It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Salisbury - release artifacts?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

jwillans

Salisbury - release artifacts?

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:21 am

I've noticed for many years, I am hearing release artifacts on the Salisbury set when using HW4. I don't hear this on the, relatively speaking, dry St Anne's but hear it to a lesser extent on the Armley Schulze. It can be reproduced by simply drawing a single 8ft on the Great and playing an arpeggio. The artifact sounds like a small amount of water draining and I assume it is the tails of the samples conspiring! Any one else hearing this, might it improved in HW5/6?

mdyde

Re: Salisbury - release artifacts?

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:51 am

Hello James,

From your description, I would guess that you're referring to residual noise reduction artefacts in the samples themselves, which are impossible to eliminate entirely when making a sample set of an organ, especially due to the presence of the (real) blower and the need to use noise reduction software to try to remove as much of it as possible as unobtrusively as possible. If so, then Hauptwerk v5/v6 couldn't lessen that (since it would be in the samples).

If the high-definition pitch-shifting and/or 96 kHz options are enabled v6 will significantly reduce overall *playback* distortions, usually giving noticeably improved overall clarity.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jwillans

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:59 am

Many thanks Martin, I suspected as much. What's interesting is that on release the sound fades and then increases in volume slightly with this effect. I wonder if this could be cancelled algorithmically - i.e to recognise the trajectory of sound on release and fade appropriately?

mdyde

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks, James.

jwillans wrote:I wonder if this could be cancelled algorithmically - i.e to recognise the trajectory of sound on release and fade appropriately?

Assuming the noise you're referring to is indeed due to noise reduction artefacts then I think anything like that would be best implemented within the noise reduction software (not Hauptwerk itself), especially since any artefacts would depend so much on the noise reduction software and settings that had been used, as well as the frequencies that were originally present in the blower and pipe, etc.
Best regards, Martin.

jwillans

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 11:00 am

Thanks Martin - have a lovely Christmas

mdyde

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 11:23 am

Thanks, James. You too.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments