It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

Metz Cavaillé-Coll Pre-orders begin!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 29, 2007 7:34 pm

http://www.memorytogo.com/e-store/prod_ ... 087700.htm

$704USD currently for 16GB of Samsung Mac Pro 3.0GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon RAM. This is where we ordered our Mac Pro RAM from, a definite huge savings over getting it direct from Apple.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

adri

PostFri Nov 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Brett Milan wrote:

There is an introductory price saving 15% off the regular price, so act fast to take advantage of this great deal.

WHEN DOES THIS OFFER END???

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Nov 30, 2007 11:08 pm

Brett Milan wrote:

There is an introductory price saving 15% off the regular price, so act fast to take advantage of this great deal.

WHEN DOES THIS OFFER END???

:) It will remain until the end of 2007, one more month. Happy Holidays!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

sutherland

PostSat Dec 08, 2007 6:20 am

Can anyone help to clear my confusion? I'm thinking of upgrading my PC as my current motherboard and XP64 system will only allow me to access 3.something GB of RAM even although I have 4GB. If I understand this correctly there is no way to get any version of Windows running on a PC to access more than 4GB:

If it is a question of running the full extended version on Windows with more than 4GB, then that is also not a problem since we are running Windows XP-64 via bootcamp on the Mac Pro. That is the only way to currently access more than 4GB of memory on any type of system (XP-64 or Vista 64).

However at http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/Hauptwerk- ... mory.shtml it says "64-bit PCs running 64-bit Windows Vista or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (64-bit) can theoretically access many GBs of memory, subject to the limit for the motherboard."

So I'm confused. If I got a motherboard capable of taking 8GB or 16GB would HW running XP64 still be restricted to 4GB for any one sample set?

Thanks

Philip

mdyde

PostSat Dec 08, 2007 7:33 am

Hello Philip,

64-bit Windows (Vista or XP) can use much more than 4 GB of memory. The memory limits for different versions of Windows are listed in the 'operating systems' section on this page:

http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/Hauptwerk- ... ites.shtml

If I got a motherboard capable of taking 8GB or 16GB would HW running XP64 still be restricted to 4GB for any one sample set?

No. If you had 16 GB and 64-bit Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate then you could use very nearly all of the 16 GB with 64-bit Hauptwerk. You would also need to make sure that your audio and MIDI devices work fully with native 64-bit applications, e.g. the E-MU or MOTU devices listed on the above page.

Best regards,
Martin.

sutherland

PostSat Dec 08, 2007 7:47 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for explaining that. I suppose that Brett was referring to his personal setup rather than making a general statement.

Regards,

Philip

Stefanussen

PostMon Dec 10, 2007 1:00 am

Hi Brett, I'm considering purchasing two of your sample sets in the next few days: the Skinner and the Metz. I do have a bit of an unusual situation; I do not yet have a HW setup, but am considering buying these because of the holiday sale. Is there going to be any problem because I don't have a HW dongle? I know there has to be some sort of activation process that has to happen. While I'm on that note ...could you or someone else be kind enough to give me a cliff's notes on how the dongle works? So I order HW, which comes with a dongle, what exactly is the process of activating a sample set on a dongle?

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 10, 2007 2:19 am

Hi Brett, I'm considering purchasing two of your sample sets in the next few days: the Skinner and the Metz. I do have a bit of an unusual situation; I do not yet have a HW setup, but am considering buying these because of the holiday sale. Is there going to be any problem because I don't have a HW dongle? I know there has to be some sort of activation process that has to happen. While I'm on that note ...could you or someone else be kind enough to give me a cliff's notes on how the dongle works? So I order HW, which comes with a dongle, what exactly is the process of activating a sample set on a dongle?
Hello,

You can purchase sample sets at any time with or without having a dongle. If you purchase the sample sets prior to ordering Hauptwerk, then generally the dongle will be updated before it is shipped to you, thus once you receive it it will be ready to go and the sets may be played.

The process of dongle updating is most commonly done via an email file attachment from Crumhorn Labs which is applied to the dongle through a menu option within Hauptwerk itself. Once you receive Hauptwerk, you will see how it works. This is the method for those that already have the dongle. In your case, if you order the two sets now the dongle would be updated before being shipped.

So, you are safe to order the sets prior to ordering Hauptwerk if that is your main concern.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Disorganised

PostTue Dec 11, 2007 8:54 am

Dear Brett,

Can you tell me where the stops in the extended version came from?

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 am

Dear Brett,

Can you tell me where the stops in the extended version came from?

Hello,

They are all derived from the original samples and involved borrowing and repitching ranks to make new ranks without possibility of phase cancellation due to repitching. For instance the added Positif Trompette 8 is taken from the Recit Trompette 8, but to avoid using the same notes repitching and renaming files is done.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

lefranc22

PostTue Dec 11, 2007 12:13 pm

I received the sample-set yesterday. It is huge 3( DVD) and great. I could install the whole normal set on my iMac 4 GB (I suppose that it would be rather difficult for the extended one),16 bit, compressed memory, and a part of the loops (about 1/4) for the most interesting stops. The amount of occupied memory is about 3,6 GB and it remains very few for leopard, but it works without glitches (velocity desactivated). Although it is not in all its glory, it sounds very good and close of the two big Cavaillé-Coll that we have in my town (St Brieuc, France), one in St Etienne Cathedral (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/g.lefranc/W ... index.html) and one in St Michel church (http://membres.lycos.fr/bierorg/stmich.htm). Its a splendid sample set. Congratulation to Brett Milan.

Grant_Youngman

PostTue Dec 11, 2007 1:10 pm

lefranc22 wrote:Its a splendid sample set. Congratulation to Brett Milan.

I have to agree with that. I'm still doing a lot of experimenting, and there are so far delightful new things around every corner.

It's a challenge for headphone listening (which I have to resort to when my wife is at home). The dynamic range is such that, adjusted for comfortable listening of the softest stops on the Recit with the shutters closed, a very large combination with reeds and coupled manuals on the extended version with 32' stops in the pedal will quickly cause hearing loss :-)

It would be interesting to know, if Brett has the information, what the SPL level of a representative stop/note or combination was at the recording position, to establish a rough frame of reference for sound system adjustment.
Grant

telemanr

PostTue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm

The stop rows (top to bottom) are Recit, Positif, GO.

Are the manuals in the same order? (mine appear to be mixed up).

Mine came up (top to bottom) Positif, Recit, GO.

Also, the included PDF manual has several places where a line just ends short with an @
One example would be page 2 second paragraph "Loading the Organ"
roughly in the middle a sentence begins "Hauptwerk defaults al@" and that's the end of the line.

Rob

[)Naeryl(]

PostTue Dec 11, 2007 2:09 pm

You're right, the order of manuals is:

I. Grand-Orgue
II. Positif
III. Récit

Grant_Youngman

PostTue Dec 11, 2007 2:29 pm

telemanr wrote:The stop rows (top to bottom) are Recit, Positif, GO.

Are the manuals in the same order? (mine appear to be mixed up).

Mine came up (top to bottom) Positif, Recit, GO.

Also, the included PDF manual has several places where a line just ends short with an @

The manuals are in the right order. You may have a configuration issue in HW. just reassign them based on the correct midi channel

Brett is aware of the problem with printing the User Guide. There should be a fix at some point soon, probably with a web link to a corrected version.
Grant
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments