It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:06 am

Multi-Audio Channels for the Bosch-Schnitger, Vollenhove

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Jim Reid

Multi-Audio Channels for the Bosch-Schnitger, Vollenhove

PostTue Sep 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Now want to load and hear the Vollenhove organ via 8-channels of stereo
audio. However, I notice than many of the ranks are listed as having
both B and D ranks......?

Should these be loaded into the same or separate stereo channels?
And how are they different, if they are?

Thanks,
Jim Reid

PeterB

PostTue Sep 09, 2008 6:45 pm

They are simply split in two halves: B = bass, D = treble. Not an uncommon practice in early instruments.

dhm

PostWed Sep 10, 2008 3:59 am

You can disable the split, so that drawing either the Discant or Bass stop actually brings on the whole rank. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the default position (it's a long time since I installed it).

imcg110

PostWed Sep 10, 2008 4:51 am

It is a really lovely set - my favourite Baroque (to date!!)
I can see no advantage to splitting bass/descant. This is a historical organ building thing. The default is to engage the whole rank in any case.

I would aim to physically separate HW, RP and pedal to get a feeling of spacial authenticity. If you have the channels thereafter, further subdivide into into diapason chorus, flutes and reeds. If poss place the mixtures above the the diap chorus. An interesting excercise is working out where to place the action noises - this will be a personal choice - I have them all in the RP channels - it feels more natural in my set up. Also bear in mind that the RP is the brighter/sharper of the manual divisions - it is mainly the newer Schnitger pipework. The HW prestants are quite mellow. This may infuence which make of speakers you wish to use.

You may also wish to gently tweak the voicing on the HW flutes. I have voiced down the bourdon a little to make it work better with my audio at 16' (It got too muddy at default settings). The offset of this is that makes it the softer of the 2 HW flutes when used at 8' (available via the second ODF page - the registration sequencer will remember theses settings). I have found this very useful musically - a nice contrast.

Dutch Brad

PostWed Sep 10, 2008 12:56 pm

The bass/discant division was actually very handy if you knew what you were doing.

The organ had pull-down Pedals so the division allowed you to couple the bass of the HW (esp. Trompet-8) to the Pedal while soloing on the HW discant (without Trompet) and accompanying on the RW (left hand).

Furthermore, for congregational singing you could accompany with your left hand on the HW bass (never going above c) and use the Cornet and Trompet discant to punch out the melody line. The Rugwerk could be set soft for interludes, etc.

adri

PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:03 am

Dutch Brad wrote:The bass/discant division was actually very handy if you knew what you were doing.

The organ had pull-down Pedals so the division allowed you to couple the bass of the HW (esp. Trompet-8) to the Pedal while soloing on the HW discant (without Trompet) and accompanying on the RW (left hand).

Furthermore, for congregational singing you could accompany with your left hand on the HW bass (never going above c) and use the Cornet and Trompet discant to punch out the melody line. The Rugwerk could be set soft for interludes, etc.

That's right, and it's still an extremely valuable tool when you are improvising. But even in the playing of organ literature, it gives you the possibility to increase the treble region of the music, which is sometimes needed.

Also: it provides the possibility to accompany on the Hoofdwerk's bass region and play the melody (e.g. a Psalm or Hymn) on the Rugwerk with the Hoofdwerk's strong treble region coupled to it. In short, many possibilities.

I really like all these b/d divisions on the Vollenhove (and for that reason on the Frechilla organ, where everything is b/t, although 1/2 step higher at c/c#. I wish Vollenhove also had the option of dividing at c/c#. I guess, using an American expression, you can't have the cake and eat it too (if you're not an American, trying to figure this one out may drive you crazy).

imcg110

PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 am

Agreed - the split is a very valuable tool. I use it quite a bit. The point I was making is that there is no real need to do something unusual with the audio setup to take account of the split. All of the functionality of the split ranks will remain if they are routed in the audio setup as a single rank (in stereo). I would actively advise against sending the 2 halves to different audio channels.

Dutch Brad

PostThu Sep 11, 2008 2:11 pm

I have been inside the Vollenhove organ a few times and the b/d stops run normal on the windchests exactly like the non b/d stops. So there is no reason to separate them at all. You are correct.

Lub

PostSun Sep 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Hello everyone,

Is it better through this sampelset listen in stereo ?, or via multichannel output, now I use two speakers, but I'd like to 8 speakers, or is it not necessary for the sampelset van Vollenhoven? Thanks for the advice.

regards Lub

Return to Hauptwerk instruments