It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

Salisbury Willis Volume 1 Released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

imcg110

Re: Salisbury Willis Volume 1 First Impressions

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 6:39 am

I must admit that I like the couplers grouped together in some logical fashion. Hunting in stop jambs on an unfamiliar organ for that solo to choir 4' can be frustrating. The scheme Brett has displayed is the norm for later Willis (III) instruments. Locally we have the Glasgow University Chapel and Edinburgh University McEwan Hall (Orig Hope-Jones) consoles to attest to this. It seems Willis was quite keen to put their signature consoles on other makers instruments - eg Southwark Cathedral (orig Lewis). As long as the swell pedals are of the usual type - I can live with this arrangement. Be it stops or rockers, the bottom line is functionality.

PeterD

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 am

In terms of functionality, Brett's Salisbury follows the real thing in having the principle couplers operated by thumb pistons.. from NPOR
Thumb pistons for So-Pd, Sw-Pd, Gt-Pd, Ch-Pd, Gt-So, So-Sw, Sw-Gt, Sw-Ch, Ch-Gt,
So-Ch, So-Gt, Tremolos to Swell, Choir and Solo, Coupler Cancel, Great Trumpet
on Choir (was octave coupler cancel), Great and Pedal Combinations Coupled,
Cancel.

All you have to do is map them to the most convenient pistons on your set-up

Peter
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

Lougheed

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 7:53 am

Stefanussen wrote: I'm personally a big fan of having everything on drawknobs.

A personal, and perhaps cultural thing. I much prefer couplers on tabs, with stops on drawknobs.

Lawrence

RoyKnight

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 8:28 am

I, too, prefer the couplers on tabs vs. drawknobs for convenience of use. I think Brett's design will work nicely.
Roy
"Practice makes permanent"

jwillans

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 9:45 am

AndrewW wrote:[

I think we would all need two large widescreen touch monitors rotated 90 degrees to portrait mode in order to allow all drawstops to be displayed in a readable and touchable fashion. It would be a nice option to have and the new widescreen touch monitors introduced in the last couple of months in support of Windows 7 are more affordable. However, that would certainly be even more work for Brett and co and I'm not sure many people have gone this route (or are able to go this route, given existing console constraints) to make it worth their while. It should be possible for all the IKEA table implemented consoles.

Of course, you have to balance an implementation for Salisbury against all the other sample sets which are soundly configured for landscape displays. For these other sample sets, one would need to utilise the low-resolution sample set images on the widescreen portrait displays, resulting in an extreme letterbox effect if one is not to distort the images. This would be similar to viewing a c15" landscape monitor (dependent upon the size of the widescreen) which would be detrimental for many people relative to their current implementation.

It is an interesting question to raise though......
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

This is a question I am currently asking myself. I have designed my console around two touch screens which sit in the space where you would expect to find draw stops jambs either side of the manuals. These are intended to be mounted in portrait mode, because to my mind this most accurately reflects the traditional stop jamb space. However as you point out the sample producers have traditionally produced landscape stop jambs. Portrait mounting of the screens would mean writing custom UI screens using the ODF or perhaps JOrgan which is a hoop I'd rather not go through, on the other hand I am relunctant to change the design of the console. I would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this?

James

pwhodges

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Most display drivers these days can accommodate rotation of the screens. I don't know about touch screens, though - if they can also, it would be possible to have one's cake and eat it.

Paul

polikimre

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Then all you need to do is to rotate the stop labels :-)

On the other hand, as I looked at the stop display, it looks very natural to me to split it up into two portrait screens.
Last edited by polikimre on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwillans

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 1:53 pm

pwhodges wrote:Most display drivers these days can accommodate rotation of the screens. I don't know about touch screens, though - if they can also, it would be possible to have one's cake and eat it.

Paul

Yes both the displays and touch screen overlays can be rotated without issue. The issue for this configuration is with the UI screens that typically come with sample set which are designed for landscape orientated displays. If the displays are fixed mounted in portrait orientation in a traditonal style console then it would not be possible to accomodate these UIs.

James

vidarf

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 1:58 pm

That's a great idea! Why not make screens for portrait orientation of the dual screens? Shouldn't be that much more work?

Brett, any comments on this?

Stefanussen

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 2:00 pm

vidarf wrote:That's a great idea! Why not make screens for portrait orientation of the dual screens? Shouldn't be that much more work?

Brett, any comments on this?

I'm not opposed to the idea at all, but from what I've seen from just the CODM, those console screen layouts can be extremely tedious and labor intensive.
Rob Stefanussen

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Hello,

We were thinking about possibly creating a portrait layout faithful to the original console with couplers as draw-knobs. If we do this it will most likely be only included with Volume 3.

While the design elements would need to be determined at a later time, would users also still require the pistons, foot levers etc. as touch screen items, or would you only want the stop jambs with stops and couplers and then use your console for the pistons rather than using the touch screen items?

It isn't a trivial amount of work so it would take time and consideration depending on how may users might actually want to use this as opposed to the standard layout. I could add a poll here on the forum, but history shows that the majority of users usually don't contribute on polls, so I am not sure how accurate a poll might be to see how many users would prefer this format.

Lastly, what would the standard resolution be for users who may want to use this version? 1024x1280?

Thanks for all of your feedback and compliments!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

RoyKnight

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Brett,
I can really appreciate the amount of extra work involved in another display. Such an appropriate arrangement for the Salisbury and other English instruments would be great in addition to the norm. Personally I am satisfied with the 1280x1024 landscape. I wouldn't want to change screen position every time I played the Salisbury since every other sample set is landscape. I'm not even fond of changing resolution between landscape samples. It would be nice if they all were available in 1280x1024.
Roy
"Practice makes permanent"

StephenGlover

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Brett

I too would also greatly appreciate a pair of 'portrait' stop jambs, of any suitable resolution up to 1024 * 1280. I would only need the stops and couplers, using my console, thumb and foot pistons mapped to any other controls. I think that the concept of including it with the third volume is a good way to go, as I don't really want to learn to program JOrgan, or make use the the CODM with any resulting loss of funtionality in terms of multiples releases, etc.

Looks like this is going to be the sample set of the year.
Stephen Glover

PeterD

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Our console for Salisbury ( GrahamH is building for me) looks like this with lighted push switches for Salisbury's couplers above Solo, has dual touch screens for stops ( possibly J-organ front end) and thumb and toe pistons pretty well as NPOR
It should have good generic functionality as well, although designed principally for the Willis.
Still work in progress.... console not quite complete..details later

Peter
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Brett,
I can really appreciate the amount of extra work involved in another display. Such an appropriate arrangement for the Salisbury and other English instruments would be great in addition to the norm. Personally I am satisfied with the 1280x1024 landscape. I wouldn't want to change screen position every time I played the Salisbury since every other sample set is landscape. I'm not even fond of changing resolution between landscape samples. It would be nice if they all were available in 1280x1024.
Roy

Hello Roy,

If we decide to implement the portrait display this would consist of an extra ODF for those dual displays, the original landscape displays would still be included with the standard ODF. Thus the user would have the option to choose which they wanted to use.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments