It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:05 pm

Laurenskerk Main organ configuration

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

voet

Laurenskerk Main organ configuration

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 2:08 pm

One of my favorite Hauptwerk sample sets is the main organ in the Laurenskerk, Rotterdam, Netherlands built by the Danish firm Marcussen & Søn. This instrument was constructed about a decade after the firm had completed their restoration of the Christian Müller organ in St. Baavo, Haarlem. Marcussen was clearly influenced by Müller. Both instruments have gilded, polychrome cases which are nearly identical. They both have 32’ Principals in the Pedal Towers, 16’ Principals as the anchor of the Hoofdwerk, and a striking feature of both instruments is their use of multi-rank Principal stops.

However, Marcussen did not merely create an historic copy, the firm went beyond the historic inspiration to create a modern instrument with French and Spanish influences resulting in one of the finest 20th century organs for rendering the breadth of organ repertoire.

Two divisions that expands the historic model are the French-inspired Bovenwerk in a swell box and the Spanish-inspired Chamade reeds.

Sonus Paradisis added a feature which greatly enhances the versatility of the original. As they state on their website:

Our virtual model extends the use of the Chamade division by making it … [operate] either from the IIIrd manual (as the original), or alternatively from the IVth manual. … Chamada trumpets can be coupled to [the] IVth manual, thus increasing greatly the usability of the Chamada division as a Solo division, accompanied by the symphonic IIIrd manual.

When I attempted to implement this option on my 3 manual console. I originally used Hauptwerk master couplers when I wanted to play the Borstwerk (manual IV). But when I did that, the chamades would not play on the manual where I coupled the Borstwerk. After some discussion with François Ratté, who in turn had sent an email to Jiri Zurek, we found out that the Chamade division will not work with master couplers.

The solution that ultimately worked used the following manual assignments:
Manual 1. Rugwerk & Borstwerk
Manual 2. Hoofdwerk
Manual 3. Bovenwerk (Swell)

To play the Chamades on the Borstwerk, you need to turn off “Chamade Aan” (which makes the Chamades play on the Bovenwerk,) and turn on the “Borstwerk + Chamade.” This makes the Chamades play on manual 1 with the above configuaration.

If I activate the Rugwerk to Hoofdwerk or Rugwerk to Pedal couplers, they only couple the Rugwerk stops. When the Chamades are coupled to the Borstwerk, the Borstwerk to Hoofdwerk or Borstwerk to Pedal couplers bring on the Chamades to those divisions.

This configuration facilitates playing repertoire using a big solo reed.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments