It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:15 am

Skinner dry with HW5 reverb?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

jwillans

Skinner dry with HW5 reverb?

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:18 am

My all time favourite sample set is the Skinner Wet although limited because of the single release samples. I upgraded to the Skinner Dry many years ago but never pursued the reverb path to make this viable and consequently have never used this. Has anyone tried using the Skinner Dry with HW5 and its convolution reverb? What is your view on this instrument when used in this way?

MikeDC

Re: Skinner dry with HW5 reverb?

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:58 pm

jwillans wrote:My all time favourite sample set is the Skinner Wet although limited because of the single release samples. I upgraded to the Skinner Dry many years ago but never pursued the reverb path to make this viable and consequently have never used this. Has anyone tried using the Skinner Dry with HW5 and its convolution reverb? What is your view on this instrument when used in this way?

I too would love to know if anyone has tried MDA's Skinner Dry Sampleset with HW5 Reverb. Which impulse did you use? How do you like it?

paulw

PostWed May 06, 2020 10:13 am

Am pondering HW5 upgrade and possibly Skinner sampleset. Is it "better" to buy the dry and use HW5 reverb, or buy wet? Am only every going to use headphones.

Thanks - Paul

larason2

PostWed May 06, 2020 11:19 am

I have some dry sets and some wet demos, and the route I would certainly go with Hauptwerk 5 is to buy the dry and add reverb. The reason is that you can then add reverb to your taste, with a lot of good options built into Hauptwerk V. I was initially skeptical of the value of convolution reverb, but after learning how to apply it I am totally sold. In fact I realized that I had chosen sets in the past for the amount of reverb they had. Now you can buy a dry set and tune it to your exact taste.

ContraDulciana16

PostThu May 07, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi all. I did just this set up with a trial of the Skinner Dry. I typically used the Sonus Paradisi St. Maximin impulse response and shortened the decay a bit as it is really really wet. After some minor effort setting up the mixer (I used about 55% wet mix, -12 wet level adjust) and voicing of some stops for balance, it sounded pretty good.

In fact, I played it so regularly during the trial period I intended to buy it (would've been my first non Sonus Paradisi set). Then my hours were cut due to the pandemic and I didn't buy it. It's on my list for better times.

So yes, it works very well.

paulw

PostFri May 08, 2020 4:20 am

Thank you both - really appreciated

Return to Hauptwerk instruments