It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:34 pm

Bovenkerk Hinsz Volume II Released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Rijk

PostSun May 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Hello Brett,

In the specification of the couplers there are a few strange things:
1. III-II is missing (does exist in Volume 1).
2. II-I should be I-II ?

Extra couplers (do not exist in the real organ):
IV-I
III-I
I-P
III-P
IV-P

Rijk

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun May 10, 2009 4:53 pm

Hello Rijk,

Strange indeed!

That is a mistake in the coupler listing. Everything couples to manual II not I. Thus it should read:

I-II

III-II

IV-II

IV-III

I-Ped

II-Ped

III-Ped

IV-Ped

Some of the additional couplers are not found on the real organ, these were added for your convenience. You certainly do not need to use them, however we felt since we were extending the organ's compass in keyboards and pedal that the additional couplers would be welcome.

Sorry for the typos. The virtual organ does indeed couple properly as shown above, it was just a mistake in the web pages and documentation. Most likely due to a carry over from volume I where the Hoofdwerk was manual I.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Gert

PostTue May 12, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi,
I created a picture with labels for the manuals (click on it to see a large picture):
The first row contains stops of III and IV.
When it is a 'III stop' the label have two 'lines' (above and below).

I don't understand why the OpenFluit2 (and Afsluiting) of the Pedal also have 'two lines'.
Is that also the case on the real organ?

Regards,
Gert
www.PCorgan.com

pahasoft

PostTue May 12, 2009 2:30 pm

hello Gert,

See: http://www.everhardzwart.nl/jpeg/P9011629.JPG

Regards,
Paul Haagsma

Fokko

PostTue May 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi all,

Today I received the upgrade. It looks impressive, all that stops!
I have installed the extended version. Now I discover the organ/midi settings are not copied from Hinsz Volume 1 installation.

Is it possible to copy the settings, and if yes, how to do that?
Suggestions would be helpfull!

Thanks in advance.
Fokko Horst

Rijk

PostTue May 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Brett,

Today I was very happy to receive Bovenkerk Hinsz Volume 2.
Thanks Brett for this quick delivery.

Herewith some experience with installing.
On my system the Extended version in 20-bit with compression could not be loaded within 8 Gb (I have 'keep memory' enabled). Reason "low on memory".
With some trying I found that it was possible to load the Extended version with all the 16' stops and noises in 16-bit and the remaining stops in 20-bit (all with memory compression enabled).
During playing (at least 1 hour) I did not notice any problems/audio glitches (even with all the stops pulled) despite the warning in de logfile (see below).

The sound is superb!!!
Brett and Matin, many thanks for all the great and wonderfull work you did so far.

Regards,
Rijk

Some facts from my Hauptwerk logfile:

2009-05-12-20-40-29: INF:4165 Welcome to Hauptwerk.

Hauptwerk version: 3.21.
Build: 021.
License type: Advanced Edition (International).
Configuration: Stand-alone.
Processor build type: EM64T/AMD64 compatible, 64-bit.
Platform: Microsoft Windows.
Operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
Number of available CPU cores: 4.
Processor has Intel HyperThreading enabled: N.
Total installed physical memory reported by operating system: 8190 MB.
Current page file size reported by operating system (Windows PCs only): 7761 MB.
Very approximate estimate of total physical memory currently free/usable: 7319 MB.
CPU speed: 2404 MHz.
CPU/computer type: GenuineIntel: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11.
2009-05-12-20-40-38: INF:2106 Starting to load the organ file Bovenkerk-Hinsz-Volume-II-Extended.Organ.Hauptwerk.hbx. Very approximate estimate of total physical memory currently free/usable: 7274 MB. Very approximate estimate of sample and object memory currently in use by Hauptwerk (not including other data): 26 MB. Multi-threaded loading disabled: N. Organ definition auto-compacting disabled: N. [ACT:2001 Loading an organ.]

2009-05-12-20-43-15: INF:2116 Warning: the computer is running dangerously low on free memory. You chose to continue loading. Beware: poor performance or audio glitches are likely and the computer might become unstable. If an error occurs the sample set data cache might also need to be regenerated. [ACT:2001 Loading an organ.]

2009-05-12-20-43-17: INF:2157 The organ Bovenkerk-Hinsz-Volume-II-Extended.Organ.Hauptwerk.hbx has been loaded successfully. Metrics:

Organ ID: 000133.
Internal diagnostic code: 008P0000.
Memory usage: very approximate estimate of total physical memory currently free/usable: 10.89 MB.
Memory usage: very approximate estimate of sample and object memory currently in use by Hauptwerk (not including other data): 7219.93 MB.
Memory usage: overall compression ratio achieved for all ranks for which memory compression enabled: 47.95 percent.
Total loading time: overall: 158.078 seconds.
Total loading time: sample data: 156.750 seconds.
Total loading time: all except sample data: 1.328 seconds.

Rijk

PostTue May 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi Gert,

There are also double lines at the Prestant 16' of the Pedaal.
Probably this has to do with the fact that this stop has been borrowed from the Hoofdwerk (as far I know).
The same maybe true for the Openfluit 2' but borrowed from where ?
The double lines at the Afsluiting Pedaal is still a mystery too.

Rijk

Rijk

PostTue May 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi Fokko,

I think copying settings does'nt make sense in this case.

First there are now 4 manuals (vesrion has 2 manuals).
I did redo my redirectable inputs (my console has 2 manuals). I use all the 4 redirectables and with F1 to F4 on my PC-keyboard I can quick and easily switch manualcombinations. This took less then a minute. By the way I would like to have more than 4 redirectables (something for a future version of Hauptwerk ?).
A little bit more work for the stops (20 minutes) and I was all set.

Rijk

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue May 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Hello,

The internal organ IDs are different between volumes which allows you to retain settings for volume I separately from volume II, and thus treat them as two different instruments. Due to this you cannot easily transfer settings from volume I to volume II. There were also some modifications to the samples from volume I for this version which we are offering a patch for, therefore some of your settings may not transfer properly due to some sample changes (minor however). I will post a new topic shortly with details for this patch for the volume I samples and ODF.

You can find the volume I patch here:

http://www.milandigitalaudio.com/downloads.htm

ALso the same situation applies between the volume II original and extended versions, they each have their own IDs, thus any settings you create for the volume II original version will not transfer over to the extended version.

Regarding the lines above and below stop names. These are from the original organ. I am not aware of the history behind them, perhaps we can try to find out.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Fokko

PostWed May 13, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Brett,

Thanks, I will ad the settings to the extended version.

Is it possible to uninstall the Bovenkerk Hinsz 1 ? Or is it still needed for the upgraded version?

Greetings,
Fokko Horst

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Is it possible to uninstall the Bovenkerk Hinsz 1 ? Or is it still needed for the upgraded version?

Hello Fokko,

No, you must keep volume I installed since volume II pulls the sample files from that directory. The volume I samples remain in their original location, so if you delete them volume II will not run.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed May 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Dear all,

David Lines has just sent us a new demo for volume II to showcase some more of the baroque style of which this instrument so beautifully handles.

Please listen to David's recording of the Bach St. Anne's Prelude (fugue to come later!) Be sure to note the balance between divisions for the smaller portions then against the full tutti (which is actually not the entire organ.) We wanted to make sure that each division was clearly represented and never lost within the full ensemble. The Rugwerk and Borstwerk are a bit closer than the previous 2 divisions, thus giving a completely realistic 3 dimensional space to the virtual organ and putting you there!

We hope you enjoy the music!

Many thanks to David for his performance!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed May 13, 2009 7:20 pm

What else can we say other than "Wow!"

Great work, great playing
Thanks
François

Fokko

PostThu May 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Well, this evening I added some settings with help from Rijk - thanks Rijk! - and I could play the upgraded Hinsz for a few hours.
All I can say: what a great, powerfull and brilliant sound!
This really is worth every cent you pay for it.

Now I have to optimize some settings - if possible - because my Mac (4- cores, 12Gb) needs extra polyphony. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thank you very much, Brett!
Fokko Horst

gingercat

PostFri May 15, 2009 2:59 am

Got the set installed last night with no problems onto my fresh install of Win-7 RC. Very happy with the samples so far, although I've got to play much more to figure out how to register things with the additional arsenal of stops now available.

Found a nice YouTube video of "Nun Danket Alle Gott" on the Hinsz (performance on the organ itself) for some inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUihwTb6J0&feature=related I particularly like watching them drawing the stops at the start, thankfully we don't have to be quite so energetic with the sample set :)
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments