Search:
Submit Search

The Christopherson Home Organ

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...

The Christopherson Home Organ

Postby CHRIS 037 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:32 am

Hello All,
Well, I have finally finished my home organ CODM. Again I stand amazed at what one can do with Hauptwerk!

It’s been a lot of work, but I have everything I wanted in this organ working fine. To see the screen shots of the organ see:
http://home.comcast.net/~chris909037/site/
You can select “The Christopherson Home Organ” to see an overview of the instrument. And you can go to “Photos” and download the screen shots if desired.

What the HW CODM has allowed me to do is to take the ranks that I love to use most and pull them all together into one instrument. Doing a CODM also lets me include things that organs normally don’t have, for one reason of another. For example:

I have added an expression enclosure and pedal for all four of the organ’s divisions. One thing I like about theatre organs is that they are usually all under expression. So, I have the potential to do that here. It’s easy to use HW’s editing and set any or all expression pedals on or off.

I placed tremulants on all divisions (even pedal). I used the very good tremulant samples that come with the Anloo organ to give all ranks a tremulant (except for a few stops---piano, harpsichord, some 16’, 32’ and 64’ pedal ranks, etc.)

I have used multiple instances of those terrific sounding ranks from the Anloo organ: Principael 8’, Roerpijp 8’, Octav 4’, and Spitzpijp 4’. Also, I have included most of those incredible reeds from the Caen organ: Clarion 4’ x 3, Trompette 8’ x 3, Bombarde 16’ x 3, Cromorne 8’, and the Basson 16’. I tried to use the big 32’ Contre Bombarde but there is such a large initial delay in its speaking that it was not workable. Instead I used the 32’ pedal reed from the St. George’s Casavant. I have included my 64’ Tuba Monstruo also. . . that thing really does add to the sound when using speakers.

I used HW’s ability to extend ranks beyond the recorded sample range to extend almost all ranks 12 notes above the 61 note keyboards (32 on the pedal) and 12 notes below the bottom of the keyboards and pedals (except for the 32’ Contre Bourdon and the 64’ Tuba Monstruo). This may seem silly at first, but I must say, it works very well. The main idea was to make it so pipes would not run out when a 4’ (super) coupler was used in the top octave, or a 16’ (sub) coupler in the bottom octave. One might think that an 8’ rank extended down into the 16’ range would sound “wrong” in some way. But, in fact, the ranks sound quite good. And the pedal 16’ ranks go down to 16 Hz, and the 8’ ranks to 32 Hz. My speakers handle all this quite well it turns out (those two 25” subwoofers). The super coupler in the pedal is very useful; the sub pedal coupler needs to be used with care!

Using my multiple speaker grouping (six groups of 12 speakers, 4 groups of 2 stereo speakers, and one group of 2 speakers for Pedal) I have been able to separate stops so that I get a wonderful big full sound. Have a look at the EXCEL screen shots to see how the ranks are distributed. I have just finished “voicing” the instrument and I am extreemly impressed with how beautiful the sound is.

Here are some of the facts about the Christopherson Home Organ:

The organ uses 64 ranks from the following:
20 ranks from the Anloo organ,
19 ranks from the Caen CC organ,
13 ranks from the St. George’s Casavant,
9 ranks from the Virginia TO,
3 ranks from the Sygsoft harpsichord

The organ uses 4.482 GB of RAM when loaded into the Mac Pro.

All ranks are loaded in 24-bit resolution, reverb tails cut to #2
(except for the piano’s, harpsichord’s, and Chrysoglott’s)

All ranks going to the 12-speaker groups (Cycle ranks and octaves mode) are loaded in mono. The ranks going to the 4 stereo groups are in stereo (Tone Mode 1), and the last group of 2 for pedal stops are in mono (Cycle ranks and octaves, so pedal pipes alternate back and forth).

Most organists I have talked to seem often to be wishing the organ they play regularly had something more or different. . . additional ranks, different voicing perhaps. Well, with HW I have always found every set to be lacking in something or other. One solution is to load a different sample set for different types of music. Another solution these days is to make your own “dream machine” using HW. I have always wanted a non-theatre type organ for playing both hymns and more pop type music. Now I have that.

It was so wonderful this evening to settle onto the bench of my old Rodgers console and play some music live again (after a month or so of recording with the HW CODM Grand Player Organ and listening with headphones).

All the best to you all, :D

Leo Chris.
CHRIS 037

Re: The Christopherson Home Organ

Postby kiwiplant » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:00 am

Is there a way to see the picture larger at http://home.comcast.net/~chris909037/si ... yer_Organ/ ?
kiwiplant

Postby CHRIS 037 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 am

Yes,

If you go to the Photos page and click on the image there, you change the "thumbnail" into a full image. Or, one can download the file and view it on their own computer with a graphics or photo viewing program.

BTW: in the next day ro two I will also post a "Blank" CODM file of this organ layout (with the info about it under the CODM section of the Forum). The ranks and stopranks will be gone, and the stops will be listed as "Great 01," "Great 02," etc.. The idea is that others who are savy about the CODM may wish to put together their own CODM organ based on my layout. If you have ever designed a CODM organ you probably will agree that one of the biggest jobs is designing the graphic for the screen display. . . this CODM can give one a big headstart, I hope. It should be possible for anyone with HW to load this file from <Design tools><Load custom organ> and get it up and "running."

This organ was begun from Martin's St. Anne's "with all the trimings" organ. I expanded it from there for a 1280 x 1024 sized screen. It includes Martin's blower sounds, tracker-type key action noise, stop action noise, and trem noise. I'll leave those active in the Blank CODM. I'll also include one or two ranks and stopranks from the St; Anne's organ (these stops will play and be the only ones in the CODM). That will give an example of how to set ranks and stopranks for the full rank and coupler* extensions an octave above and below the normal keyboards and pedals.

*Another interesting thing is that when one couples one manual to another with the 4; or 16' couplers, one also gets that full extended range of notes from the coupled manual. Now, that's a great feature! There will be a lot more details in the posting about this later. :)

Leo Chris.
CHRIS 037

Postby CHRIS 037 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:23 pm

I have now added the posting dealing with the Blank CODM organ. Look under the Forum's section for CODM postings if you are interested.

Leo Chris.
CHRIS 037

Postby kruimel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 am

Leo,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful CODM-experience with us!

As a matter of fact, I bought the Anloo primairily because of your appreciation, and I must say, that it impresses me and my friends!
I also have the Cavasant, and the Caen is the one highest on my wishlist because I like to play the Fr Romantic repertoire very much. ( I also have the Forcalquier from SP).

Perhaps, as soon as I have the Caen, I will try to do what you did ( not the speaker-assemblies....-:), and learn form your work.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Geert.
kruimel

Postby CHRIS 037 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks Geert,

When you have the Caen let me know. If you would be able to use it, I'd be happy to send you the .xml CODM file for the Home Organ. Once you know how to work the CODM, you can edit out or replace the ranks you don't have with ones you do have. Since you would have the Anloo, Casavant, and the Caen, you would have most of the ranks used in my custom organ.

And, that goes for any other HW folks too. Just email me and I can send you the CODM file for the Home Organ. For it to be most useful, you would probably want to have most of the organ sample sets that I listed above. I'm not sure HW email can have attachments so if you email me through HW's Forum, please include a return email address different from your HW one.

Leo Chris.
CHRIS 037

Return to Hauptwerk instruments