It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 pm

Composite of Saint Sulpitius - French Symphonic V/102+P

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

tf11972

Re: Composite of Saint Peter (Cologne Cathedral) IV/90+P

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:12 am

As stated in the former comments, it is a long way from the first recordings to the release of a finished sampleset. So I have modified my license terms for my existing and further samplesets and have forbidden to make commercial composite sets with my samples.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

Lougheed

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 am

One thing that I have gotten out of this thread is the idea that the St Ouen composite (Aristide no.1) is worth checking out.

So, there's that.
Last edited by Lougheed on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWEB

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Lougheed wrote:One thing that I have gotten out of this thread is the idea that theSt Ouen composite (Aristide no.1) is worth checking out.

So, there's that.

It certainly is. The advantage of that set, apart from the quality and effort that went into making it, is that Cavaille-coll instruments have quite a high degree of standardisation and there are a number of samples available of large organs of his in similar acoustics.

Combining the work of different builders from different acoustics and trying to make it sound like the work of yet another builder is a much taller order, and it's unsurprising if it doesn't meet with approval. Still, in my opinion you take it or leave it. If no rules are being broken and no one is being deceived let the market deal with it....

sesquialtera

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 1:22 pm

I'm fully and totaly agree with the last reactions.
Please, let me remind you some posts abourt an other "holy project" :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17569
Thank you Adri to be so patient, so constructive and so positive.
I wonder what will be te next step ...
"The Holy Saint Immaculte Heart of the all Sacred Saint of Our Lady of Good Taste" ...
mixed with Saint Credulity and Saint Quakery?

Discipulus.veritatis

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 9:38 pm

Due to the success of the Composite of Saint Peter, we decided to make a second version using the Caen sample set instead of Zutphen, giving it quite a different character, but also making it available to a wider audience due to its popularity. This composite does not intend to replicate the organ at Cologne Cathedral, but only uses an almost identical stop list to the real organ, while retaining its own sound, which is Symphonic/Romantic. The sample is intended to sound as if one were in the nave.

https://organareginaecaeli.wordpress.co ... ree-kings/

As to the comments here, I am thankful for all of your advice! It is quite helpful. Taking in this advice, these composites are still much popular, and there is no rational reason for them to stop, so they will continue at will for those who enjoy them. For those who don't, as other kind organists have said (and which I am most grateful and appreciative of), if one is not interested in them, they can simply ignore them. If they do cause personal discomfort, it is only a problem with the person themselves, as it seems many have even more anger than time on their hands to even persecute others like this, while fighting for real controversial issues, like against abortion and other important and pressing matters. I would humbly advise this passion to be spent else where, for as others have noticed, it is only fueled by passion and anger, and that is why the comments are mean-spirited. As Saint Alphonsus says, the angry man always thinks he is justified in his actions, and it is sad to see that this is the case here where helpful comments turn into assaults. May God bless you all, and I hope you enjoy the composites!

dkoschinski

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 7:03 am

I cannot imagine that Sonus Paradisi's demosamples used by Discipulus veritatis are public domain. Also he doesn't respond in any way substantively to the allegations made by expert-users and sampleset producers regarding his (commercial) composition sets. In my opinion this pratice infringes copyright and is plagiarism. I also will modify my license agreement for my existing and further sample sets with the prohibition to use my samples in (commercial) composite sets. And inform SP and HW about this situation.

Grt, Danny

monorganist

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 am

sesquialtera wrote:I wonder what will be the next step ...

:arrow: https://organareginaecaeli.wordpress.com/in-progress/

- Composite of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Composite of Saint John Fisher
- English Gothic Cathedral Composite
- Various composites
- More composites

:wink:

lefranc22

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 11:21 am

You can read on Sonus Paradisi's website (Basic info / Customizations)::
On occasion, someone may desire additional features for a model to create a new, extended organ model. For example, placing another division under expression, or adding new stops derived from existing stops. Of course, this is no longer a model of an existing organ, but the results can be quite amazing from a “what if?” perspective. There are many possibilities. Within Hauptwerk, there is a feature called Custom Organ Definition Module (CODM). It permits many of these sorts of modifications, but not all. Many require modifications to the original organ’s definition file instead. Also, using CODM can be difficult for the average person. Sonus Paradisi can perform model modifications by changing the original Organ Definition File for a reasonable fee. Contact us for more information.
It does not appear that using his demos would be a problem for Jiri Zurek. Encouraged by this opportunity Augustine (AVO) had planned to use them as the basis for the writing of 3 free composites (SP Great Baroque, SP Great Romantic and SP Modern) and he had told him of his intention. Jiri's answer is mentioned on AVO's website:
'I think that I have now very many free demo sample sets. This gives me an idea, if there is some volunteer able to do it for fun, what about to COMBINE all those free demo sample sets of Sonus Paradisi into one Giganteous large sample set. I think many people would be happy. (......) Think that these all together - if someone makes some logical and wise placement of the stops to different manuals (perhaps 4 manuals and a pedal) - should be quite large free playable sample set. What do you think?'
And Jiri never objected.
Last edited by lefranc22 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lougheed

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 12:58 pm

"Sonus Paradisi can perform model modifications by changing the original Organ Definition File for a reasonable fee."

I was not aware of this. That could be be very useful.

scottherbert

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 6:40 am

While it may be true that anybody can do as they wish, as well as like what they like, I do not oppose this persons right to make these sets. My issue, however, is that UNLIKE Augustine (AVO) and others that have done so, he asks for money for these composites. The source materials are freely provided by Sonus Paradisi. This person claims to be a monk, who should have taken vows of poverty. Somewhere his ego feels self righteous enough to think he is "persecuted" for his efforts (his words).

Do what you want, play what you want, like what you want. Personally, I do not feel this is right.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

monorganist

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 9:22 am

scottherbert wrote:My issue, however, is that UNLIKE Augustine (AVO) and others that have done so, he asks for money for these composites. The source materials are freely provided by Sonus Paradisi. This person claims to be a monk, who should have taken vows of poverty. Somewhere his ego feels self righteous enough to think he is "persecuted" for his efforts (his words).

He told you he would no longer have access to the necessary resources to create new sets once he had entered the monastery:
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17378&p=131529
So he isn't a monk yet.
Anyway, we don't know where the money he earns goes (not my business). Perhaps, while you are criticizing him, he's putting that money aside for charity works.

seh52

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 10:35 am

The source materials are freely provided by Sonus Paradisi.

Organa composites require purchase of at least one whole sample set, usually from Sonus. Free demos augment it.

I see Organa composites as FANTASY virtual organs based on stop lists of existing pipe organs. Organa clearly states that these are not sampled replicas of the existing organs.

I have purchased and installed a few Organa composites. I had already purchased and installed the components from Sonus.

These composite sets have benefited from hours of my "tonal finishing" work to become musical in my space. I have generally enjoyed this challenge and have achieved unique and dramatic results unlike any of my other real virtual pipe organs.

So, I'd like to thank Organa Reginae Caeli for sharing these fun fantasy organs with me. I wish Organa well as they continue to create and improve their work.

Discipulus.veritatis

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 12:18 pm

seh52 wrote:
The source materials are freely provided by Sonus Paradisi.

Organa composites require purchase of at least one whole sample set, usually from Sonus. Free demos augment it.

I see Organa composites as FANTASY virtual organs based on stop lists of existing pipe organs. Organa clearly states that these are not sampled replicas of the existing organs.

I have purchased and installed a few Organa composites. I had already purchased and installed the components from Sonus.

These composite sets have benefited from hours of my "tonal finishing" work to become musical in my space. I have generally enjoyed this challenge and have achieved unique and dramatic results unlike any of my other real virtual pipe organs.

So, I'd like to thank Organa Reginae Caeli for sharing these fun fantasy organs with me. I wish Organa well as they continue to create and improve their work.

I would like to thank Seh52 for wonderfully clarifying the matter. Indeed it is clearly stated on the website that they are not intended to replicate the existing organs, but only give a resemblance through exact stoplists and similar organs. Sonus Paradisi will always make profit off of the purchasable composites since there are requisite samples that must be purchased, thus the work in this way becomes profitable for Sonus and a help to them, more than to us.

As for the profit, I am sure many other websites have not stated where their money goes, or at least the greater portion of it. As for mine, as has been stated before, ALL of the funds are donated to charitable causes, and it is in only limited circumstances that the funds ever go somewhere else, and then it is still for charitable causes. I hope this clarifies the matter. I am very glad many find these composites helpful, and so they will continue for theirs and others benefit, even if they must take mean assaults from people who state they are acting kindly, when others clearly see their misdeed.

P.S. To not confuse that the composites are not intended to be exact replicas of existing organs, the composite names have been altered slightly. I am still entering the monastery, it has only been moved to a later date for those who are interested. May God bless you all! :)

adri

Re: Composite of Saint John of the Cross - Neo-Classical II

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 1:01 am

Jason: The following is not intended to be a mean question, as you know where I stand on all these composites, but more of a FYI inquiry: once you enter the monastery, will your website be closed?

Discipulus.veritatis

Re: Composite of Saint John of the Cross - Neo-Classical II

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am

adri wrote:Jason: The following is not intended to be a mean question, as you know where I stand on all these composites, but more of a FYI inquiry: once you enter the monastery, will your website be closed?

Dear Adri,

Thank you for writing. Fortunately it will still be run and there will be additional composites made available, so no worries there. I hope this helps!

God bless!
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments