It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

How to go in creating a 'cut down' organ for HW

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Marco

How to go in creating a 'cut down' organ for HW

PostFri Sep 10, 2004 10:58 am

I finally decided on a course of action for HW (getting some midi keyboards and midifying just my pedalboard, vs midifying my old console, which would be way too complex) and last night I downloaded HW, St.Anne and the Prudhoe to see if my old dual p3-450 was going to be useable at all or if I would have to upgrade it right away.

I was quite surprised to see that with a latency of 20 the Mark Johnson's cut down St.Anne seemed to work fine (I tried using 'sweet little piano' over a sequencer playing to tax HW a bit) which means that I'll likely stick with my current hardware until PCI express becomes more available.

Given that my PC has only 512MB of RAM I am not able to use the 'full' St. Anne, and the 'cut down' sets available on the HW organ download page are a bit too cut down for my possibilities (I think the Mark Johnson's set I was using was created for PCs with 384MB, and loading it in mono doesn't seem to take even 300MB): how would I go in 'reducing' St.Anne to get something nice sounding that will fit (as MONO, don't need stereo) in 450 megs or so?

Is it 'simply' a case of looking with explorer at the sizes of the different rank folders and then commenting out rank entries in the .organ file while at the same time using the windows task manager to see when the memory used by HW approaches 450-500MB? Are there other approaches?

Obviously, if anybody has already done something like this I would be grateful if you could share your files (I currently have only the free mono St.Anne and the Prudhoe, although once I upgrade my PC I might spring for the Marcussen...

jocr

Re: How to go in creating a 'cut down' organ for HW

PostSat Sep 11, 2004 10:22 am

WITHDRAWN

James Pressler
Last edited by jocr on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marco

PostSat Sep 11, 2004 3:16 pm

thanks, I hadn't thought about doing this... I ended up getting an extra 128MB for my PC which helped quite a bit: I also removed 4 stops from St.Anne (vox celeste 8, viola di gamba 8, sub bass 16, echo bass 16) and added the cornet/sesquialtera from the contributed organ files by Paul Delferriere. All together I can now squeeze the mono result in about 500MB free memory (I have 640MB total, with the organ loaded windows reports 670MB in use, which means I could probably add another stop or two) which works well on my old p3-450 with buffer size set to 16 (IIRC).

It also helped A LOT to upgrade my SB live drivers to the latest, as before doing that even with the single test pipe if I went under 22 blocks I got breakups in the sound, now with the test pipe I think I can go down to 8-10 and with the 16 buffers (IIRC) I can play the slightly cut down St.Anne without any problems (at least with the 'my little piano' keyboard with a sequencer playing other stuff in background, I am still waiting to order the MIDI encoder board from midiboutique and will get the MIDI keyboards once that gets here).

BTW, if anybody would like that .organ file (wasn't that hard to do but hey, you never know) just send me a PM and I'll mail it to you or something.

And BTW, thanks a lot for your virtuallybaroque site, I have used it quite a bit to compare different sample sets (for when I'll finally upgrade my PC) and am definitely going to get your 'rodgers practice' MIDI files (I'm assuming they will work fine in HW) once I get everything up and running.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments