It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 pm

Buzard Crackling

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

MRGreenwood

Buzard Crackling

PostTue Jan 04, 2005 7:39 am

I'm thoroughly delighted with the Buzard that Santa delivered. But I am experiencing a slight quirk that perhaps Brett or someone else could help with.

With the 8,4,2 set on the Great, I am experiencing some slight crackling if I play a chord comprising 5+ notes e.g. C major starting C below middle-C.

I'm running a 2.8G P4 with 1G RAM, and Audigy 2 sound card and have zapped all other running programs using EndItAll.

The HW settings are :-

volume - 40%
latency set to ??? (am at work and can't remember but I've increased it a couple of times giving current latency of 75ms)
mono

Aside from the fact that my machine spec should be more than fine for this organ, I don't get any issues such as this on St Anne's, even in stereo with a larger number of stops engaged.

Ideas?

Regards,

Martin

P.S. What's a good way of checking for free memory which is available for a sample library to load into? Perfmon'ing the Memory/Available Mbytes counter?

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Jan 05, 2005 10:18 am

Hello Martin. Ho Ho Ho.

I'm still on vacation, but I thought I'd drop in and see how things are progressing on this forum. Can you try lowering the HW output to a value of 30 or 35%? See if you get similar results. It could also be an audio card issue as well. Does the Audigy have an option for buffer adjustment? The Buzard samples are a bit more "hot" than the St. Annes, so it would take a lesser amount of stops together to reach the same amplitude as having many stops engaged in the St. Annes organ. I would think that an 8,4,2 combination shouldn't cause any problems with overload however. Also since you have 1 GB of RAM I would personally load the samples in stereo as the Buzard requires only 478 MB of memory! Perhaps for some reason loading in mono is creating problems? I'd also play around with various latency settings as well and see if that solves the issue.

I don't have access to loading the Buzard while on vacation, so I can't try things out yet for you. So, please let me know if these things help or not. Thank you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

MRGreenwood

PostWed Jan 05, 2005 6:41 pm

Replying while on vacation - service beyond the call of duty indeed!

Anyway, reducing the HW output to 32% has fixed the problem and is still ample to produce a decent volume. So thanks for the advice.

This Buzard of yours is doing my pedal practice no good at all. It's darn good fun just playing voluntaries from the Old English Organ Music for Manuals series.

Thanks again.

Martin

Return to Hauptwerk instruments