It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:01 am

Wanted: able organist for demo recording (Sonus Paradisi)

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Wanted: able organist for demo recording (Sonus Paradisi)

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 2:42 am

I am looking for an able, flexible and inventive organist, who is fluent in the big and popular organ pieces and would be willing to record them using my sample sets.
The idea is to provide a sort of "standard set" of music, composed of the best known organ pieces on my various virtual instrument (even where the style of the organ is not exactly suitable for the music), so that inexperienced users may sense how the music they know well may sound on the instrument.

Insulaner

Re: Wanted: able organist for demo recording (Sonus Paradisi

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 3:04 am

I am not volunteering, just too bad a player :D
But I think this is a wonderful idea! How often did I search contrebombarde to compare different sample sets. On pcorgan.com they had a similar project, but it was discontinued, so all of the newer sets are not included.

DomD

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Why only popular music ? One of my last original (and of course unknown music) contribution on CCH exceeded 2000 listeners (Livre d'orgue de Dame Beatrix Tassin) and another 1000 (Daniel Croner's Magnificat). I bought you a few weeks ago the Prag Thyn sample... and had no time (sorry) to achieve recordings (and post them) of an unkknown german composer whose music sounds absolutly delicious on this wonderful organ (I had also the chance to meet its organist Michal Novenko when he came in France). But I can understand that well known music is more attractive and seduce more people. But your project is interresting to encourage more people to listen to organ music. Good Luck !

sesquialtera

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 3:09 am

sonar11

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 5:16 pm

DomD wrote:Why only popular music ? One of my last original (and of course unknown music) contribution on CCH exceeded 2000 listeners (Livre d'orgue de Dame Beatrix Tassin) and another 1000 (Daniel Croner's Magnificat). I bought you a few weeks ago the Prag Thyn sample... and had no time (sorry) to achieve recordings (and post them) of an unkknown german composer whose music sounds absolutly delicious on this wonderful organ (I had also the chance to meet its organist Michal Novenko when he came in France). But I can understand that well known music is more attractive and seduce more people. But your project is interresting to encourage more people to listen to organ music. Good Luck !

My guess is that in this specific case, he wants a library that is well known so that the most amount of customers can hear music they know on a specific organ. He is not (primarily) intending to encourage more people to listen to organ music (with these specific recordings).

I think its a great idea. After the initial midi recordings are made, with a new organ it should just be a matter of inputting registration, playing the midi file and recording it, and then we can get an exact comparison.

I unfortunately am not a suitable candidate for the task, but judging by the talent on CB it shouldn't be that hard to find a volunteer!

DomD

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 6:17 pm

sonar11 wrote:
DomD wrote:Why only popular music ? One of my last original (and of course unknown music) contribution on CCH exceeded 2000 listeners (Livre d'orgue de Dame Beatrix Tassin) and another 1000 (Daniel Croner's Magnificat). I bought you a few weeks ago the Prag Thyn sample... and had no time (sorry) to achieve recordings (and post them) of an unkknown german composer whose music sounds absolutly delicious on this wonderful organ (I had also the chance to meet its organist Michal Novenko when he came in France). But I can understand that well known music is more attractive and seduce more people. But your project is interresting to encourage more people to listen to organ music. Good Luck !

My guess is that in this specific case, he wants a library that is well known so that the most amount of customers can hear music they know on a specific organ. He is not (primarily) intending to encourage more people to listen to organ music (with these specific recordings).

I think its a great idea. After the initial midi recordings are made, with a new organ it should just be a matter of inputting registration, playing the midi file and recording it, and then we can get an exact comparison.

I unfortunately am not a suitable candidate for the task, but judging by the talent on CB it shouldn't be that hard to find a volunteer!

There is a misunderstanding about what I wrote certainly due to my lack of fluency in English .... Sorry to use Google translation.... What I wanted to say is more simple. Very popular music is necessary but it is also important to feed the curiosity of the listeners by proposing unknown works on specific organs with specific colors and of course by explaining them. Why specific organs ? For example I can't imagine playing César Franck on a Silbermann or Reger on a french Baroque organ with unequal temperament, but playing Bach on a Cavaillé-COll is possible and sounds great. Some modern organs are able to play a large part of the répertoire.
Like you, I think it's a good idea, but it needs perhaps a touch of educational approach too. When I play in concert, I always explain to the public what he is going to hear, and it's really well appreciated. I also encourage people to ask questions during or after the concert.. It breaks some elitist vision of organ recitals. Explanations and variety in what you propose is important to attract people. Hope my thoughs are clearer here.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 9:06 pm

I don't think transferring a MIDI file from one organ to another, even with adjustments to registration, would work very well. Surely part of playing a specific organ is responding to the way it sounds. I would not, for instance, play a piece of Bach the same way on a Cavaille-Coll instrument as I would a Baroque organ, or at the same tempo. Even when the instruments are more similar, if one of them is recorded in a more reverberant space then your touch needs to be more detached. Phrasing that works with one sampleset would not necessarily be right for a different one.

Very often organists are constrained by the ideosyncrasies of the instruments they are confronted with, and the best ones turn that to their advantage and find creative solutions that enhance the music. I would imagine that Jiri is looking for somebody who is able to do that in order to showcase his samplesets.

Hoofdwerk

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 1:00 pm

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote: I would imagine that Jiri is looking for somebody who is able to do that in order to showcase his samplesets.

Yes, this is correct. I have done demo recordings for Jiri for nearly a decade now, but my repertoire is focused on new, uncommon, or unjustly overlooked/forgotten pieces. I don't play "the usual suspects" very often. Likewise, Carson Cooman has done many fine demos for many years, but his specialty is contemporary music. I believe Jiri is looking for someone who knows the core repertoire well so that those pieces can be recorded as demos on appropriate models.

Erik

sonar11

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 7:01 pm

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:I don't think transferring a MIDI file from one organ to another, even with adjustments to registration, would work very well. Surely part of playing a specific organ is responding to the way it sounds. I would not, for instance, play a piece of Bach the same way on a Cavaille-Coll instrument as I would a Baroque organ, or at the same tempo. Even when the instruments are more similar, if one of them is recorded in a more reverberant space then your touch needs to be more detached. Phrasing that works with one sampleset would not necessarily be right for a different one.

Very often organists are constrained by the ideosyncrasies of the instruments they are confronted with, and the best ones turn that to their advantage and find creative solutions that enhance the music. I would imagine that Jiri is looking for somebody who is able to do that in order to showcase his samplesets.

No doubt one adjusts their style for the organ.

I'm not saying Jiri can't do what he feels best, but if it were me I wouldn't worry about that. The purpose (as I understand it) of this library is getting a picture for how the organ sounds with familiar music. A direct "A to B to C" comparison. It doesn't have to be concert level (for me anyway). Just mostly free of glaring mistakes and proper registration.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments