It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 pm

Thuringian Organ Model and Prague Baroque v.2

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

achenpigeon

Re: Thuringian Organ Model and Prague Baroque v.2

PostSun May 08, 2016 9:33 pm

I apologize for resurrecting a long-silent thread, but I hope to ask - I appreciate the Prague Baroque model's current "Dryness" or intimacy, as it makes for a good practice instrument, but I feel the sound of the virtual instrument is often somewhat sharp, thin and frankly unattractive, unlike that of recordings on the real instrument which sound brilliant, and yet full and beautiful. I would love to play Pachelbel, Froberger, Frescobaldi, Gabrieli, perhaps some Bach, etc. on this instrument as I've heard on CD's, but the dryness of the samples is an instant turn-off to me.

Some sound samples of the real instrument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozHIw-6eYg
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail ... um/4289566

Initially I thought this had to do with the wind model, but I chanced upon some recordings by Fazioli on contrebombarde which stuck me with their true-ness to the marvelous sounds of the original organ. Apparently, these were done from the virtual model, but treated with IR reverb.

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/3474
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/3473
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/3472

Thus, I think that the problem is with the recording position - although the closer position to the pipes offers more clarity, it doesn't give us much of an impression of (to use a clichéd - at least in the organ world - expression) the most important stop - the reverberant interior of the church. And thus, the beauty of the highly Italianate plenum of this Baroque masterpiece, and the colorful timbre of the individual stops, is lost without the ambience. We can hear some of the original sounds from the samples treated with reverb by Fazioli, but I think it would do most justice to this remarkable instrument to make some more samples farther from the instrument, and make a surround version of the model. So, if I may ask, is this a project that you are undertaking, or considering in the future?
If not, has anyone have experience with playing around with the model and adding reverb like Fazioli did, in order to improve its sound?

OrganoPleno

PostMon May 09, 2016 12:17 pm

achenpigeon wrote:Has anyone have experience with playing around with the model and adding reverb like Fazioli did, in order to improve its sound?

Although I've not tested it with this Sample Set, I have used "Acon Digital Verberate" to excellent effect with several dry or semi-dry Sample Sets. Available for about $99 US, there are lots of pre-sets and lots of adjustable parameters, so you can have fun developing exactly the effect you want... helping to get the best out of any Sample Set whose own built-in reverb may be less than desired. Highly recommended.

OrganoPleno

PostTue May 10, 2016 1:21 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:I have used "Acon Digital Verberate" to excellent effect with several dry or semi-dry Sample Sets.

I tried this out today on the Prague Baroque Sample Set, and it worked pretty well. I used a preset called "Large Dark Theatre", which adds a lot of body to the sound, without overloading the Reverb (since the set already does contain some significant Reverb). This involves routing the Hauptwerk Audio to the Hauptwerk VST, and then playing that VST along with the Reverb Program inside of a Host. I use Cantabile, which is inexpensive and easy to use. There are many others available.

achenpigeon

PostTue May 10, 2016 8:35 pm

quote="OrganoPleno"]
OrganoPleno wrote:I tried this out today on the Prague Baroque Sample Set, and it worked pretty well. I used a preset called "Large Dark Theatre", which adds a lot of body to the sound, without overloading the Reverb (since the set already does contain some significant Reverb). This involves routing the Hauptwerk Audio to the Hauptwerk VST, and then playing that VST along with the Reverb Program inside of a Host. I use Cantabile, which is inexpensive and easy to use. There are many others available.

This is with the dry set, right?

OrganoPleno

PostWed May 11, 2016 4:25 pm

achenpigeon wrote:This is with the dry set, right?

No, my Prague Baroque is the Wet version. Chances are, the effect would be better with the Dry version, because then you wouldn't have two different reverb's in competition. (Also, one could try truncating releases, but I've never had much in the way of good results from that.)

With the Dry version, you could probably use a larger Reverb, such as the "Huge Stone Church" preset, which I enjoy with the Rieger Scots II.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments