It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

Bovenkerk Hinsz organ (Kampen) - First beta demo

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Bovenkerk Hinsz organ (Kampen) - First beta demo

PostThu Jun 05, 2008 2:29 am

Dear all,

You will be pleased to know progress is being made on the Kampen Bovenkerk Hinsz set. I wanted to share a small beta demo which uses only 6 stops, 4 manual and 2 pedal building up a very small plenum with Prestant 8, Octaaf 4, Mixtuur and Trompete 8, then Subbass 16 and Octaaf 8 in the pedal.

Please note, the acoustics here are all natural with no additional reverb or convolution etc. added prior or post production to the samples. Also the demo is done from a MIDI file, while a decent file it certainly is not the same as a live performance which we will of course plan to have plenty of once the set is released.

DEMO CLIP UPDATED PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR NEW BETA DEMO POSTING

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

A note about this sample set...We will be offering it in several volumes beginning with a 2 manual version, then a 3 then a 4. In this way those they may not be able to either a) afford the entire organ or b) load the entire organ, will still be able to obtain smaller subsets with specialized organ files to load the sets with a custom specification. Each successive volume will require the previous volume(s) to have been purchased since they build on to the next. Thus once the complete set is done users may obtain all of the volumes and have the full Bovenkerk instrument at their disposal!

Progress is still underway, but we hope to have Volume I available in the near future!
Last edited by B. Milan on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

imcg110

PostThu Jun 05, 2008 7:23 am

Good to see you are keeping busy!!

I am beginning to salivate - For a 6 stop beta test it sounds good enough to be a stand alone commercial release (free copy for the first 10 replies????)
I look forward to the final instrument. Love that mixture.

A thought - as most of us(?) seem to have 3 manual consoles, and with all the recent third party modifications of 4 manual ODF's, would you consider offering an extended ODF with the full instument to natively fit a 3 manual console??

Keep up the good work. Just remember althought late nights and coffee overdose is not good for the health, it is good for the soul!!

dadams

• Location: Ellicott City MD; and North Beach, NJ...it all depends)

PostThu Jun 05, 2008 7:31 am

Brett that demo better than a whole lot of commercial CDs! Great job and starting to save.
"Bach: his mind was universal, his heart was overwhelming, and his spirit transcends over all of God's Creation" Virgil Fox

sweelinck

PostThu Jun 05, 2008 10:27 am

dadams wrote:Brett that demo better than a whole lot of commercial CDs!

+1 !

Very impressive ! I think I have found my future instrument !

Jim Reid

PostThu Jun 05, 2008 12:24 pm

I was privileged to actually play this organ back in the Summer
of 1981! It is a sample set to desire. The following
photo shows my bearded face peering down from up at the organ
toward my wife, who took the photo,. My face is just
visible toward the right edge, lower part of the photo. You
can just see my face IF you look carefully; was just able to peer
over the organ rail.

Was a fascinating experience. The resident organist also played
a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, just to please
the visitors from the USA! See:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203 ... Kampen.jpg

This is so pleasing to know the instrument will soon
be available. Thank you, Brett.
Jim Reid

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Jun 05, 2008 2:29 pm

Thank you for all the compliments so soon!

A thought - as most of us(?) seem to have 3 manual consoles, and with all the recent third party modifications of 4 manual ODF's, would you consider offering an extended ODF with the full instument to natively fit a 3 manual console??

More details will made at a later date concerning manual coupelrs etc. We are aware that many people do not own a 4 manual console, so we'll work with that to make that 4th manual (4 stops) easily accessible from 3 manuals.

I was privileged to actually play this organ back in the Summer
of 1981! It is a sample set to desire. The following
photo shows my bearded face peering down from up at the organ
toward my wife, who took the photo,. My face is just
visible toward the right edge, lower part of the photo. You
can just see my face IF you look carefully; was just able to peer
over the organ rail.

Hi Jim,

The picture I posted above was taken from your exact spot on the organ loft. Good to know we've shared the same ground, even if years apart.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Geoff Lloyd

PostThu Jun 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Wow Brett, this sounds fantastic.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you create a midi file like this?

Best regards,

Geoff

gingercat

PostThu Jun 05, 2008 5:13 pm

For MIDI - you would typically have one track per manual, then it's just a case of inserting the appropriate program changes to engage / disengage the stops during playback.

You can start with a MIDI file and add the program (stop) changes to it either manually, or by playing back the MIDI whilst recording stop changes.

You can record the whole performance in one go - i.e. recording the key and stop changes as MIDI in realtime.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

Ian R

PostFri Jun 06, 2008 2:58 am

Dear Brett,

Congratulations on the Eb Prelude. Sample set eagerly anticipated.

Ian

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Jun 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks Geoff and Ian, much appreciated.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

RoyKnight

PostSat Jun 07, 2008 11:22 am

Dear Brett,

I am excited about this sample set. It sounds like the baroque instrument I have been thinking about. Besides that -- Bach's St. Anne's is a favorite of mine. It was great to hear a piece that I know intimately sound so brilliant on a few stops.

I will be anticipating its release!

Roy

Geoff Lloyd

PostSun Jun 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Picking up on an exchange earlier in this thread (about how one creates a midi file like the one Brett has used for this demo) I've only today caught up with what can be done with the Midi Sequencer version of Hauptwerk to create and then edit midi files. Previously I've only used the Hauptwerk standalone version.

I doubt I'm the only one out there who is (or was) blissfully ignorant of the wonderful things you can do with the Sequencer version, like recording pieces and then adding stop changes later on, or even correcting mistakes you've made when recording by editing the midi file! If anyone felt able to offer a "these are the things you can do with ..... " tutorial, I'm sure that would be very welcome.

I still haven't managed to work out how to apply reverb in the (Reaper) sequencer - any tips on that would also be very welcome.

Geoff

B. Milan

Site Admin

New version of St. Anne's demo

PostSun Jun 08, 2008 11:45 pm

NEW BETA DEMO POSTING

I've redone the Bach St. Anne's Prelude beta demo with the score in hand and more along the lines of how it should be now that more ranks have been added to the Bovenkerk virtual organ. I think you'll find there is a huge difference now compared to the first demo above since more upperwork ranks have been added (not to mention the Pedaal Bazuin 16).

A few minor modifications were made to the MIDI file, and while a bit better, it's still a MIDI file so live performances will of course show off the organ much better with more breathing between phrases and articulation of runs etc...

Here's a new version of the Bach St. Anne's Prelude
Last edited by B. Milan on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Jun 09, 2008 12:38 am

A Bach Prelude is happiest with its counterpart.

St. Anne's Fugue
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Stefanussen

PostMon Jun 09, 2008 12:57 am

Hi Brett, thanks for the new demo, it sounds great! At first, I wasn't so sold on the idea of the Kampen because it didn't have the eclectic tonal palette commonly found on American Classic organs, but after closely listening to the demo, I've decided that the tonal philosophy (lots of mixtures) of the Kampen organ has its own appeal.

I have a couple of questions regarding the new structure of this sample set. I'm excited about the way it will be done using expansion packs since it will mean we'll be able to get our hands on the sample set sooner. I do have one concern though. I suspect that the entire organ could be quite expensive if done in a modular fashion. I know you haven't nailed down the pricing, but could you say if you see the Kampen organ having roughly the same price per virtual rank as the Metz for example?

Also, when you say you hope to have the first set available in the near future, are we talking near future as in next 3 months or end of the year near future? :)
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments