It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:42 pm

The Salisbury Organ - A user view ...

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Jim Reid

Re: The Salisbury Organ - A user view ...

PostFri Feb 19, 2010 10:04 pm

No, via USB 2.0 . See:

http://tinyurl.com/nfgpch

Will be great fun reloading HW 64 and all the sample sets.
Maybe I can just transfer all from the internal 450 GB
drive to the coming new drive, will see.
Jim Reid

dflick

PostFri Feb 19, 2010 10:10 pm

What a good deal!

I was under the impression that if you wanted to run HW on an external that firewire was the way to go because of speeds.

Jim Reid

PostFri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 pm

HW "runs" from the installed RAM, not an internal nor external
hard drive, A hard drive stores all when not being actually used,
but why extra HD capacity is needed to load organ samples into RAM
and then for the organ to play, I don't know.

Trust I have not erred in going this external drive route! USB 2.0
data transfer rate is some 450 MB per second, that should be
sufficient.
Jim Reid

engrssc

PostFri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 pm

The speed limit of USB 3.0 is set to 4.8 Gbit/s, which is roughly ten times USB 2.0 performance. What do you predict will be USB 4.0 max speed (Gbit/s) ? 8) Sounds to be smoking hot.

Just curious, Jim, why you went with an external vs internal HD?

Rgds,
Ed

Jim Reid

PostFri Feb 19, 2010 11:39 pm

Less fiddling about to use, primarily is my reason.

I have installed internal drives in the past. Did not
care for the fishing about and plugging in to the
bus cable, or whatever it is called. Then the added agony,
now gone with SATA I believe, to set tiny switches to
"master" or "slave" hd use.

Also, my PC is inside the console, and a real bother
to get in to it. Would have to remove, and work on
it in already tight quarters in my room.

Just a LOT easier to use an external drive. Here's hoping
this IS going to work!
Jim Reid

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Feb 20, 2010 2:05 am

Hello Jim Reid,

You won't need to totally reinstall everything when installing your new drive. I recently changed external hard drives, but I avoided having to reinstall everything by doing the following.

First, back up your Hauptwerk settings. Then copy all Hauptwerk folders from the old drive to the new drive (this may take quite a while depending on how many sample sets you have installed). I always start by creating a folder on the external drive into which all the Hauptwerk info can go, and this is then easy to duplicate this on a new drive. Next, uninstall Hauptwerk, choosing the option to keep sample sets and data. Finally, reinstall Hauptwerk using a custom installation, which allows you to specify where everything gets stored, and it's at this point you can choose select the folder on the new drive into which the various Hauptwerk folders will be placed. The Hauptwerk installer will find the existing folders and their data instead of creating new ones. Next time you run the program you can then restore your settings from the saved settings file, and you are back in business without having to totally reinstall every sample set from scratch. Be aware though that in the process you'll lose the cached sample set info, so the first time you load each organ the program loads it slowly as it creates a new cache file for that organ. (Hello Martin and Brett - how many marks out of 10 should I get for this explanation?)

By the way, I don't use the external hard drive for storage of files from the recording function. I have found that this needs to be in the computer's own internal hard drive in order for it to be accessed quickly enough. Everything else lives and operates quite happily in an external USB drive.

Now that I've just placed an order yesterday for a new Hauptwerk computer (I'm finally going quad-core) I'll have to do this all again myself very soon.

Regards,

Andrew Grahame

DanielCook

PostSat Feb 20, 2010 6:30 am

ajt wrote:But... the question, for anyone who has played Salisbury for real, is - is the HW sample a replica of being sat at the console, or being down in the choir stalls?

As the person who plays the Salisbury Willis every day I can safely say that it was not recorded to sound as it does at the console - wonderful though it is from there. The virtual verison sounds exactly as the real thing does from the entrance to the quire, and this is why it sounds both clear and warm. I can imagine Father Willis sitting at the entrance to the quire while voicing the instrument and the balance is certainly very good from there. The current console was added in 1934 and is on the opposite side and one bay further west than the original, which was inside the organ!. Father Willis would never have heard the organ from the position of present console so it made sense not to sample if from there.

The virtual version is so good that it has actually helped me to balance the real organ better.

Daniel
Daniel Cook

ajt

PostSat Feb 20, 2010 6:38 am

DanielCook wrote:The virtual version is so good that it has actually helped me to balance the real organ better.

Daniel

That's exactly why I was asking - I only play at Salisbury very occasionally, and usually with no preparation time as I've been upstairs rehearsing the choir. Hence, to have the organ sound like it does from below is a significant bonus in terms of understanding balance and colour.
Adrian

yorkorganist

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 2:20 pm

I have also just down loaded the Willis Organ. (24hours) without any problems.
I have loaded it into my Hauptwerk PC and, after making several memory saving adjustments, have got it running.
I agree fully with what everyone is saying about the excellent quality of the samples, even on my much reduced memory saving loading. I have already added a fourth manual to my organ and I am going to build a new PC with more ram to accomodate the set fully.
I have one problem, the oboe on the swell and the clarinet on the solo are constantly tremulating!..I have switched the trems on and off but but there is no difference. Is this a fault or is it because of how I have loaded the organ with much reduced realism etc. Anybody any ideas on this.

I think the work that has been done on this sample set is outstanding and I look forward to the next two volumes!

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Many thanks to everyone for your compliments!

I have one problem, the oboe on the swell and the clarinet on the solo are constantly tremulating!..I have switched the trems on and off but but there is no difference. Is this a fault or is it because of how I have loaded the organ with much reduced realism etc. Anybody any ideas on this.

Check that you don't have the wind model settings turned up to any extreme values. You should check that they are set to 100% to begin with then if need adjust to a different level. Loading with less realism features wouldn't cause this to happen, so I think it is due to the wind model settings being turned up too high.

You should check that the General settings | General options - Wind model is set to 100% then under Organ settings | General options - Wind model you can tweak the percentage if need be for that particular organ.

If you have adjusted the General setting wind model percentages that is a global feature and would apply to all organs. Thus setting that back to 100% (if it is not there already) and adjusting each organ under the Organ settings menus will allow you to keep all settings customized for each individual organ.

I hope that helps.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Palestrina

PostMon Feb 22, 2010 1:21 am

Hello Brett & yorkorganist

a wonderful organ.

I have the same problem:

For all registers, which were sampled with OST, only the
Samples with tremolo are loaded . I now have a bad
Computer and have all registers with 14-bits, only one loop, however, multiple
Releases loaded.

The wind model in "organ settings" I've disabled. It is
definitely not the reason for this problem.

The second question: I was sure that for the octave couplers 72
Pipes per stop there. Is not that so? Or has to wait for Vol 2?

Greetings from Berlin/Germany

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 am

Hello,

I believe I see what you are doing to make the tremmed samples only play. In the rank and audio output routing options you need to keep the option called ' Multiple attack/sustain sample handling mode' set to 'Load all available samples'. The tremulant ranks consist of 2 different attack layers with the tremmed being the first/default, so please keep this option at the default setting and it will fix your constant tremulant on issue.

I hope that helps.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

gingercat

PostMon Feb 22, 2010 3:50 am

B. Milan wrote:The tremulant ranks consist of 2 different attack layers with the tremmed being the first/default.

Might make sense to make the non-tremmed versions the default, such that those with restricted memory don't fall into this trap?
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 22, 2010 7:18 pm

The second question: I was sure that for the octave couplers 72
Pipes per stop there. Is not that so? Or has to wait for Vol 2

No, there are only 61 notes per rank and no more. I had checked this with the people while there and they also confirmed this is the case.

Might make sense to make the non-tremmed versions the default, such that those with restricted memory don't fall into this trap?

We'll be offering a patch update soon to take this into consideration. Being that the full organ with both sets of samples can easily be loaded in under 3GB I should think users would want to take advantage of both sets of samples. However we will change the default order so that disabling multiple attack samples will default to the non-tremmed set.

Thank you!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

rogbi200

PostTue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 pm

B. Milan wrote:We'll be offering a patch update soon to take this into consideration.

One other suggestion/request for the patch. Could the 'L' piston (for Capture/ Setting pistons) be more obvious when it is on- it hardly moves, and it's not at all clear when it is active/inactive- more than once I thought it was off, pressed to recall a selection and found I have wiped over that combination! Either improved lighting or more movement on the piston would probably do the trick.
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments