It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:29 pm


PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Lougheed

Member

  • Posts: 582
  • Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:08 pm
  • Location: Canada

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 11:30 am

giwro wrote:... we’re already working on our next 5 sets :lol:

Amazing! Looking forward to the eventual releases :-)
Offline
User avatar

giwro

Member

  • Posts: 720
  • Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:22 am
  • Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 12:00 pm

smfrank wrote:
giwro wrote:we’re already working on our next 5 sets :lol:

That's great. So, what are they :)
Steve


HAHAHA

You know we don't divulge that this early in the game. [chuckle]

But, let me just say, one is a rather significant instrument with some "famous organist-composer" history attached to it, and another is an historic older American instrument...

Of the 5, 3 will have multiple perspectives, since the rooms are live enough to warrant that.

That's about all I can tell you right now, but it is very exciting to see these come to fruition!
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net
Offline

murph

Member

  • Posts: 663
  • Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 2:19 pm

I'm intrigued now. I hope it's Barber........(They were talking about sampling it..)
Offline
User avatar

giwro

Member

  • Posts: 720
  • Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:22 am
  • Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 10:20 pm

murph wrote:I'm intrigued now. I hope it's Barber........(They were talking about sampling it..)


Barber? What the heck (where) is that?
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net
Offline

Thomas344

Member

  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: Wed May 13, 2020 5:27 am

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 3:35 am

Can you please say something about the memory requirements? How much RAM is needed and what is the best way to load the instrument and at what memory? Many thanks!
Thomas
Offline

murph

Member

  • Posts: 663
  • Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 8:21 am

giwro wrote:
murph wrote:I'm intrigued now. I hope it's Barber........(They were talking about sampling it..)


Barber? What the heck (where) is that?



Longwood Gardens. (Barber wrote a piece for the organ there). There were talks about sampling it to help prospective contestants for the competition.
Offline
User avatar

giwro

Member

  • Posts: 720
  • Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:22 am
  • Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am

Thomas344 wrote:Can you please say something about the memory requirements? How much RAM is needed and what is the best way to load the instrument and at what memory? Many thanks!
Thomas


I load it in 20-bit, that takes just under 10 gB
Typically, 24-bit takes about 10-11% more memory (so, probably 11-12gb) and 16-bit about half as much.
Note that these figures are for loading compressed...

Even though it’s a large organ, because the room is so dry and there is a single perspective, it fits in much less ram.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net
Offline

vpo-organist

Member

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:49 am

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 1:58 pm

I load this organ with 24 Bit uncompressed, truncated Releases (250ms) and Convolution Reverb, High-Definition. The Task Manager shows ca. 14 GB for the Hauptwerk.exe.
Offline

smfrank

Member

  • Posts: 263
  • Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:53 am
  • Location: NY, NY

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 4:19 pm

murph wrote:Longwood Gardens. (Barber wrote a piece for the organ there). There were talks about sampling it to help prospective contestants for the competition.

Boy, that would be fantastic.
Anyone doing that sign me up NOW!
Steve
Offline
User avatar

giwro

Member

  • Posts: 720
  • Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:22 am
  • Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 5:57 pm

smfrank wrote:
murph wrote:Longwood Gardens. (Barber wrote a piece for the organ there). There were talks about sampling it to help prospective contestants for the competition.

Boy, that would be fantastic.
Anyone doing that sign me up NOW!
Steve


I actually talked with them about this at the 2016 AGO convention in Houston. I've never heard back from them, but I'm pretty sure that's where the idea came from.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net
Offline

murph

Member

  • Posts: 663
  • Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Follow up???
There seemed to be quite a desire for it after the completion of the restoration. Until COVID-19 gets sorted on a Worldwide basis, it seems to be a useful policy.
Offline

vpo-organist

Member

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:49 am

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Hello, I miss the normal couplers that are listed on the Evensong-website under "Reversible thumb Pedals" (Solo to Pedal, Choir to Pedal etc.). Only the 16/8/4 couplers are present on the Simple Screen.
Are the couplers still made available?
Is there a documentation about the pistons on the console screen? Unfortunately the inscription is not readable. A tooltip would have been helpful.

Regards
Offline
User avatar

CarsonCooman

Member

  • Posts: 160
  • Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:01 am
  • Location: Cambridge, MA

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 5:13 pm

vpo-organist wrote:Hello, I miss the normal couplers that are listed on the Evensong-website under "Reversible thumb Pedals" (Solo to Pedal, Choir to Pedal etc.). Only the 16/8/4 couplers are present on the Simple Screen. Are the couplers still made available? Is there a documentation about the pistons on the console screen? Unfortunately the inscription is not readable. A tooltip would have been helpful.


If you right click on a given control on the photo console screen (like the pedal reversibles), it will show you what its full name is.

Of course for all the couplers (including the "normal" ones), you can indeed access those on the simple screen—the normal (unison) ones being the 8' labeled couplers.
Offline

smfrank

Member

  • Posts: 263
  • Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:53 am
  • Location: NY, NY

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 8:22 am

Here's an Improvisation on "Veni Emmanuel" on the real PPC organ by Timothy Howard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5LCEr6 ... TBe5RICJ3A

Steve
Offline

vpo-organist

Member

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:49 am

Re: PPC Aeolian Skinner Released & Black Friday Sale begins!

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 11:54 am

CarsonCooman wrote:If you right click on a given control on the photo console screen (like the pedal reversibles), it will show you what its full name is.
Of course for all the couplers (including the "normal" ones), you can indeed access those on the simple screen—the normal (unison) ones being the 8' labeled couplers.

Thank you, Carson. This helps me.

Regards
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests