It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:34 am

1877 Wm. Johnson 7 Sons released for HW 7+

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

giwro

Re: 1877 Wm. Johnson 7 Sons released for HW 7+

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 6:36 pm

Thanks for the (extensive!) nice review...

A few things just to clear stuff up (and satisfy the curious)

- The SW Diapason is indeed too loud - some spurious levels in the ODF... that has been corrected in the latest update (which also fixes a couple other minor details)
- Mics were set in place, levels were set, recording was done.... so what you hear is indeed what you get when you play "in the flesh"
- The organ was carefully maintained, and in stunning shape, so I think it's not a winding issue - I played it flat-out full organ with no noticeable sag, and I didn't hear any wind leaks while I was up in the balcony.... Furthermore, it was most recently refurbished by Dobson, so I seriously doubt it was mucked with at all tonally or wind-wise... Dobson does top-shelf work.
- Digital "smoke and mirrors....." well, yes, we did some to get the added voices, always shifting by a few notes to avoid phasing issues. I don't remember exactly what we used on all of the stops, but for example, the celeste to the Salicional is actually the GT 8' Spitzfloete at lower volume, shifted a few notes, and tuned sharp. The big Trompete Harmonique was our one "pull" from the library - it's actually the TH from the Basilica of St. Mary in Minneapolis, truncated a bit as the reverb there approaches 7-9 sec. That's why there is only 2 perspectives of it - I only recorded 2 at the Basilica.
- The quintadena and quintaton are two separate stops.

I'll probably think of more, but that's what pops in mind for now.

What I've found playing this organ is that you very much either have to take it on its terms and "play what works", or if you want to force it to play by your rules, you have to revoice it. My only revoicing for my use has been to goose the bottom octave of the 32' reed a bit, as I think maybe we voiced the addition a bit too small.

We actually recorded 4 perspectives, but the far one was unusable, for the most part.... the reverb was so excessive that notes overlapped, so it was kind of a moot point.

I heard that the buyers of the property were respectful and willing to allow the building to stay viable until the organ could be relocated... I hope a similar acoustic is found, as it is a true gem.... I'm glad we were able to document it.

Now, back to testing the Northrop organ.... :lol:
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

Posaune32

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 5:51 pm

giwro wrote:- The SW Diapason is indeed too loud - some spurious levels in the ODF... that has been corrected in the latest update (which also fixes a couple other minor details)

I'm curious to try the demo at some point - for clarification, has the update with that change already been released or is it yet to be released?

giwro

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 8:42 pm

Posaune32 wrote:
giwro wrote:- The SW Diapason is indeed too loud - some spurious levels in the ODF... that has been corrected in the latest update (which also fixes a couple other minor details)

I'm curious to try the demo at some point - for clarification, has the update with that change already been released or is it yet to be released?

Already released - the update link is posted on our site.
Jonathan Orwig

Posaune32

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 1:29 pm

I installed the Johnson demo along with the 1.02 patch, but it still seems to have the behavior of the Swell Diapason being significantly louder than the rest of the division.

giwro

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 3:57 pm

Posaune32 wrote:I installed the Johnson demo along with the 1.02 patch, but it still seems to have the behavior of the Swell Diapason being significantly louder than the rest of the division.

hmm.

I was pretty certain that it was fixed...

So, I checked the process sheet, and there were no amplitude adjustments made - unless we made a mistake in the ODF and added gain, it's consistent with the real instrument. We'll have another look.
Jonathan Orwig
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments