It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 am

Ermelo close/front/rear settings

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

sdevries

Ermelo close/front/rear settings

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:27 am

Allowing for differences in taste :), are there any recommendations for these settings? I observe that "close"-only makes the pedal stops too soft; in general, I can't seem to duplicate the sound that I hear when Paul Fey and Jeffrey Rowley recorded their Youtube videos.

mnailor

Re: Ermelo close/front/rear settings

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 1:53 pm

While I don't have Ermelo, if it's like other recent PG samplesets, you can mix levels by division and perspective. For example, starting with the Close Front Rear overall levels at 100, keep all 3 perspectives of the pedal division at 100% while reducing the manuals to 80 (just to try something, not a magic number!) to make the pedal stops relatively more audible. Adjust Trim to hear it well. Find the manual levels that work for you against the pedal.

Once you get the pedal and manual divisions in a balance you like, then you can change the overall levels of Close Front Rear until the reverb vs articulation compromise is acceptable to you.

Your speakers and room change what settings sound good, so there isn't some special formula. I mean, if Fey and Rowley give you their numbers, it may not sound similar on your system.

sdevries

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:27 pm

Thank you SO much!

larason2

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:02 pm

I have Ermelo, but I usually use it with all 3 sliders at max. Not sure why I settled on this, never seemed to have any problem for me! Compared to many of my other sets it feels pretty dry, but that's actually pretty good for articulation practice. I really like Anthony Hinz, on whose organs this is based, and I do get that impression. So I'd try all three at max. I used to use just the driest for many organs, but then I found on some it wasn't very well balanced (most set makers seem to assume you'll use all the channels if available, particularly on smaller sets like this).

sdevries

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:46 am

I will try this approach!

Return to Hauptwerk instruments