Search:
Submit Search


Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...

Re: Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Postby sonar11 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:52 am

adri, you really don't get it, do you? Having a phd in organology maybe is inflating your sense of worth/value here. It's fine to be an expert in organology, but as I've pointed out to you before, there is more than just organ knowledge that goes into the accurate and high quality reproduction of sound and a pipe organ. My example: can you really do justice to a high quality sample with just 2 front speakers? As an expert in audio, my answer is "no". Yet you are fully happy with your limited/amateurish sound system; why can't amateurs be happy with a sample set that you consider amateurish?

Thanks to your comments and the comments of others here, we just lost a possible sample set producer. Maybe his samples so far have not been perfect, but I can point to samples from every producer as "less than perfect", and people need time to learn and adapt and grow their skills.

OAM obviously has an axe to grind because he is a sample producer, his conflict is obvious. But yours, I'm just scratching my head. I hope you're very proud of your self.

I'm going to take my own advice and just leave this forum. This place has dropped off the deep end; Brett and Martin are missing in action, and with all the ego's in here there is no room left for me. I wish you guys all the best.
sonar11
Member
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Postby CarsonCooman » Thu May 30, 2019 10:13 am

sonar11 wrote:Thanks to your comments and the comments of others here, we just lost a possible sample set producer. OAM obviously has an axe to grind because he is a sample producer, his conflict is obvious.


Regardless of one's opinion on the larger topic of this thread (or the quality or lack thereof found in the composite sample sets), it is worth clarifying that the developer "produced" no new samples himself (certainly not in the way that OAM and others do). The composites being released that bore the names of very famous organs were made from parts of (primarily) Sonus Paradisi's full sample sets and demos.
User avatar
CarsonCooman
Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Cambridge, MA

Re: Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Postby sonar11 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:38 am

CarsonCooman wrote:
sonar11 wrote:Thanks to your comments and the comments of others here, we just lost a possible sample set producer. OAM obviously has an axe to grind because he is a sample producer, his conflict is obvious.


Regardless of one's opinion on the larger topic of this thread (or the quality or lack thereof found in the composite sample sets), it is worth clarifying that the developer "produced" no new samples himself (certainly not in the way that OAM and others do). The composites being released that bore the names of very famous organs were made from parts of (primarily) Sonus Paradisi's full sample sets and demos.


That doesn't really change anything; adri, oam, and others have no business coming onto the official hauptwerk forum and trashing the work of an enthusiast/amateur/or even a pro; personal opinions are perfectly fine, but what they are doing here is disgusting. "Plagiarism"? :?
sonar11
Member
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Postby Discipulus.veritatis » Thu May 30, 2019 10:50 am

sonar11 wrote:
CarsonCooman wrote:
sonar11 wrote:Thanks to your comments and the comments of others here, we just lost a possible sample set producer. OAM obviously has an axe to grind because he is a sample producer, his conflict is obvious.


Regardless of one's opinion on the larger topic of this thread (or the quality or lack thereof found in the composite sample sets), it is worth clarifying that the developer "produced" no new samples himself (certainly not in the way that OAM and others do). The composites being released that bore the names of very famous organs were made from parts of (primarily) Sonus Paradisi's full sample sets and demos.


That doesn't really change anything; adri, oam, and others have no business coming onto the official hauptwerk forum and trashing the work of an enthusiast/amateur/or even a pro; personal opinions are perfectly fine, but what they are doing here is disgusting. "Plagiarism"? :?


Dear Sonar,

You don't have to worry about me, I am not stopping these sample sets due to any pressure, lastly from those who do it from personal reasons and not objectivity. (Adri has some issues with my beliefs I believe, and thus I only believe it is a sort of revenge, so how can anyone take it seriously?). It is funny how mentioning God can create such a reaction among people, for they know He is true, but decide to live otherwise by their actions, regardless of what their opinions on faith is (referring to the comment above about " God bless". Faith without works is pointless. I am stopping because I will entering a monastery, so I will not be able to create them anymore. Please don't take any of these people seriously, they really have no reason to be attacking someone for their own personal hobby, regardless whether they find it suits their standards or not. I do heartily thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated. I hope to see you some day, and know my prayers accompany you.
User avatar
Discipulus.veritatis
Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Postby sesquialtera » Thu May 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Dear Mr Discipulus V,
First , sorry for the misunderstanding about "May god bless you" and other kind words :
english is not my native language.
It's not against you, but I think there is a big paradox :
You're talking about going into a monastery, serving God and ... I fully respect that.
BUT doing so many second-rate sample sets by mixing free demos and using usurped famous cathedral organs names and ask money for that ...

It seems to me so unlogical ! (I hope you understand my point of view... )
sesquialtera
Member
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm
Location: france

Re: Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Postby adri » Thu May 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Dear Discipulus:

Well, to tell the truth, I have not said a word about your beliefs; you must have misread me? Please put your mistaken thought away about that quickly. Also, the suggestion that I am revengeful is far from true. That was quite uncalled for.

I am only concerned about the musical quality of sample sets, and frankly, to be brutally honest, for example, your latest Koln set just doesn't cut it whatsoever. For example, I'm hearing all kinds of strange noises, probably caused by artificially increasing the reverb. The entire impression is not convincing. Also, your source samples are organs that are far apart in style and building periods. Can anything good come from this as you produce them at breakneck speeds?

In that sense you are doing nobody a real service.

This is nothing personal against you as a person; I believe you believe that you are doing us a service, out of the goodness of your heart (I will never question that,) and you even hope to even get a little money from it in return as a bonus or reward for your hard work. Only the actual results are in question.

As an organ expert with a Ph.D. in organology, having grown up with historical organs, having investigated them, having written reports used in restorations, etc., and having played many old organs, and having had lessons on the world famous Aa-Kerk organ of Groningen, and having a large collection of organ CDs of such great instruments, plus my advancing years, I hope I am well qualified to put serious question marks to the achieved results from your efforts. I believe that is fair, objective, educated, and well intended.

Some people are attacking me for thinking I am being bossy, or trying to curtail people. This is not why I post here. I repeat: I am only interested in the final results. And I am free to express myself about that! And I am not afraid of a little controversy, for that makes people think.

Blessings to you too, and I wish you a blessed life in the monastery.

Thanks.
Last edited by adri on Thu May 30, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adri
Member
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:33 am
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Postby josq » Thu May 30, 2019 1:44 pm

The two views are conflicting because they are/were stated negatively : "do not make inferior sample sets" vs "do not disparage the work of others".

To me, the conflict disappears when stating the two views positively : "appreciate hobbyism" AND "strive for the highest quality".
josq
Member
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Good idea for end users making new sample sets?

Postby Discipulus.veritatis » Thu May 30, 2019 1:59 pm

josq wrote:The two views are conflicting because they are/were stated negatively : "do not make inferior sample sets" vs "do not disparage the work of others".

To me, the conflict disappears when stating the two views positively : "appreciate hobbyism" AND "strive for the highest quality".


Dear Josq,

I see that as a good way of putting it. My limited capabilities can only go so far, as again, it is a hobby and not a professional manufacturer or however one puts it. I see these arguments just going in circles, and for someone to be so bent on proving a point when it is easily overturned and majority is against them, well, there has to be some motivation that is not good. Of course these samples take a good amount of work to do, and that is why some are for sale and others are free. If one does not like it, then they don't have to buy it. Some people buy them, some don't, it's just a matter of personal preference. I will take sonar's advice and take my leave of this topic as well, for it is quite pointless at this point, as everything has been explained and yet somehow emotions still cloud judgement. May God bless you all.
User avatar
Discipulus.veritatis
Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:58 pm

Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests