It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

Nancy multireleases

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Aristide

Nancy multireleases

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 9:23 am

Hello, I was interested in the Nancy sample set but I am surprised and disappointed with the multirelease.
If I play (or listen demos) with something fast staccato (especially repeated notes) the effect is as an harp. (even using only the front configuration)
I don’t have this problem on NotreDame de Metz or many other quality samples for Hauptwerk.
How we can solve the problem? I think there is something wrong with the milliseconds settings of the middle multireleases. (and the short ones?)
I tried also the patch but the problem is not solved.

Lorenzo

mnailor

Re: Nancy multireleases

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 11:10 am

Try mixing Close and Front together 50/50 or even more Close for tighter-sounding releases. I do that, and also truncate Close, Front, and Middle releases to 3 seconds, leaving only Rear releases at full length. Otherwise, it's too buried in reverb for me.

Theorbe

PostThu Jun 23, 2022 5:20 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aristide

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 2:08 pm

so pity! it's a wonderful organ, samples are not bad but the multirelease absolutely keep me from buying it. (and I would need such an organ..) So pity! 700+ euros!

mnailor

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 3:20 pm

So you tried our suggestions and it didn't help?

Aristide

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 1:37 am

Yes, nothing helps. This sample set is broken as it is. The only solution is to cut the releases and add convolution reverb but it’s very bad solution, the reverb of the cathedral of Nancy is part of the magic. As Cavaillé-Coll said: “acoustic is the most important stop of the organ”. Another solution could be create a custom organ mod using the samples of Nancy and editing the milliseconds of the releases to find a better result. This organ sample set would finally have the success it deserves.

B777Captain

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 6:40 pm

I’m a little surprised the suggestion by MNailor didn’t work for you. I followed his advice earlier on my Nancy and it seemed to help quite a bit…. Making it much less “boomy” sounding.

I hope you find a nice solution as it is a good sample to play…with certain adjustments!!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 7:10 pm

I've been listening again to the few Vexo recordings of Nancy on youtube, since I can't find any CDs of Nancy.

In the Marchand dialog, when the texture is light, I hear scales and detached short notes ringing on much like in the sampleset, especially in the midrange. I'm not so sure there's something inaccurate about the sampleset's releases to be corrected. A staccato note rings in the room.

Theorbe

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giwro

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 am

FWIW, short releases in a highly reverberant room are ridiculously difficult to get right…

First of all, they must be played correctly, then one must set the correct number of ms for the length. Then, you must find the correct number for crossfade. In extreme cases, some of it can be corrected by using a graphic fade in audio editing software, but care must be taken - I’ve heard reverberant sets that cut off too abruptly on a short release, and that’s a sure sign of over-editing.

We’re working on the Blackburn set for Llannerch, and getting the short and medium releases as close to perfect as possible has been the most challenging part of the finishing process.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

Return to Hauptwerk instruments