It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

1748 Johann Adam Ehrlich organ to be released in 01/2005

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

gernot

1748 Johann Adam Ehrlich organ to be released in 01/2005

PostWed Dec 15, 2004 9:36 am

Hello everybody !

I would like to announce that we have recorded and are currently processing the widely known 23 stop 1748 Johann Adam Ehrlich organ of the protestant church of Bad Wimpfen.

Together with the 32 stop organ from 1752, Bad Wimpfen posesses two of the most important organs of the southern German baroque.

Unfortunately the 32 stop instrument has been "restored" in a very inexpert way in the 1970s (i.e. damaged), so that it sounds horrible today. They have even thrown away an original, perfectly working Posaune 16´ rank and sawed off some 8´ ranks! This was supposed to be an "adaption to the modern idea of sound"... Very sad story.
Many people are trying to collect money for the "re-restauration", but as the costs are esimated ~ 1,500,000 Euro, it will most likely take many more years to gather all that money.

Of course - just like with the St. Johannes main organ restauration - Prospectum will support this very important project :
1) For each sample set, a certain amount of money will be handed to the Adam Ehrlich organ restauration association.
2) All the money you pay exceeding the minimum donation amount (which I need to refinance the sample set production) will be handed to them, too.

By the way : A picture of the wonderful 1752 organ can be seen at http://prospectum.dyndns.org !

Best regards,
Gernot

gehengeht

Re: 1748 Johann Adam Ehrlich organ to be released in 01/2005

PostWed Dec 15, 2004 11:50 am

gernot wrote:Unfortunately the 32 stop instrument has been "restored" in a very inexpert way in the 1970s (i.e. damaged), so that it sounds horrible today. They have even thrown away an original, perfectly working Posaune 16´ rank and sawed off some 8´ ranks! This was supposed to be an "adaption to the modern idea of sound"... Very sad story.

First, many thanks for your Birthday Organ.

But second - where can we read this story? 1970 seems far enough in time to make such desecration either willful or incredibly ignorant.

Or did you mean 1870?

Dave G.

gernot

ad "1970s"

PostThu Dec 16, 2004 3:55 am

The fateful year was 1972.
So I would opt for the latter - incredibly ignorant.

As I am in contact with the organ restauration association, I will provide as much information as I can get my hands on on the organ page at prospectum.com as soon as it is ready.

Here is an excerpt from the "Mainzer Bistumsnachrichten Nr. 27, 22. August 2002" (I'm sorry it's in German):

Nach Auffassung Bosserts bedarf es einer „bedeutenden kulturpolitischen Anstrengung", um jene Schäden, die 1972 (durch eine nicht adäquate Restaurierung) an Ehrlichs größter und bis dahin am besten erhaltenen Orgel entstanden waren, zu beseitigen. Dr. Achim Seip, Orgelsachverständiger für das Bistum Mainz und Mitarbeiter des Instituts für Kirchenmusik in Mainz, der an der Jubiläumsfeier teilnahm, unterstreicht im Programmheft, dass die Orgel in der Pfarrkirche Heilig Kreuz in Bad Wimpfen mit ihren 32 Registern, verteilt auf zwei Manuale und Pedale, Ehrlichs größte und bedeutendste Orgel ist. Heute präsentiere sich die Orgel in einem klanglich verfälschten und technisch dringend überholungsbedürftigen Zustand. Dennoch sei es als außergewöhnlicher Glücksfall zu bezeichnen, dass z.B. sämtliche sichtbaren Pfeifen an der Gehäusefassade noch original erhalten sind. Das Orgelgehäuse präsentiere sich noch in seiner ganzen Pracht und Monumentalität. Die größten Pfeifen an den Seiten des Gehäuses haben eine Länge von fast fünf Metern, wie Seip unterstreicht. Trotz dieser technischen Mängel begeisterte Bossert durch eine differenzierte, in der Registrierung sehr variable Darbietung. Deshalb werden die Orgelinteressierten sich freuen, wenn nach der Restaurierung die ursprünglichen Klangfarben und die Klangschönheit des Instruments wieder hergestellt sein werden.

gingercat

PostThu Dec 16, 2004 6:37 am

Google translation (my A level German is too rusty now...):

"In the opinion Bosserts requires it a "important politico-cultural effort", in order to eliminate those damage, which had originated in to 1972 (by a not adequate restoration) at Ehrlichs of largest and up to then best received organ. Dr. Achim Seip, organ expert for the diocese Mainz and coworker of the institute for church music in Mainz, which in the anniversary celebration it participated underlines in the program that the organ is holy cross in Bad Wimpfen with their 32 registers, distributed in the parish church on two manuals and pedals, Ehrlichs largest and most important organ. Today present yourself the organ in a klanglich falsified and technically condition urgently in need of an overhaul. Nevertheless it is to be called unusual stroke of luck that e.g. all visible pipes at the housing front still original are received. The organ housing still presents itself in its whole splendour and Monumentalitaet. The largest pipes at the sides of the housing have a length of nearly five meters, as Seip underlines. Despite these technical lack inspired Bossert by a differentiated presentation very variable in the registration. Therefore the organ-interested will be pleased, if after the restoration the original tone qualities and the sound beauty of the instrument will be repaired."

widor542

PostThu Dec 16, 2004 11:18 am

My translater gives this to the German listed above.

In the opinion Bosserts requires it a "important politico-cultural effort" to eliminate over those damage, which had originated in to 1972 (by a not adequate restoration) at Ehrlichs of largest and up to then best received organ. Dr.¶Achim Seip, organ expert for the diocese Mainz and coworker of the institute for church music in Mainz, which in the anniversary celebration it participated underlines in the program that the organ is holy cross in bath Wimpfen with their 32 registers, distributed in the parish church on two manuals and pedals, Ehrlichs largest and most important organ.¶Today present yourself the organ in a klanglich falsified and technically condition urgently in need of an overhaul.¶Nevertheless it is to be called unusual stroke of luck that e.g. all visible whistles at the housing front still original are received.¶The organ housing still presents itself in its whole splendour and Monumentalitaet.¶The largest whistles at the sides of the housing have a length of nearly five meters, like Seip underline.¶Despite these technical lack inspired Bossert by a differentiated presentation very variable in the registration.¶Therefore the organ-interested will be pleased, if after the restoration the original tone qualities and the sound beauty of the instrument will be repaired.¶

Hugh

Return to Hauptwerk instruments