It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

Salisbury Willis Volume 1 Released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Lougheed

Re: Salisbury Willis Volume 1 Released

PostFri Feb 19, 2010 11:35 pm

B. Milan wrote:We hope to have the demo version available within the next week or so, thus there should still be plenty of time for the introductory period for you to evaluate the Willis.

Thanks, Brett. That's great news. Working with a playable demo is the best way to evaluate sample sets, IMHO.

Lawrence

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Feb 20, 2010 1:55 am

I hope I'm not spoiling anything, but I wondered if the Salisbury jacuzzi (sorry, font) was sampled during the recording. To get a true aural ambiance of Salisbury in 2009/10, the constant trickle of running water from the nave is a distinct (to some, disconcerting!) feature. Or could you get it switched off during the recording sessions?

Thankfully this was turned off once the cathedral closed for the evening. The only internal "noises" we had to deal with believe it or not was the rack mount audio system gear which couldn't be turned off despite many pleas to do so (I understand it is a complex computer system to run the audio system and would require too many steps to turn it on and off each day/night). The recordings picked up a faint sound of the gear running, but was fairly easy to remove overall thanks to the rack being located outside the main choir area where the organ is located.

We didn't even think to sample the font. When you're on a limited time table sampling running water isn't really the first priority! Perhaps you could emulate this by taking some microphones to your bath while filling it with water, then adding some high quality cathedral convolution. Just don't drop the mics in the bath, especially if you are in it! :mrgreen:
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

PostSat Feb 20, 2010 8:57 am

Just don't drop the mics in the bath, especially if you are in it! :mrgreen:

LOL :D

Rgds,
Ed

Lougheed

PostSat Feb 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Right now I've been listening to the Salisbury demos (current and previous) through the Rodgers audio system. Sounds terrific!

Stephen Phillips

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 7:39 am

Dear Brett and all,

This is very exciting. Congratulations on what must have been a mind-bendingly taxing task — and in usual Hauptwerk community fashion, everyone wants even more from you!

Brisbane City Hall has a fine 5-manual Willis orchestral organ, though the hall's acoustics do not do justice to the instrument. The hall is now closed for extensive structural works as the foundations are in seriously degraded condition (not due to the organ, let me make clear...) This is an interesting and informative article on the organ and its history:

http://www.ohta.org.au/organs/organs/Br ... nHall.html

I wanted to comment on the aspect ratio and landscape/portrait issues discussed earlier in this thread. It seems quite obvious to me that larger draw-stop consoles are obvious candidates for twin-widescreen, portrait orientation displays. As with TV, the jump in image size (for wider aspect ratio material) when displayed full widescreen) is not trivial. Simple mathematics will show the considerable benefit.

I am very interested in this product:

http://www.cyclotouch.com.au/product_in ... 61f80e86e4

Check out the video at the bottom of the page, which rather dramatically demonstrates the use of a hammer rather than the more typical finger(s) for control. Note the convenient integrated rotation fitting. Resolution is 1680 x 1050, meaning it can show all horizontal pixels for the 'portrait' 1024 x 1280. But look at the vertical resolution gain! Why not take advantage of this style of display for those stop-jamb arrangements that fall naturally into these proportions?

For software attempting to provide an immersive virtual organ experience, I consider it a straightforward conclusion to construct the twin-screen graphics to conform with the natural proportions of larger instruments. And for the really gigantic organs, like West Point, which await suitably intrepid samplers, I am sure they would tolerate a little discretionary re-organising of stop positions to allow for nicely sized and spaced on-screen drawstops.

I personally quite like the grouped rocker-tab style of coupler array, though basic-function coupler pistons are great and I think practically essential (again from my point of view). This (the thumb pistons) is what we have implemented in a very long-winded (and finally nearing completion) project build: a 4-manual console designed specifically for St. Luke's Church, Buranda, South Brisbane. I'll post some pictures when it is actually operational. Not too long now (I continually tell myself). I'm also extremely keen to see the release of the Salisbury 'dry' set. Life is good....

Cheers,

Stephen.
Yours,
Stephen Phillips

Stephen Phillips

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 8:12 am

Hi again, I just did some rough layout with some actual mini draw-stops we are working with on another upcoming console project (I know, I should finish one before starting another...) These (the heads) are 30 mm in diameter.

I calculate the touchscreen mentioned in my previous post can comfortably 'host' 3 rows of 10 + 3 rows of 12 in a typical diamond arrangement. For twin screens this means a total of 132 drawstops — enough (almost) for the jambs of even very large instruments of the likes of the Sydney Town Hall organ:

http://sydneyorgan.com/TownHall2.jpg

(I count a total of 142 but I'm very sure these could be fitted with a little more snuggly arrangement).

I think it's pretty obvious that a widescreen monitor in portrait mode would be the go for this style of stop jamb.

Cheers,

Stephen.
Yours,
Stephen Phillips

Lougheed

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 9:05 am

Will the Salisbury work with a single 17" touch screen (running at 1280 x 1024)? Thanks.

Lawrence

gingercat

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 10:30 am

Lougheed wrote:Will the Salisbury work with a single 17" touch screen (running at 1280 x 1024)? Thanks.

Lawrence

1280x1024 is the perfect resolution for this set as that is the resolution the screen has been designed for.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

Lougheed

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 12:53 pm

gingercat wrote:
1280x1024 is the perfect resolution for this set as that is the resolution the screen has been designed for.

That's good. Thanks!

Lawrence

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Dear all,

Just a note to inform you that the Salisbury DVDs arrived a little later than expected. We will begin shipping them tomorrow. For US customers please allow 3-4 days for delivery and non-US customers should allow 2-3 weeks (usually less) for delivery.

Just in case those who placed orders weren't aware, your email receipt contains a link to download the Willis organ files for Hauptwerk. Please look under the order information and the link is available there.

Thanks to everyone for your orders!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Grant_Youngman

PostWed Feb 24, 2010 4:59 pm

B. Milan wrote:Just in case those who placed orders weren't aware, your email receipt contains a link to download the Willis organ files for Hauptwerk. Please look under the order information and the link is available there.

Although I've been quite happy to just be patient and wait for the DVD's (plenty else to do besides babysit 24 hours of download), when I tried the links in the email just a bit ago all it did was take me to the HW Store storefront.
Grant

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Hello Grant,

The email link expires after one week. I will email you privately with the link if you would like to download the set.

Thank you!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

dalest

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 4:52 am

hello ,
do you know how to hear the medieval clock?

imcg110

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 9:18 am

Assign it to a MIDI piston or other control.

dalest

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 9:24 am

ah thank you : could you explain me how to assign this clock to my third pedal (like crescendo or swell)? please...
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments