It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 am

Romsey Abbey

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Re: Romsey Abbey

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 11:33 am

Thomas344 wrote:
Second: The instrument is highly praised by BIS. Why then did they offer such an extensive extension. It no longer has much to do with the original instrument. What conclusion can be drawn from this?
Thomas

The original instrument from 1858 is from a time when the "German system" (continental influence) was growing in popularity in England, but dispositions were still mostly following a tradition that had stoplists resembling those from the late 1700s onward. So a Swell with no strings or 4' flute, for example, because the tradition was OD 8 SD 8 P4 F2.

This disposition was well suited to its use in the church at the time, and could easily handle the newish interest in Bach and Mendelssohn, etc., but the extensions sure help if you want to play Franck and Guilmant or anything from the 20th century. I don't think the extensions detract from the historical significance or build quality of the organ, but they do allow for more repertoire.

richmcveigh

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 11:37 am

mnailor wrote:
Thomas344 wrote:
Second: The instrument is highly praised by BIS. Why then did they offer such an extensive extension. It no longer has much to do with the original instrument. What conclusion can be drawn from this?
Thomas

The original instrument from 1858 is from a time when the "German system" (continental influence) was growing in popularity in England, but dispositions were still mostly following a tradition that had stoplists resembling those from the late 1700s onward. So a Swell with no strings or 4' flute, for example, because the tradition was OD 8 SD 8 P4 F2.

This disposition was well suited to its use in the church at the time, and could easily handle the newish interest in Bach and Mendelssohn, etc., but the extensions sure help if you want to play Franck and Guilmant or anything from the 20th century. I don't think the extensions detract from the historical significance or build quality of the organ, but they do allow for more repertoire.

Thank you.
I like organs. I like technology. This is why I like Hauptwerk.
- Richard McVeigh

Thomas344

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 12:12 pm

Hello Richard,

Regarding the screen, it is indeed a misunderstanding on my part. The user "yerrymartin" gave the impression with his comment that he was giving information about the set on your behalf.
I assumed that the images he sent would be the display highlights of your set. I did not know that mentioned user has nothing to do with you and he is probably without experience in marketing. Therefore, I apologize for my statement!

Thomas

marcus.reeves

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 1:18 pm

Thomas344 wrote:Hello Richard,

Regarding the screen, it is indeed a misunderstanding on my part. The user "yerrymartin" gave the impression with his comment that he was giving information about the set on your behalf.
I assumed that the images he sent would be the display highlights of your set. I did not know that mentioned user has nothing to do with you and he is probably without experience in marketing. Therefore, I apologize for my statement!

Thomas

Actually, Jerry Martin (to whom you are referring) had an awful lot to do with the creation of this organ. I think you owe him an apology too for your rather condescending remarks, especially as he made it quite clear that the images he attached were of the simple screens. I know nothing about Jerry’s marketing experience (I don’t much care) but his post was honest. Perhaps that’s anathema in marketing.
Best wishes,
Marcus

Thomas344

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 1:33 pm

marcus.reeves wrote:
Thomas344 wrote:I think you owe him an apology too for your rather condescending remarks, especially as he made it quite clear that the images he attached were of the simple screens.

Just take a deep breath. I think global warming is getting to all of us. I, for one, have cleared up the misunderstanding. So please don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

marcus.reeves

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 1:46 pm

Thomas344 wrote:
marcus.reeves wrote:
Thomas344 wrote:I think you owe him an apology too for your rather condescending remarks, especially as he made it quite clear that the images he attached were of the simple screens.

Just take a deep breath. I think global warming is getting to all of us. I, for one, have cleared up the misunderstanding. So please don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

I think not, but there we go.
Best wishes,
Marcus

Thomas344

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 2:06 pm

marcus.reeves wrote:I think not, but there we go.

Everyone may believe what he wants ;-)
But your taunts lead to nothing, except frustration.
In this respect, I see the matter as settled, since I have admitted my mistake.

mdyde

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 2:11 pm

Anyway, gentlemen, let's keep this forum topic friendly and on-topic, please.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

marcus.reeves

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 2:19 pm

mdyde wrote:Anyway, gentlemen, let's keep this forum topic friendly and on-topic, please.

Thank you, Martin.
Best wishes,
Marcus

Thomas344

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 2:34 pm

mdyde wrote:Anyway, gentlemen, let's keep this forum topic friendly and on-topic, please.

Too bad that you have to mention something like that extra!
Martin many thanks!

marcus.reeves

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 3:27 pm

Disagreements aside (and I apologise to Thomas for anything perhaps lost in translation), this is a first-rate sample set. The organ in Romsey Abbey is historic, relatively unaltered tonally or mechanically since it was built. Many in the Abbey community zealously guard its history. What Richard and Jerry have done here is very special and they have copiously filled a gap in Hauptwerk organs with this English gem. Sure, it doesn’t have the spacious acoustic of Salisbury or Blackburn but it has bags of character. The stops speak clearly into the warm acoustic, and they each have a unique voice. Like Blackburn, you have to think a little ‘outside of the box” to make this organ work but it’s a very rewarding experience. For those who enjoy this challenge, the original organ provides this. For anyone after a more conventional experience, the extended version gives you a glimpse of what could be if the organ was to be sympathetically modernised. Either way, it’s a glorious experience.

The presentation and recording is top notch. I’ve played the organ in Romsey on numerous occasions so I can vouch for the realism of the instrument: anyone who purchases and invests a little time in getting to know the instrument and how to work around any perceived shortcomings will not be disappointed. Bravo Jerry, bravo Richard!
Best wishes,
Marcus

adri

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 11:06 am

A 25 pound initial early bird discount isn't much of an incentive (about $30)

The asking price is not low, nor terribly high, but high enough to want to have a demo model first or a 10-14 day trial period.

No demo model so you can try this organ out first?

As a firstcomer on the scene, I think BIS has to be made attractive to non-UK organists as well, who don't know the Romsey organ at all.

This is my own initial reaction.

richmcveigh

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 11:44 am

adri wrote:A 25 pound initial early bird discount isn't much of an incentive (about $30)

The asking price is not low, nor terribly high, but high enough to want to have a demo model first or a 10-14 day trial period.

No demo model so you can try this organ out first?

As a firstcomer on the scene, I think BIS has to be made attractive to non-UK organists as well, who don't know the Romsey organ at all.

This is my own initial reaction.

Adrian,

There are lots of demos of Romsey online. With all due respect, trail demos for 14 days when a new product is first launched is a complete “joke” (using your terminology as per your email just now).

I might be a new-comer sampling organs, but I’m certainly no new-comer to Hauptwerk or to recording organs thank you very much. Quite the opposite.

Best wishes,

Richard
- Richard McVeigh

mnailor

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 12:36 pm

I'm wondering why a 14 day trial would be thought of as a joke. I use them when available, and make purchase decisions based on full trial versions as well as smaller demo versions. In the Romsey case, I took a chance, but I rarely buy a new sampleset without a trial or demo installation any more.

Stereo demo recordings on my tablet with headphones (youtube, contrebombarde, seller's website) give me too little clue about how it might really sound on my system.

I can understand not rushing a trial license into the first release, given the huge effort involved in the release, but they are useful to some of us.

richmcveigh

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 1:26 pm

mnailor wrote:I'm wondering why a 14 day trial would be thought of as a joke. I use them when available, and make purchase decisions based on full trial versions as well as smaller demo versions. In the Romsey case, I took a chance, but I rarely buy a new sampleset without a trial or demo installation any more.

Stereo demo recordings on my tablet with headphones (youtube, contrebombarde, seller's website) give me too little clue about how it might really sound on my system.

I can understand not rushing a trial license into the first release, given the huge effort involved in the release, but they are useful to some of us.

I completely understand why people would want a trail, totally, but it makes no business sense. Consider this…

You really want ‘that’ car. You save and save and save to buy it. You get to the dealer who says “I’ll tell you what, we’ll let you have the car for 14 days for absolutely free. Afterwards, you can choose whether you want it”.

Brilliant, you’ll think. I’m going to absolutely love this.

You get the car. It’s amazing. You drive it everyday. Show it off and absolutely love it.

2 weeks later, after driving the car non-stop, you take it back to the dealer.

“Very good Sir. Would you like to buy it?”

“No thanks”

“Why not?”

“Well to be honest, I absolutely love the car. I’d love to have it on my drive way. But I’m bored of it now and you know that money that I saved and saved and saved for! Well I’m going to keep it and look at other cars”.

I completely get that this isn’t the case for everyone, this is a natural thing for everyone. I’ve done it! Absolutely can’t wait to get something…. Couple of weeks later it’s on the shelf gathering dust.

I’ve actually seen the above happen with other sample set producers who are not likely to offer trails AT THE OUTSET any more.

BIS May offer a trial in the future.

Very best wishes, and absolutely no offence or malice intended.

Richard
- Richard McVeigh
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments