voicing, powerful pedal stops and some decent trumpets. Although I like the - what's the term? - reverberation? wetness? - and the power of the Estergom, the voices in general are disappointing to me.

Thanks again. - Dennis
bachlover

Postby bachlover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 am

If anyone is still following this thread - I found the Melbourne Town Hall pipe set last night, and although there is not much to hear, what I heard was pretty good. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Dennis
bachlover

Return to Hauptwerk instruments