It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:11 am

Videos of Vollenhove

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

gerrit

Videos of Vollenhove

PostSat Aug 14, 2010 1:50 pm

For the fans of the OAM Vollenhove set, several videos of a concert on the real organ can now be found on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/AAHinsz
Gerrit Veldman

Free sheet music available at my website.

deWaverley

Re: Videos of Vollenhove

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Haha...and I always thought I had my tracker noises set too high!

deW

telemanr

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 2:34 pm

The brain is a marvelous organ. Thank goodness or the clatter would completely obscure the music. As it is the organist filters out the noise quite unconsciously but still it is nice that HW allows us to hear the noisy organs as a listener would rather than as the player does. I like that we have a choice. After all, the clatter really is noise rather than music. Surely builders tried to make the sounds as quiet as possible. And now we can. This is not a bad thing.
Rob Enns

ajt

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 2:41 pm

I used to play from time to time at Romsey Abbey, which is a beautiful 1860s Walker with Barker Lever on the swell. I used to find the clatter quite annoying because I found myself confused between the notes I heard and the rhythmic clattering, and would find myself slowing down. I'm sure with a bit more exposure to it, it would have been fine, but it was quite disconcerting.
Adrian

telemanr

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Try listening to Roth at St. Sulpice with everything coupled and the Barker Levers going full bore. It's an amazing clatter.
Poor Daniel.
I just thought of a solution. (not too serious) Microphones down in the listening position and the organist wears headphones so he hears what the organ actually sounds like. It could make registration easier because what you hear as balanced sound while on the bench isn't always so for the audience.
Rob Enns

marcus.reeves

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Strangely enough I find the clatter of the keys helps me to maintain a steady pulse, especially in Bach. I actually don't mind them in performance either, as for me it's an integral part of the instrument and gives a sense of the player being, literally, in touch with the instrument.

ajt

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 4:35 pm

It was actually in Bach I found it most annoying - because the notes were heard after the clatter, I found I ended up with the aural equivalent of a conductor following the choir; dragging and dragging. General accompaniment, fine, really only rythmic sections that I struggled. Odd!
Adrian

telemanr

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 4:48 pm

The same thing can happen if the console is far enough from the pipes so that that there is a delay between key press and sound reaching your ear. It takes practice to avoid gradually slowing down. Listening to the somewhat distant congregation sing can have the same effect. Great fun.
Rob Enns

marcus.reeves

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 6:23 pm

ajt wrote:It was actually in Bach I found it most annoying - because the notes were heard after the clatter, I found I ended up with the aural equivalent of a conductor following the choir; dragging and dragging. General accompaniment, fine, really only rythmic sections that I struggled. Odd!

I tune into the clatter rather than the sound in the building. It's a bit of a mental challenge to focus on this sometimes, but great fun and then once everything is rhythmic, you can switch over and enjoy the sound of the organ reverberating around the building. As telemanr says, great fun!
Best wishes,
Marcus

Dutch Brad

PostSat Aug 21, 2010 4:45 am

If you play organs like these often enough, you don't even hear the clatter after awhile.

I have played Vollenhove a few times and it does make a bit more noise than most organs do. You do have to remember that parts of this organ are 325 years old and it would be wonder if they didn't clatter. Except in quick pedal parts with only one or two flue stops open, you don't actually hear much of it in the church itself.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments