It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

Bovenkerk Hinsz organ (Kampen) - First beta demo

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Stefanussen

PostSun Jun 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Hi Brett,

Thanks for posting that info! The virtual console is gorgeous! And that's saying a lot, because, frankly, I never placed too much weight on photographically reproducing the console / stop jambs. But I admit, after seeing that screenshot, I'm looking forward to seeing that on my touchscreen.

And a word regarding the touchscreen / resolution. THANK YOU for making it 1280 x 1024. I was always a bit annoyed that I have to run my touch screen at 1024x768 for the Metz. The aspect ratio is a bit off, and the stops are a bit stretched. Also, the LCD isn't running at native resolution, which as I'm sure you know, produces a pretty undesirable blurring that you didn't get on CRT monitors.

And just for the record, I have a 17" NEC touchscreen purchased from you.

Geoff Lloyd

PostSun Jun 29, 2008 6:16 pm

As a newcomer to midi recording, I asked the idiot question earlier in this thread about how midi files like Brett's St Anne's Prelude (and now Fugue) were made.

Chris B gave me a couple of useful tips, and I've since had a lot of fun experimenting with what you can do with various music midi notation programmes, and with Reaper driving the Midi Sequencer version of Hauptwerk. This has all been completely new to me having previously only played HW live through the stand-alone version.

As part of the learning process I've created a midi version of the Henri Mulet Carillon Sortie which I'm very happy to share if anyone would like a copy. Here's what it sounds like on the Metz:

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/330

Regards,

Geoff Lloyd

engrssc

PostSun Jun 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi Brett,

Without trying to "corner" you, can you reveal a prospective "ballpark" cost for this new sample set, (even to say, similar to several other of your present sample sets)?

I only ask this because there may be some of us that would like to (need to) budget for such. I've also communicated with others who agree an early order "discount" is very helpful. But on the hand, few of us totally can appreciate all the countless hours spent (as well as other expenses) to create these magnificent organ samples, which for sure, need to be amply compensated.

That screen shot is a real work of art to say the least. What an appetite "whetter". As my wife mentioned, the only thing missing now is the aroma of the real instrument and surroundings.

Rgds.,
Ed

Gert

PostMon Jun 30, 2008 2:20 am

Brett,
Thanks for providing the layout. It is not too bad but I'm not over enthousiastic.
A photo realistic console is nice for visitors, sale and a first impression.
For a sample set of so many stops is my preference a more practical console with:
- Clear readable stop names
- Clear difference between the stops of the different manuals (e.g. use color)
- A lot of presets / couplers etc

Examples of large sample sets with a good layout are, in my opinion, in this order:
- Litomysl ( http://www.hauptwerk.cz/Litomysl/hw2/im ... omycon.htm )
- Ducroquet-Cavaille-Coll ( http://www.organartmedia.com/Aix-VCons.html )
- Zwolle ( http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/organs/zwol ... Jamb.0.asp )
- Skinner ( http://www.milandigitalaudio.com/skinner-info.htm )

Best regards,
Gert
www.PCorgan.com
info@PCorgan.com

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Jun 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks Rob and Ed for the compliments. Glad you like the new console.

Hi Brett,

Without trying to "corner" you, can you reveal a prospective "ballpark" cost for this new sample set, (even to say, similar to several other of your present sample sets)?

I only ask this because there may be some of us that would like to (need to) budget for such. I've also communicated with others who agree an early order "discount" is very helpful. But on the hand, few of us totally can appreciate all the countless hours spent (as well as other expenses) to create these magnificent organ samples, which for sure, need to be amply compensated.

At this time I really cannot say what the final pricing will be. It largely depends on the finished product and how much time has been put into it. We always devise our pricing at the end of a completed product, so I'm afraid I can't give that information out at this time. Keep in mind that the reason we are offering this set in 3 volumes is to cater to those that may not have large budgets for the entire instrument, so it should be safe to say that at least Volume 1 should be somewhat affordable to most if not all Hauptwerk users.

Brett,
Thanks for providing the layout. It is not too bad but I'm not over enthousiastic.
A photo realistic console is nice for visitors, sale and a first impression.
For a sample set of so many stops is my preference a more practical console with:
- Clear readable stop names
- Clear difference between the stops of the different manuals (e.g. use color)
- A lot of presets / couplers etc

Hello Gert,

We always intend to offer photo-realistic consoles since we feel it is part of the virtual experience in playing on an authentic instrument. In this way if you have played the virtual organ, you can then visit the real instrument and feel at home since the layout is the same. If you were to visit the real organ you would have to use what is given. Personally I feel the text is quite legible and so do many others that have seen the graphics. There are 10 Generals included at the bottom so you can create any presets you like using those. As with any organ, once you are familiar with it there shouldn't be any problems in "navigating" around and knowing what belongs to what etc. That's part of the beauty of exploring a new organ I feel. Color coded stops is just something we will not do. Sorry!

Also Volume 2 and 3 will include dual touch screen displays, so these will have larger stops and text as well.

Lastly our sets allow use of the CODM or Oberwerk, so if you really wanted you could create an ODF on your own and customize the stop graphics how you like.
Last edited by B. Milan on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Sander

PostMon Jun 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Not so hard to figure out what belongs to which, if you got the stop list. I wonder why there are two prestant 16' below at the pedal section though.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Jun 30, 2008 6:46 pm

Note that the left hand side of each row (except for the top row) has the division name written. Therefore you can easily see which stops belong to that division. The exception is the Bovenwerk which is actually listed as two divisions although played by one keyboard. Thus there is the Bovenwerk and 2nd Bovenwerk. The 2nd Bovenkwerk is intertwined with stops from the Borstwerk and can be seen on the top row. The 2nd Bovenwerk stops have the lines above and below each stops text while the text without lines belong to the Borstwerk (4th manual with 4 stops and some of them divided stops).

It's really not complicated and once you sit down and play with it for a few minutes it is very easy. Just like a real organ of this size, it requires sitting down with it for a few moments to learn the workings. Part of the enjoyment of learning a new instrument!

There are two Prestant 16 stops in the pedal simply to allow the organist or registrant the flexibility to pull the stop from either side (depending on free hands etc.). It activates the same pipes. Also that stop is derived from the Prestant 16 in the Hoofdwerk manual, so it is just an addition to give the pedal a bit more depth.

The order of manuals is as follows:

4th manual=Borstwerk (Top row of stops without lines)
3rd manual=Bovenwerk and 2nd Bovenwerk (top row of stops with lines is 2nd Bovenwerk then 3rd row down is the 1st Bovenwerk)
2nd manual=Hoofdwerk (2nd row down)
1st manual=Rugwerk (4th row down)
Pedal (5th row down)

See here for further information:

http://www.debovenkerk.nl/page_3186.htm
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Gert

PostTue Jul 01, 2008 1:41 am

Brett,
I appreciate your photo-realistic consoles. The console of the Georgenkirche is the best I've seen. I show it always to visitors with his nice animated pull knobs en all sounds (and the lovely m?se ;-) ). It's my opinion too that the console is a contribution to the realism.

But again, in my opinion when you have only one 17" or 19" screen on a distance of about 30" it is hard to read the labels of so many stops. May be, I’m the only stupid person that have this opinion.

Now you have 'empty' nice panels in the top of the screen, when you really like these panels it is better to locate them on the bottom of the screen. So when a screen doesn't support a high resolution, only the panels are hiding out.

I know, "the best horseman is always on his feet" (de beste stuurlui staan aan de wal). ;-)

Go further with recording these nice organs!

Best regards,
Gert

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Jul 01, 2008 2:26 am

Here's another small beta demo, the opposite end of the spectrum to the first Bach St. Anne beta demo.

This demo uses minimal stops to show off the intimacy that this large organ is capable of giving.

1st half
Hoofdwerk - Bourdon 16 + Fluit 4
Bovenwerk II - Holpijp 8
Pedaal - Subbas 16 + Octaaf 8

2nd half
Hoofdwerk - Holpijp 8
Bovenwerk II - Holpijp 8
Pedaal - Subbas 16 + Octaaf 8
Last edited by B. Milan on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 4:13 am

Did I miss the link to the latest demo?

Rgds,
Ed

gingercat

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 6:40 am

engrssc wrote:Did I miss the link to the latest demo?

Rgds,
Ed

The word "demo" in Brett's post links to the demo.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

engrssc

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 12:41 pm

It's the second "demo". I tried the first one which didn't work.

Rgds,
Ed

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 12:46 pm

I've highlighted the link, so it should be easy to spot now!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks, Brett. Was well worth pursuing. First "attempt" was made at 2 AM. Go figure.

Rgds,
Ed

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 1:35 am

Continuing on with the beta demos.

Here's the 3rd mvt. of the Bach 5th Trio Sonata BWV 529

Allegro

Hoofdwerk (1st entrance)
Holpijp 8
Fluit 4
Superoctaaf 2

Bovenwerk II (2nd entrance)
Holpijp 8
Spitsfluit 2

Pedaal
Subbas 16
Octaaf 8

Listen for the difference between the two divisions and their proximity to one another or even to you the listener/performer (this will be a little more apparent as more stops are playing on the Bovenwerk II). There is a nice contrast between the more distant Hoofdwerk and the more present (but not too present!) Bovenwerk II. Together they blend quite nicely to make an ensemble showing their spatial characteristics and clarity between voices.

The stop list for Volume I is for the most part finalized, so I'll post that information soon.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments