It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:43 pm

Bovenkerk Hinsz Volume I Released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

dadams

• Location: Ellicott City MD; and North Beach, NJ...it all depends)

PostWed Sep 24, 2008 12:00 pm

GDay said: America was founded on the principle of rejecting and resisting unfair and arbitrary taxation

I just wish "they" (collectors) would ask "us" (payers) what WE consider unfair and arbitrary!!!

:-)
"Bach: his mind was universal, his heart was overwhelming, and his spirit transcends over all of God's Creation" Virgil Fox

RoyKnight

Got it today!

PostWed Sep 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Looks like I get to write the first review of the Kampen organ. It came in the mail today, and it is now installed on my humble MacBook, and it is wonderful! I have played with it for about 30 minutes, and every stop is clear, the full ensemble is surprising warm but bright. The acoustics of the church are suberb.

First impression - exciting without any modifications at all. Since my Macbook is widescreen, the bottom of the display with the combinations is not visible, but I plan to upgrade computers soon. Looking forward to many hours with this impressive sample set. It was definitely worth the wait.

Roy
"Practice makes permanent"

Stefanussen

PostWed Sep 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Congrats, Roy! I'm very anxiously awaiting my copy, and hope it makes it today. When it comes I will post a mini-review as well!
Rob Stefanussen

Vladimir Ratkovsky

Re: Got it today!

PostWed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 pm

RoyKnight wrote:Looks like I get to write the first review of the Kampen organ. It came in the mail today, and it is now installed on my humble MacBook, and it is wonderful! I have played with it for about 30 minutes, and every stop is clear, the full ensemble is surprising warm but bright. The acoustics of the church are suberb.

First impression - exciting without any modifications at all. Since my Macbook is widescreen, the bottom of the display with the combinations is not visible, but I plan to upgrade computers soon. Looking forward to many hours with this impressive sample set. It was definitely worth the wait.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Would you say that the instrument is suitable for practicing?
Vladimir

RoyKnight

PostWed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi Vladimir,

If by "practicing" you mean learning a new piece, I prefer a dry sample with external reverb mixed in at my discretion, so that "smeary" sections don't get "smoothed out" by the lively acoustics such as most wet sets provide.

After I have passed learning the piece, I like to polish interpretation on a wet set, or the dry set with reverb increased, or if possible on a set that approximates the room where I will perform.

Having said all that, I get a terrific rush from playing "in" the Kampen church. Even with the diminutive Volume 1, large works sound magnificent, and quiet works are "heavenly" (not to get spiritual here) -- I can only imagine the complete instrument.

Roy
"Practice makes permanent"

Vladimir Ratkovsky

PostWed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 pm

RoyKnight wrote:Hi Vladimir,

If by "practicing" you mean learning a new piece, I prefer a dry sample with external reverb mixed in at my discretion, so that "smeary" sections don't get "smoothed out" by the lively acoustics such as most wet sets provide.
Roy

Hi Roy,

Thank you very much.

Yes, I was thinking about 'learning a new piece' and playing and hearing clear articulation, phrasing, etc.
Now I know which way I need to take...

Vladimir
Vladimir

Stefanussen

PostWed Sep 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Edit: posted some thoughts, but decided I want to get at least a couple hours of good alone time with the instrument before really posting anything about the organ.
Rob Stefanussen

hans0166

PostThu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 am

... at first my compliments for the postal services... the sampleset was delivered this morning (the netherlands)

after a smooth installation powered on my instrument and speakers,
and after that the first sound "live" from the Bovenkerk in my living-room.

It's good, very good. My fingers are tired now, but my ears still want more (my parner had enough after 3 hours and went out shopping..lol)

In my opinion, at this moment, this first part is very versatile, suitable for different styles. Bach sounds great, but also Boëlmann, Lefebure-wely and Franck. (would love a little more keys in the upper octave)

When i compare with e.g Cappel the Bovenkerk is less barok, enough brilliance, but missing the clearness, i think caused by the huge church.
The second remark i'd like to place is the pedal, i like a strong foundation in my feet, but without adjusting the rank voicing i think the pedal in this set could use a few more stops. But there must be something to wish for futere sets too.

in general: I want more of this!

peterdenboer

PostThu Sep 25, 2008 2:16 pm

Hans when did you make your order? i maked it in weekend.
peter

hans0166

PostThu Sep 25, 2008 2:52 pm

@ Peter,
i placed the order past saturday in the afternoon, and on monday it was shipped.

oftewel in het nederlands,
ik heb zaterdagmiddag besteld en zag maandagavond dat de orderstatus "shipped"/ verzonden was. En vandaag werd het pakje bezorgt.

peterdenboer

PostThu Sep 25, 2008 3:02 pm

die van mij is ook maandag verzonden maar vandaag nog niets ontvangen. zo hopenlijk morgen.

peter
peter

Fokko

PostFri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 am

Hi all,

The dvd's I ordered saterday were delivered last thursday.

Late in the evening I have installed the sample set without any problem and within an hour.
Hereby my first impressions: what a gratefull organsound and an incredible reverb. Cannot stop with playing and learning the set...

Two remarks at this early moment:
1. When connecting the Midi signal/organswitch to de sample stop (menu: organ settings - connect switch (midi) inputs to organ switches) in my opinion a few stopnames in de list left are not corresponding with the right stops, examples:
List:Quint corresponds with stop:Tertiaan, Superoctaaf with Quint, Tertiaan with Superoctaaf, FluitTravers with Prinzipal and Prinzipal with FluitTravers.
Brett, is this a midi problem or is there a mismatch whitin in the sampleset? I do not have this problem with other samplesets.

2 It would be usefull for a next Volume to add the on/of switch for the sounds of keybord, pedal and stopnoises etc.

I would say: enjoy this!
Fokko Horst

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Sep 26, 2008 8:52 am

Hello Fokko,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Indeed there is a slight error within the organ file. We'll create a patch and offer an update a bit later today after it has been tested.

Apologies for the oversight.

Glad you are enjoying the set!
Last edited by B. Milan on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Fokko

PostFri Sep 26, 2008 9:01 am

Hello Brett again,

Thanks for your answer, take your time to create the patch.
And indeed, it is really enjoying to play this set!
Fokko Horst

Rijk

PostSat Sep 27, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi all,

1. Besides the few mismatches in the stops I experienced another small problem. Sometimes all of a sudden the organs sounds if it is losing too much wind e.g. if someone closes the afsluiters. As a workaround I decreased the wind model modulation depth adjustment from 100 to 50 which seemes to solve this problem.
2. It would be nice if the console/stop display is available for 1024x 786 resolution too.

BTW I received the organ on Friday already and the sound is incredible!
Congratulations Brett!

Rijk
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments