It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 5:33 pm

PAB Pipe Organ Samples

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

stevetil

PostFri Dec 12, 2008 2:53 pm

Stefanussen wrote:... For me, when I think of fantasy organs, something like this comes to mind: [image] ...

I rather prefer the older organ across the street. Even bigger.
My own fantasies waver between Wanamaker's in Philadelphia,
which is in quite good condition now, and the Atlantic City
Convention Hall organ, only 449 ranks but over 1200 stops,
which is currently unplayable but hopefully will be restored.
Either of these organs has more string stops than almost any
other organ in the world has stops. I like strings. But they
also have enough resources to play any kind of music, plus
they have that great big grand sound that I love so much.

Steve.

Csaba Huszty

PostFri Dec 12, 2008 8:42 pm

The final price will be $899 (list price) after the group-buy is over (so this is not the remaining fee of the group buy but the price after the introduction), without VAT. The product is Hungarian (EU-based).

Thank you for all for your comments, I learned a lot from them, please keep them coming!

cedric

PostSat Dec 13, 2008 3:23 am

Dear Csaba,

I tried to contact you through your contact page, but keep having a "submission failed" message. I don't know if the problem is on your side or on mine.
So i sent you a private messsage on this forum.

Regards
Cedric

Csaba Huszty

PostSat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Dear All,

a new demo of the piece D. Buxtehude - Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern BuxWV 223 demo is published on the IA website

http://www.inspiredacoustics.com/demos.php

played live on PAB showing again a lot of different stops and registrations and a nice plenum in the end.

I hope you enjoy it!

gingercat

PostSat Dec 13, 2008 11:48 am

Csaba Huszty wrote:The final price will be $899 (list price) after the group-buy is over [...] without VAT. The product is Hungarian (EU-based).

I had assumed that the group buy price would become the final price once the introductory period was over!?! Also hadn't spotted that VAT wasn't included, so the actual price for me now would be > $1000. That's going to make it very hard to push out any more copies now the introductory period is over! Just have to wait for the non pro-edition sets now!
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

jocr

PAB Pipe Organ Samples

PostSat Dec 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Csaba Huszty wrote:I hope you enjoy it!

It was an amazing demonstration. Way out of my league in every way.

James Pressler

polikimre

PostSat Dec 13, 2008 11:16 pm

Csaba Huszty wrote:The final price will be $899 (list price) after the group-buy is over (so this is not the remaining fee of the group buy but the price after the introduction), without VAT. The product is Hungarian (EU-based).

VAT in Hungary is 20%, so this makes the regular price 1078.80USD for customers from the EU. Others will pay $899 plus whatever import duty applies in their country.

Csaba Huszty

PostSun Dec 14, 2008 12:54 am

If you visit our webshop you will see the exact amount of VAT, which is dependent on your country of purchase.

kenzoliver

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 7:46 am

Hello Csaba and all,

I want built a crescendo roller for my organ in order t o use with PAB, on the real organ how many laps can be done on the roller to have the full crescendo (from level 00 to level 60).

Regards

Csaba Huszty

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 8:35 am

Hi!

There are 61 stages in each crescendo programs starting from 00 up to 60. Each stage is independently programmable. There are 2 programs in the Professional Edition which you can select/change (even while you play) with a single click. Stage 00 corresponds to the most quiet, stage 60 to the full organ. To produce an even more strong crescendo effect, you can simultaneously use both swellboxes as well (even with two legs).

The crescendo programs are exactly the same that are programmed into the real instrument. The two programs correspond to two philosophies: this first program starts without any stops at stage 00, while the second starts with some stops turned on at stage 00.

All crescendo events are highlighted on the organ, just as in the real instrument, so it is 'what you see is what you get'.

One of the features I like best is that the crescendo wheel can be enabled or disabled with the 133 Walze An "stop" on the right jambs at any time during play. The crescendo works as an additive "effect" 'on top of the stops' that you originally turned on, so this way, the crescendo can be used in live situations without causing to 'reset' the sound what you originally played with.

With the -Z button (reeds off) or with the "stop" 136 you can disable the reeds from any stage of the crescendo temporarily. With the "stop" 135 you can disable mixtures, with 134 you can disable couplers from the crescendo temporarily.

polikimre

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 10:41 am

I think the question is about how many revolutions does it take on a real crescendo roller to go from pppp to ffff. So if we decided to build one DIY, what should the design be?

kenzoliver

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Thank you very much polikimre it's exactly my question!!!

ecmartinjr

Will Purchasers Get An (E-mail) Invoice?

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Will the PAB group purchase participants be receiving an e-mail invoice or payment instruction? I await your instructions. Thanks. Ed Martin

jcfelice88keys

Number of Revolutions of Walze Wheel

PostTue Dec 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Hello Kenzoliver and other Crumhorns,

This is an attempt to answer how many revolutions the walze wheel requires to achieve the 61 distinct crescendo pedal steps in the PAB organ.

Actually, the answer involves a small amount of forethought plus some simple mathematics:

The drum diameter of the walze wheel is approximately 8 inches (20.3cm), as confirmed by measuring the diameter of the walze wheel on the 1929 Aeolian-Skinner organ in Rockefeller Chapel at the University of Chicago, USA, and as estimated by viewing the virtual console screen in the PAB program.

An assumed 8 inch diameter corresponds to a 25.12 inch (64cm) outer circumference. Now, if we were to estimate that each "click" of the crescendo program required 1/2" movement of your foot on the walze wheel, it is easy to see you would achieve approximately 50 clicks per one full revolution of the wheel. This means that 61 clicks of the crescendo program would correspond to approximately 1-1/4 revolutions of the walze wheel.

If, instead of 1/2" movement, we would select 1cm movement per click (approximately 0.4"), then 61 clicks times 0.4" would equal 24.4", or just under one complete revolution of the walze wheel. (24.4"/25.12" = 97% of one full revolution, or about 350 degrees' wheel rotation.)

Personally, from a design standpoint, I believe it would be to your advantage to adopt the 1cm per crescendo click design, because you would not have to exceed one complete revolution. With 350 degrees of rotation, there is still enough room in the design to allow the wheel to have bumper stops, in order to keep the wheel from being simply free-wheeling.

(Imagine how difficult it would be to engineer a rotating drum that is non-freewheeling, and has bumper stops that limit the rotation to 1-1/4 revolutions.)

I hope you find this information helpful.

Cheers,

Joe <jcfelice88keys>
Last edited by jcfelice88keys on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

polikimre

PostWed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 am

Thank you very much. If anyone come into close contact with a crescendo roller, could you please confirm these? Does it really take a full rotation or more? That would mean that large dynamic changes are not possible with one move of the foot. (Unlike with a crescendo pedal.) Or is that the whole point here: having a lot more stages in the crescendo than would be possible with a pedal?
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments