It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:48 pm

Bovenkerk Hinsz Volume I Released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Sep 27, 2008 3:24 pm

Glad to hear the set arrived.

We've fixed the mismatched stop names and will be offering a patch shortly. It won't have any impact on anything except that the names are now properly mapped to the switch inputs.

Generally with the wind settings as they are you shouldn't run out of wind. Did you perhaps push off one of the Afsluiting stops? These control the wind to each division and if push in you will lose wind.

The wind system was intentionally created to allow some variation in pitch so while playing full organ it can simulate the original organs pitch fluctuations during high wind demands. With most typical registrations this shouldn't cause a loss of wind all together. If it does happen again please record it using the built-in Hauptwerk recorder and send a clip so we can hear if anything sounds incorrect.

Thank you!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Jim Reid

PostSat Sep 27, 2008 5:43 pm

Hmmm, I tried listening again this morning. I don't think
that my ODF makes the stop name errors described by
Fokko; my Principal sounds to be that, and the FluitTravers a flute.

Also the Quint is clearly a Quint sound and not a Tertiaan...

Wonder why mine does not sound as Fokko describes that his
does??
Jim Reid

telemanr

PostSat Sep 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Jim I think he means the mistake is in the HW listing of stops you would use if you were trying to connect a piston on your keyboard to a particular stop.
The stops on the screen are named correctly.

At least I think that is what was meant.

So if you are using a touch screen there is no problem.

Rob

Fokko

PostSun Sep 28, 2008 7:14 am

Rob,
you are right. But if you install the patch (see another thread - thanks Brett!) it solves the problem I described.
Have a good day.
Fokko Horst

Rijk

PostSun Sep 28, 2008 11:59 am

Hi,

I have downloaded and installed the ODF Patch 1.01 update. After the update one should redo the switch/stop assigment of the 5 stops. This part is OK now. Thanks Brett!

After some investigation I could reproduce the loss-of-wind problem:
    1. After loading the organ everything works just fine.
    2. After switching the Church/Blower Noise On the organ still works fine.
    3. The wind-pressure drops dramatically when switching the Church/Blower Noise Off (after about 5-10 seconds).
    4. The wind-pressure goes to normal when switching the Church/Blower Noise On again.
    5. The problem disappears after a Reset untill one starts the sequence at 2. again.

I looks like if one closes one or more Afsluiters. This effect when closing Afsluiters is normal of course (as in the church were I play) but the Church/Blower Noise switch has more functionality then I expected.

Brett, meanwhile I sent you a soundclip as you requested.
It's not a major problem as long one does not use the Church/Blower Noise switch.

Rijk

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 28, 2008 12:09 pm

Hello Rijk,

Thank you for the sound clip which I have received via your email.

I hadn't realized you were actually turning off the church/blower noise with a connected switch. This is actually tapped into the wind system blower, so you are effectively turning off the main blower and no wind is being pumped into the organ, thus the sound you hear is due to no wind being routed to the pipes!

If you don't want the blower/church noises loading you can disable them from the Rank audio output routing screen and reload the organ, or if you have the Advanced edition of HW you can just lower the volume using the voicing screen sliders. You will need to click the Reset function to make the new volume changes take effect.

I hope that helps!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Rijk

PostSun Sep 28, 2008 1:01 pm

Hello Brett,

Thank you for your quick response.

I hadn't realized that when turning off the church/blower noise this really turns off the blower. Very funny, I am going to like this feature!

Regards,
Rijk

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Sep 28, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi Brett,

Just a question concerning the reverb on a wet set. I just love the reverb on the Hinsz set and just the sound as a whole. But I really prefer to have a setup whereby the main front speakers have a minor amount of reverb and then side and or rear speakers would give the full reverb. Until now I have assumed I need a dry set using convolution with different IR's. But at times I've heard discussion on this forum of cutting reverb tails in Hauptwerk.

So my question is, is it possible to trim the reverb tails of say the Hinsz set in Hauptwerk to send to my front speakers, and then use the full reverb for side and or rear speakers with good results? Or is this maybe not even possible at all?

As I understand it Jiri's wet Zwolle surround set was recorded separately with front and rear facing mikes. So I'm guessing my idea probably wouldn't sound right anyway.

Thanks,
Eric

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 28, 2008 8:57 pm

Hello Eric,

It is possible to trim the reverb tails of the Hinsz, although probably not the ideal way to listen, but that would be your decision.

Currently it isn't possible to do what you want with a single set of wet samples. If you trimmed the releases for say the Prestant 8, then it wouldn't matter what speakers you route it to or have an aux mix down to, it will always have the releases trimmed since it is the same rank. You would technically need 2 separate instances of the rank loaded into memory in order to treat them differently with regards to the releases. Probably something you could create with the CODM if you really wanted to try it. Of course it will require 2x the memory requirements utilizing the samples in this manner.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Sep 29, 2008 6:25 am

Thanks Brett. Yeah I figured it would be to difficult or impractical. I think for what I really want, dry samples and ideally the future built in convolver would be the way to go.

In the meantime though I still may go with the Hinsz. The wonderful thing with Hauptwerk is it's so flexible, and with really little cost compared to a digital organ, one can make major changes and or upgrades.

imcg110

PostTue Sep 30, 2008 8:45 am

Woohoo!!!! The Hinsz has arrived in Scotland!!!

First impression - I like it!! Sure it has a huge acoustic, but I was taken by the accessibility if the organ - despite the acoustic, it is a very light footed beast that I immediately found a delight to play. I have posted some music on concerthall - very much raw out of the box.

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/445

I had loaded the sample set literally 5 minutes earlier and had listened to the individual stops. I thought I would switch on the HW recorder with my very first attempt at real music - and here it is - warts and all. Please excuse the imperfections. I find the first few minutes very important at a new organ. Very quickly one can come to the conclusion that this is going to be fun (or not - ie smile, be polite, play safe music, take the money and don't accept any more invites to play!!) This one is going to be fun!!

It is obviously still only part of a bigger organ, and this shows in some parts (eg pedal). This can easily be voiced around until the rest of the organ is available. The overall quality is excellent. Wet!!!, but excellent. Perhaps a little more direct than the Metz, but not by much.

Off now to explore further. Hopefully I will post some more music after the youthful (??) enthusiasm has passed, after a period of mature and meaningful contemplation.

Gert

PostTue Sep 30, 2008 10:29 am

Ian,
Woow too, what a nice playing and clear sound! To be envious about your play technique.
regards,
Gert

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Oct 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Greetings,

Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day for ordering the Hinsz Volume I with the introductory discount. Also ordering by tomorrow will allow users to receive a discount on upgrading to Volume II once available.

www.milandigitalaudio.com/bovenkerk.htm
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Gert

PostFri Oct 03, 2008 12:53 pm

I received the sample set today. I played about 2 hours on it. It is great, better than I expected (sorry).
It's not so much on distance than what I expected (with my experience with Skinner Wet), it's a lot more direct. Everything what you play sounds good.
At this moment I'm very enthousiastic!
I will write an extended review on my site next week. Also make recordings.

Brett, is it possible to extend the introduction period with a week (or 2)?

Thanks,
Gert
www.PCorgan.com
info@PCorgan.com
Last edited by Gert on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Oct 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Hello Gert,

Thank you, glad you are enjoying the new organ.

We will go ahead and extend the introductory discount for one more week through October 10th.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments