It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm

Clavichord samples restricted to mono 16-bit [SOLVED]

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

bachstudies

Clavichord samples restricted to mono 16-bit [SOLVED]

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 5:18 pm

On loading the Sonus Paradisi Klavichord the piano samples can be loaded correctly at 24-bit stereo but the mf and f samples are restricted to mono and 16-bit (or lower). I wondered if anyone else sees this behavior either on first load or via the load organ with adjustments option? All the samples look to be 24-bit stereo in the folders so this is a bit of a puzzle.

I should add that I'm on v. 4.2.1 (basic edition).

Chris
Last edited by bachstudies on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bachstudies

Re: Clavichord samples restricted to mono 16-bit

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Can anyone confirm the mono 16-bit for mf and f samples on loading? Only yesterday I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 with a fresh install and I see the same behavior...

engrssc

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Doubt the OS has anything to do with it. Have you checked with Sonus Paradisi? If so what their response?

Rgds,
Ed

bachstudies

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 5:56 pm

I agree OS has nothing to do with it -- I'm simply showing that a fresh install produced the same results and thereby increased the likelihood that I'm not the only one experiencing this. The issue is that I can't tell sound-wise whether the mono 16-bit is actually happening given that Hauptwerk still pans mono into the stereo field?

The first thing I did was reach out to Jiri but I think he was/is traveling for a couple of weeks so posted here in the meantime. I'm surprised nobody has at least confirmed or denied this situation but I guess the clavichord is somewhat of a niche download. I was planning on using the instrument for an upcoming recording so the 16-bit/24-bit mono/stereo matters in the sense I want the best possible sound quality...

engrssc

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 8:04 pm

The demo recording appears to be in stereo, maybe? Not sure.

I saw a note about the sample set was created for HW v2 and no guarantees were made for any other (version).

Somewhere in my archives I no doubt have a copy of v2 because I started with v1.0 from Crumhorn Labs. Doubt if that would be useful.

Rgds,
Ed

bachstudies

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 1:16 am

Thanks. I have reached out to Jiri again to see if he can shed any light on this. If this is a HW v.4 compatibility issue then I can't blame him given he makes clear on his website that it was indeed made for v.2 with no guarantees for later versions. It's such a good instrument (along with his two exceptional harpsichords) that it would be a real shame if it isn't loading as he originally intended.

lefranc22

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 4:00 am

I downloaded this sample set a long time ago, when it was shareware. I just found and reinstall it. It works perfectly with Hauptwerk 4.2.1 and a velocity sensitive keyboard (which allows you to make nuances). Although the samples are stereo 24-bit (package 357) the sample set can only be opened in 16-bit mono. :(

OrganoPleno

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 12:46 pm

lefranc22 wrote:Although the samples are stereo 24-bit (package 357) the sample set can only be opened in 16-bit mono.(

Then all we have to do is modify (or re-write) the Definition File, to make optimal use of the Samples provided!

Either in Hauptwerk, or in another language such as Sforzando by Plogue.

evertjan

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Issue in this instrument is that there is 1 stop. But there are 3 attack samples and 9 release samples pro key: piano, mf and f.
Based on the velocity (hard or soft attack) and the length of that 1 of the 3 attack samples/9 release samples are played.
Also see http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/h ... model.html and then tab features.

In the _General part of the ODF the tag <AudioOut_OptimalFormat_SampleRateCode> is set to 3. That is 48 kHz.

In the ODF part Pipe_SoundEngineLayer there is 1 stop defined (for the stop 'piano') and all "pipes" are defined stereo and 24 bits. These samples can be loaded in 24 bits/stereo format. The other 2 stops (mf and f) cannot be defined here because in that case they are seen as 2 other stops, not related to the stop 'piano'. So, they also cannot be defined as 24 bits/stereo.
All 3 attack/9 release samples have pro key a unique PipeID and all together the same LayerID and RankID (piano). So they are related to each other and operate as 1 stop.

In my opinion HW must have the knowledge that the other 2 attack/6 release samples have the same definitions as the piano-stop, but doesn't. I think that if it is not defined, the defaults are 16bit/mono.

I don't see a solution at this moment. Maybe another person ........

bachstudies

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 1:59 pm

This is great detective work! Here's hoping that a solution can be found either through a change in the instrument definitions or via a minor update in a future Hauptwerk version. For now, I think I'll have to record the MIDI rather than the audio and hope that in the near future I will be able render using the full 24/stereo samples...

bachstudies

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:48 pm

I just heard back from Jiri (who heard back from Hauptwerk devs!) that the instrument is sounding as it should and we should ignore the mono/16-bit information. Apparently the clavichord p samples at 24-bit stereo are the basis for the whole instrument. All is well! Thanks to all who responded and thanks to Jiri for finally solving this mystery.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments