It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 am

Dudelange Surround released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Posaune32

Dudelange Surround released

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 4:42 pm

The 4-channel surround version of Dudelange was released a few days ago, with new information on Voxus's website, along with a 14-day trial and 1-year license option. It now requires HW 7+, but is otherwise a free upgrade from the existing set.

I'm curious if anyone here has made the upgrade and has any experience with the surround version. In particular, a point of confusion for me is that the website says that only 4 reed ranks have recorded tremulants, but I thought all ranks had recorded tremulants previously. Am I remembering correctly and are the recorded tremulant samples no longer in the set anymore, or did it never have them?

CarsonCooman

Re: Dudelange Surround released

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 12:08 pm

Posaune32 wrote: Am I remembering correctly and are the recorded tremulant samples no longer in the set anymore, or did it never have them?

It never had them; it always used modeled tremulants. This version just adds sampled tremulants for the "most important" stops to have them. (And it does work pretty effectively. For example, if you use the Vox Humana and the Bourdon together on Manual III, the real tremulant on the Vox hides the simultaneous fake tremulant on the Bourdon so it sounds OK.)

The organ is very large, in a big room, all three main manual divisions have tremulants. I imagine Voxus probably figured that sampled tremulants for the whole organ would put the cache size outside of the possibility of most people's RAM specifications, which is now even more true in the surround version.

Posaune32

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 2:39 pm

Thanks for clearing it up, it did sound more realistic than artificial tremulants that I've heard on other sets.

CyrilCouten

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 3:58 pm

This (long awaited) update is a real plus vs the stereo version. Clear sound and nice acoustic.

bambergfranken

Setting the volume

PostTue Jan 09, 2024 12:56 pm

I don't understand what the problem is.
To be able to hear the organ reasonably well, I have to set the volume (audio) to 0.0. The "normal" setting for all other sets is -10 on average.
Unfortunately, I find this extremely strange and I'm not sure whether the instrument should be played with this extreme setting change. Has anyone had similar experiences with the "new" Dudelange?
Thanks, Roman

mnailor

PostTue Jan 09, 2024 1:06 pm

I have organs where I have to set the trim anywhere from -24 to +6 dB. If full organ keeps the Hauptwerk audio level meter in the high green or low yellow at worst, and your speakers aren't sounding distorted, this should be fine. The volume of the samples is pretty arbitrary, so maybe Dudelange surround was set lower than stereo because it doubled the ranks.

CyrilCouten

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 8:28 am

Yes, same experience but this not a problem, as mentioned by Mark N.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments