It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

Hymns

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

armorsecsys

Hymns

PostThu Sep 01, 2005 5:25 pm

I have noticed that when their is an organ demo they usually play classical Pieces for their demos. Can I get some Hymns? I am going to be using my Hauptwerk Setup for hymn playing. I want to see what it would sound like playing hymns and doing veriations with the stops these organs have....

Would someone record a few hymns with the organ demo's next time?

Thanks,

Matthew

Charles Braund

PostThu Sep 01, 2005 8:06 pm

If you visit the Silver Octopus site - mainly the news page, you will find that many of the demos of stops and combinations are of hymns. I'm afraid that they tend to be English in general and many of them are from the Roman Catholic tradition but nonetheless, they are hymns.

My reasons for doing this is that it is a darned site easier to produce a short demo using a hymn than learning and playing an excerpt from one of the classical pieces.

8ftStop

PostFri Sep 02, 2005 9:39 pm

I have a few MP3s of hymns on my (very out of date) web site using the MilanDigitalAudio St. Georgenkirche Silberman samples. I thought nobody would ever want to hear them, but that's the great thing about communicating to the whole world via the Internet, there is always somebody out there with a common interest. Here is the url.

www.ScottDuncan.us

BachsFugue

PostFri Sep 02, 2005 11:12 pm

Matthew wrote:
Would someone record a few hymns with the organ demo's next time?

It seems that you and I both have an affinity for hymns. I think the trouble is that few people really "get into" hymns. I do! I have had the good fortune to hear many fine organists play hymn services and use their talents and inventiveness to covey the tenor of the words and spirit of the music. I truly love hymns and good hymn playing.

In this vein, I have produced a CD of mostly hymns. I am giving it to my friends and hope that they will be uplifted as I am in the music of hymnody. I have used the three-manual realization by Jonathan Orwig of the Schantz organ in First Baptist Church, Riverside, California. This is my only purchased sample set, and I find it satifying. It's what I'm used to: the Eclectic American Organ. I'd like to include some samples on my web site, but, unfortunately, there is not enough space on the AOL web space I use.

Here's the playlist:
    01 “Sleepers, Wake!” A Voice Astounds Us – Wachet auf (P. Nicolai) J. G. Walther, J. S. Bach
    02 Lo! He Comes, with Clouds Descending - Helmsley (A. Arne)
    03 What Is This Lovely Fragrance? – Quelle est cette odeur agréable? (J. Gay) P. Manz
    04 In Dulci Jubilo (German Carol) P. Manz, J. S. Bach
    05 In the Bleak Midwinter – Cranham (G. Holst)
    06 Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring – Werde munter (J. Schop) J. S. Bach
    07 Kyrie eleison (Traditional Plainsong); Eucharistia: Meditation on a Plainsong Kyrie G. Cassler
    08 Deck Thyself, My Soul, with Gladness – Schmücke dich (J. Cruger) J. S. Bach
    09 Christ Jesus Lay in Death’s Strong Bands – Christ lag in Todesbanden (Geystliche gesangk Buchleyn) J. S. Bach
    10 Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah – Cwm Rhondda (J. Hughes) P. Manz
    11 All Things Bright and Beautiful – Royal Oak (M. Shaw) arr. C. Votaw
    12 I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say – Third Mode Melody (T. Tallis)
    13 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God – Ein feste Burg (M. Luther) J. Pachelbel, J. S. Bach
    14 Concerto In G (BWV 592) – J. S. Bach after a concerto in G for strings by Prince Johann Ernst of Sachsen-Weimar
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

CHRIS 037

Some Hymns

PostSat Sep 03, 2005 10:53 pm

There are some Hauptwerk played hymns on my 5-Manual site:

http://www.leochristopherson.com/five_m ... _files.htm

There's also quite a few non-classical pieces on there. My main purpose in setting up the organ part of my website is to demo some of what can be done with Hauptwerk--both good and bad results, I'd have to admit.

Leo Christopherson

CHRIS 037

Link Problems

PostTue Sep 06, 2005 6:49 pm

Sorry Folks,

If you went to my website to look for those hymns I mentioned and couldn't get them. . . well, I had a whole bunch of links messed up. They are ok now, I checked each one out, one by one.

CHRIS 037

And BachsFugue,

If you could get some of your hymns to me I'd be glad to put them on a separate page on my website. (Until I start to run out of room for my stuff--still quite a way off.) I love hymns too and love the sound of the FBR organ from Jonathan Orwig.

Giles Kennedy

PostSun Sep 11, 2005 12:57 pm

armorsecsys

I have used the St Anne's stereo organ set for playing hymns "live" via a one-manual setup (Yamaha P120 stage piano). I got interested in HW because the P120 only has 2 built-in organ sounds which while OK in their own right don't give you much flexibility when building up to the last verse!

It looks like the St Anne's organ is unsurprisingly set up (5 piston-activated combinations per division) largely for use in church services - some of the combinations are ideal for use in hymns. To get it to work well with the P120, which has 2 rows of 7 buttons that can be configured to control the pistons etc. in HW1, required a bit of jiggery-pokery but the end result is fantastic. I modified one or two of the combinations to make them more suited to my limited no. of manuals. I also added a "reverse" coupler (pedal to Great) to make the pedals playable, and cut about an octave off the top end of the pedals to stop the sound getting too muddy.

Not done any recordings though I'm afraid. (Yet!) But often when I hear a digital organ I think to myself that my own HW setup would sound better. HW2 will give some further improvements even for "basic" use, e.g. better swell modelling (if you have enough memory) and resolution of the glitch which causes a slight click or thud when low pipes (c. 8' pitch say or lower) close.

--->Charles
>I'm afraid that they tend to be English in general and many of them are from the Roman Catholic tradition
As far as I'm aware it's not a crime to be English, Roman Catholic, nor even a Roman Catholic in England (these days at least :-P)

Return to Hauptwerk instruments