It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm

Hildesheim, Beckerath (IV/63) Sample Set from Sonus Paradisi

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Hildesheim, Beckerath (IV/63) Sample Set from Sonus Paradisi

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 4:19 am

A sample set of a large Rudolf von Beckerath organ is available from Sonus Paradisi.

The organ in the St. Andreas church, Hildesheim (DE) was built by the most prominent representative of the German post-war organbuilding. It is one of his largest preserved instruments, and definitely the best one. It has 63 speaking stops with a total of 4,734 pipes on four manuals and pedal.

The organ has the typical features of its time: narrow reeds, smooth foundations voiced with an expressive "chiff", and a plethora of unusual aliquotes that represent the progressive element of organ design in search of new colors that one encounters in many instruments from this period. The organ has numerous mixtures and mutations, but unlike many other organs from the same period it is not voiced to "scream" or "pierce". The plenums on each manual are formidable, but balanced and beautiful. The arrangement of the five divisions follows the North German organ building tradition, the so called "Hamburger Prospekt". The organ is strictly built on the Werkprinzip design, so much so that there is no coupler between HW and Pedal. The organ does not need one, because the Pedal is a complete division by itself (and therefore we did not add it in Hauptwerk). A German organ expert advised: "It is particularly important to me that this excellent organ is preserved in its uniqueness. It is not a modern universal organ like Billerbeck or Görlitz, where you can add couplings, stops, etc. almost as desired. If you understand the principle of a baroque organ and its divisions, then you also understand this organ. And this is what you should convey to users: think, pause and recognize the principle of the divisions."

The sound of this organ unites remarkably well with the church acoustics. The reverberation time is almost 8 seconds! The generous acoustics of the church contribute to the power and beauty of the sound.

Compare yourself the sound of this organ with other extra large Sonus Paradisi virtual organs:
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Re: Hildesheim, Beckerath (IV/63) Sample Set from Sonus Para

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 7:57 pm

This looks like an unusual and very interesting instrument. I am fascinated by the idea of all those aliquots, even though I don't know how they sound or how to use them. Looking at the specification I see a Hornaliquot II in the Pedal, Septime 1 1/7 and None 8/9 in the Oberwerk as well as plenty of more conventional Quintes, Terzes and mixtures. I know that Maurice Forsyth-Grant of Grant, Degens and Bradbeer was very much inspired by the new organs of this kind that he visited in Germany, and this is particularly apparent in ther magnum opus at New College, Oxford (an organ that I would love to see sampled for Hauptwerk).

I have tried to find recordings of this organ, but so far the only one I have located is by Michael Murray from the 1980's playing mostly large works by Bach. This doesn't give much idea of how the quieter stops sound (nor the aliquots) but he does manage to vary the plenum quite a bit. I would describe the sound as being smooth, clear and clean, and not at all shrill or harsh, and I enjoyed listening to it.

I already have the Sauer organt at Frankfurt-Oder (also by SP) which is of similar specification and vintage, and although I like it much more than I anticipated I am not sure that I can justify acquiring any more sample sets just at the moment. However, I would be interested to know if anybody else has come across this particular organ.

larason2

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 9:58 pm

I haven't, but I've spent a fair amount of time experimenting with all the different kinds of Aliquotes. For the common ones like the septime and none, they are useful for giving a cornet sort of mixture more reediness and brilliance without increasing the volume a lot, so good for solo lines. However, in thick textures you get detuning of the interior parts, which never sounds good. They also add a fair bit of extra power to really big registrations, or when you really want your reeds to punch harder. They aren't much use otherwise. They also need to be voiced correctly. Usually they should be audible, but never too loud. It's always better to under voice them then over voice them!

Martijn70

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 10:28 am

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:Looking at the specification I see a Hornaliquot II in the Pedal, Septime 1 1/7 and None 8/9 in the Oberwerk as well as plenty of more conventional Quintes, Terzes and mixtures.

Schlägtone 3 fach (Brustwerk)
C: 2/5' - 2/7' - 2/9'
c°: 4/5' - 4/7' - 4/9'
c': 1 3/5' - 1 1/7' - 8/9'
c'': 1 3/5' - 1 1/3' - 1 1/7'
c''': 2' - 1 3/5' - 1 1/3'.

Hornaliquot 2 fach (Pedal)
C: 5 1/3' - 3 1/5'

Return to Hauptwerk instruments