Search:
Submit Search

St. Maxim screen display

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...

St. Maxim screen display

Postby swendello » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Hello,
I have installed the Demo version of the St. Maxim, and have encountered a problem with the screen display that I have not seen mentioned by anyone else. The console image is oversized for the screen and the bottom section is cut off view. This occurs no matter what screen resolution is used. It will scroll laterally but not up and down. The only way to access the bottom stops is to use the right or left jam display and scroll sideways. It make it practically awkward to do any stop selection. I use a Mac pro with a 21" screen. The St. Max console image does not seem to have any way to extend the lower image boundary so that the entire console jams are visible. Am I missing something obvious, and has anyone else had this problem, or knows of a way to get the entire console image to be accessible?
Thanks for any help.

Wendell O
Wendell Obetz
swendello

Re: St. Maxim screen display

Postby MBar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:00 pm

I am not sure that my point is related to your problem. However, I fully understand this kind of problem that was put forward several years ago in this forum. Long time ago, I remember asking Jiri to modify, if possible, the size of the console image of the Palma St Augusti organ to fit the low resolution screen of my small laptop. Jiri was kind enough to do so. But apparently this seems to require a significant work and, of course, you cannot require that for any new sample set. I am somewhat amazed that this problem has not been considered by Martin,
even (i) if the price of higher resolution screen has considerably dropped and (ii) this is not aproblem related to the quality of Haupwerk .
.As far as I remember, long time ago when coding in C++, the coding tools allow easily to get resizeable pictures. But Maybe I am wrong.
Of course we have not access to the code source!
Michel
MBar

Postby mdyde » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Hello Wendell/Michel,

There are lots of forum posts about sample set and Hauptwerk screen resolutions, e.g. here are a couple of recent ones and some relevant excerpts from them:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7147&p=50274#p50274

In the current version of Hauptwerk (v3.30) you need to make sure that you have a display resolution that's at least as high as the minimum resolution specified as the prerequisite for any sample set you want to use, so that the sample set's virtual console will fit on your screen. Sample set producers' websites usually state the minimum prerequisite screen resolution for each of their sample sets.

For example, the Paramount 310 sample set requires a display resolution of at least 1280 x 1024 pixels.

I'm not familiar with your model of monitor, but maybe you can increase its resolution setting (right-click on the desktop on Windows or use the Windows Control Panel to get to the display settings). If not, you would either need to get a new monitor that supports at least the resolution those sample sets require, or stick to sample sets that are designed to fit within your monitor's (maximum) resolution.

Most modern monitors have native resolutions significantly higher than 1280 x 1024.

The forthcoming Hauptwerk v4.0 will automatically zoom (or optionally scroll) the virtual consoles to fit, so you might instead prefer to wait for that (expected later this year).

However, note that generally organs that currently require for at least 1280 x 1024 resolutions often do so because they have complex virtual console designs (e.g. theatre organs have a lot of stop tabs to fit on the screen), so if zoomed to fit on a lower resolution then the controls will become smaller and thus might be more difficult to read or operate with a touch screen.

Hence you might still want to consider buying a new monitor that supports a (primary) resolution of at least 1280 x 1024 pixels. Hauptwerk (Advanced Edition) allows multiple monitors to be used simultaneously, so you could keep your existing monitor and use that too.

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7212&p=50808#p50792

In v4.0 the virtual consoles can auto-zoom to fill the available space (but preserving their aspect ratios, so that round draw-knobs remain round, etc.). That does allow virtual consoles to fit on screens that would previously have been too small. However, many of the sample sets that required 1280x1024 did so because they had a lot of controls to fit on the screen, so zooming them for smaller resolutions might make their controls more awkward to read and use.

Hope that helps.

I am somewhat amazed that this problem has not been considered by Martin,

It has indeed been requested many times before. However, making zoom-able virtual consoles that are both clear, high-quality and perform well in real-time wasn't a trivial amount of work, and please bear in mind that we're a small company with finite resources. Hopefully you'll like the functionality when it's available in v4.0.

As I also noted in my previous replies quoted above, zoom-able consoles aren't necessarily a panacea, since often sample sets that are designed for higher resolutions choose those resolutions because they have a lot of stops to fit on the screen and they need to be large enough to be clearly legible and usable with a touch-screen.

I have installed the Demo version of the St. Maxim, and have encountered a problem with the screen display that I have not seen mentioned by anyone else. The console image is oversized for the screen and the bottom section is cut off view. This occurs no matter what screen resolution is used. It will scroll laterally but not up and down. The only way to access the bottom stops is to use the right or left jam display and scroll sideways. It make it practically awkward to do any stop selection. I use a Mac pro with a 21" screen.

I haven't had a chance to try the St. Maximin sample set yet, although its prerequisites state 1280x1024 as a minimum screen resolution:

http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/organs/Max/screenshots.0.asp

Do you mean you have a 21" Apple display? If so, surely the native resolution of that would be much higher than 1280x1024? (The native resolution of my 30" Apple Cinema Display is 2560x1600.)

Do you perhaps have some option selected in OS X that magnifies the display (not sure if such an option exists?), thus reducing its effective resolution?
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby MBar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Martin,
It is OK for me since I changed my laptop last year when upgrading to XP 64 bits with a 1920 x 1200 sceen resolution. Again congratulation for your wonderful Haupwerk ( and incidently congratulation to Jiri for the new St Max, a "Merveille"
Michel
MBar

Postby swendello » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks, Martin, for pointing me the way out of the woods. My Apple display has resolution max of 1020 x 1200, but it was linked with my touch screen monitor in a mirror display. The monitor has the low resolution, and it constrained what the Apple display would allow. So...., unhooking the monitor took care of it. Only problem is that I like to use the touch screen for stop selection. Probably means getting a new touchscreen monitor.
I appreciate your fast and detailed response, and I learned about something previously overlooked. Thanks.
Wendell
Wendell Obetz
swendello

Postby mdyde » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks, Wendell.

You're welcome.
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Return to Hauptwerk instruments