It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

Caen v.2 released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Caen v.2 released

PostFri Aug 05, 2011 4:25 am

Hello Douglas,

Is the success, or otherwise, of a large download not dependent to a certain extent on one's choice of browser?
Did I not hear/read somewhere that one or more browsers would crash when trying to download 4GB or more?
I had problems downloading HW4 some months ago using a certain browser, but with others it was not a problem.

Here's one recent topic in the subject:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8268

Personally I normally just use Firefox, and never have any problems (although I do have a good, stable Internet connection).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostFri Aug 05, 2011 4:38 am

Thanks, Martin - I knew I had seen it somewhere! :roll:

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Alzheimer's creepeth on day by day....."
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

David

PostFri Aug 05, 2011 5:02 am

I had no problem downloading the demo with firefox. It took 59 minutes.

Anyway I have just received the new version and installed it. I can see the difference, the sound is even cleaner. An excellent job has been done.

Just a little point concerning the contrebombarde 32 : the effect is effectivly now more like a Cavaillé-Coll one, but it is way too weak. I have to raise the amplitude in the voicing parameters by at least 6 points if I want to begin to hear the effect it should have in a real Cavaillé-Coll instrument that has the contrebombarde 32 buit-in it.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this new version. Thank you Jiri for this excellent job.

Gedakt

PostSat Aug 06, 2011 8:05 pm

zurek wrote:- one user reported that after the installation, he could not load the ODF named Caen Wet. That is correct. Indeed, the new version does not have any Caen Wet ODF, there is only Caen Dry and Caen Surround now. So, if there is ODF named Caen Wet persisting on your system, it is the version 1 ODF. The version 2 is not backward compatible with version 1. THerefore, no ODF of the version 1 will work with the new sample set. I recommend to uninstall version 1 before the installation of the version 2 so that there are no remnants of the earlier version on your system and you have the clean version 2 installation. Nevertheless, it is surely sufficient to deinstall just this one single ODF named Caen Wet, the rest will work OK. I am sorry for this confusion.

Jiri -

If I upgrade from Caen V1 Wet to V2 Surround (the only option) and, as you suggest, the V1 Wet version is first uninstalled, can registration & voicing settings be carried forward to the V2 Surround?

Max

Gedakt

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 12:10 pm

I am assured by Jiri (via the Forum & private emails) of the following regarding Caen Version 2 –

1) There is no Caen V2 Wet per se.
2) If one has Caen V1 Wet and wishes to upgrade he must use either V2 Dry or V2 Surround.
3) V1 Wet and V2 Surround cannot coexist. Upgrading will destroy V1 Wet and all its settings.
4) To upgrade and achieve a “V2 Wet” one would have to purchase and install V2 Surround (losing all V1 Wet settings) and then use only the Front L & R signals.

V1 Wet is one of my favorite sample sets and I have spent many hours voicing it to suit my particular taste and acoustic environment. I also have about 20 registrations stored for the various pieces I play on this VPO. According to Jiri, none of this could be carried forward in an upgrade.

I would be most grateful for answers to any of the following –

1) Has anyone actually done this and is using only the V2 Surround L & R channels?
2) Are there any major benefits that would justify such an upgrade, bearing in mind the cost and all the associated work necessary to revoice and replace the lost registrations and other settings?
3) Is there a downside in this upgrade, apart from losing all previous settings? For instance, are the reverberation characteristics of the V2 Surround L & R channels identical or similar to those of V1 Wet?
4) Is there any other way around this problem?
5) How could I preserve the existing V1 Wet with all its settings in case it were necessary to revert?

Max

mdyde

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Hello Max,

I'm not in a position to be able to answer most of those questions (since it isn't our product, I don't currently have a copy of the v2 sample set, and I have minimal knowledge of it), but perhaps the following is helpful to some degree:

If Jiri has used the same Switch, Combination and CombinationElement codes in the v1 and v2 organ definitions for the stop, coupler and tremulant switches and combinations then you might be able to use Hauptwerk v4's 'Registration | Import combination set ...' function to import your v1 combination sets (files) into v2. Jiri will presumably be able to confirm whether that's the case.

5) How could I preserve the existing V1 Wet with all its settings in case it were necessary to revert?

If Jiri has used different OrganIDs for the v2 organ definitions, compared to v1, then the v2 settings would be independent of those from v1, i.e. would not be lost by installing the v2 sample set. (Again that's probably a question for Jiri.)

You could always use Hauptwerk's native backup mechanism ('File | Backup ...') to back up all of your Hauptwerk settings and combination files before installing the v2 set. Then you could get them all back (as a whole) later if desired.
Best regards, Martin.

gerrit

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 1:11 pm

mdyde wrote:If Jiri has used different OrganIDs for the v2 organ definitions, compared to v1, then the v2 settings would be independent of those from v1, i.e. would not be lost by installing the v2 sample set. (Again that's probably a question for Jiri.)

From what I saw when I installed version 2, the package ID's are the same as in version 1, so installing version 2 will overwrite version 1.
Gerrit Veldman

Free sheet music available at my website.

gerrit

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Gedakt wrote:1) Has anyone actually done this and is using only the V2 Surround L & R channels?
2) Are there any major benefits that would justify such an upgrade, bearing in mind the cost and all the associated work necessary to revoice and replace the lost registrations and other settings?
3) Is there a downside in this upgrade, apart from losing all previous settings? For instance, are the reverberation characteristics of the V2 Surround L & R channels identical or similar to those of V1 Wet?
4) Is there any other way around this problem?

Max

1) I have done this.
2) The major benefit is that the releases are much improved in version 2.
3) No, there is no downside that I can think of. And yes, the reverberation is the same, because the front channels of V2 Surround are the same recordings as the V1 Wet.
4) and 5) I think Martin answered these.
Gerrit Veldman

Free sheet music available at my website.

zurek

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 1:43 pm

mdyde wrote:If Jiri has used the same Switch, Combination and CombinationElement codes in the v1 and v2 organ definitions for the stop, coupler and tremulant switches and combinations then you might be able to use Hauptwerk v4's 'Registration | Import combination set ...' function to import your v1 combination sets (files) into v2.

Yes, all the switches should be the same, not only through the v.1 and v.2 versions, but also from the wet to surround, since the same template was used to create these ODFs. This could eventually allow importing settings from v.1 Wet into v.2 Surround! Unfortunately, I am not able to do this since I have only little knowlegde of Hauptwerk from the user side (since it isn't my product:))). I know how to make the sample sets and the ODFs, but I am not expert on the user settings of Hauptwerk. However, there are magicians among the users who might be able to do this.

mdyde wrote:If Jiri has used different OrganIDs for the v2 organ definitions, compared to v1, then the v2 settings would be independent of those from v1, i.e. would not be lost by installing the v2 sample set. (Again that's probably a question for Jiri.)

The ODF IDs are the same from the v.1 However, the v.1 Wet ID is DIFFERENT from the v.1 (and hence also from v.2) Surround. So, the Wet. v.1 settings should not be touched by the Surround v.2. Hence the chance for the cross-import from the Wet v.1 into Surround v.2.
So, I would first back up everything, then I would not uninstall v.1 to keep the settings untouched, then do the upgrade, then do the import from Wet v.1 into Surround v.2 (if it is possible) and see the result. Only then I would uninstall the Wet v.1 ODF.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

Morse

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Hello Max,

A simple way to find out if your wet configurations transfer to v2 would be to send one of your combination files to someone who has v2 installed and see if they transfer OK. I could do that if you like.

If your registrations do not transfer, the next best thing would be to make a printout of all your wet registrations. The printout would greatly facilitate the process of entering them into v2.
Al Morse

mdyde

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Hello Jiri/Max,

Hauptwerk has functionality to import compatible combination sets from one OrganID to another, but not to import settings/voicing from one OrganID to another.

Hence from Jiri's description you should be able to import your combinations, but you wouldn't be able to transfer your settings/voicing, so you'd need to re-do those manually with the v2 version.
Best regards, Martin.

Grant_Youngman

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 4:28 pm

zurek wrote:The installation media are arriving to the customers and there were some problems detected by several users. Here, the observations:

- two users so far reported errorneous disks (one of the five, each time different). If the DVD is damaged, the sample set cannot be installed successfully. In that case, please ask for the replacement (new media or download).

I had a similar problem, caused apparently by the disk container being crushed in the post, and damaging Disk 1. Wasn't a deep scratch, but deep enough of a scuff to cause the disk not to read. I purchased packets of a surface polishing compound designed for CD/DVDs from the local Best Buy, buffed the scratches, cleaned the disk, and it loaded just fine.
Grant

Gedakt

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 10:08 pm

I am overwhelmed by all the help! Thanks to Martin, Al, Gerrit & Jiri I can now proceed confidently and upgrade to Caen V2 Surround.

This is certainly a top, professional forum - Martin your quick and helpful responses are very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Max

MPiercey

PostThu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Has anyone else come across a problem with right-clicking on a stop, and the voicing option is not there? I have just installed the new Caen (after un-installing the old version) and while some of the stops have the HW voicing option at the bottom of the pop-up window after right-clicking, almost a half of them don't have this option. This problem occurs on all manuals as well as pedals. At first I thought it might be because I downloaded the files, but all of them extracted fine – no errors. I have again un-installed everything, and then re-installed, but I still have the same problem, and with the same stops.

One other interesting item, when I first loaded the Caen V2, a window popped-up and told me something to the effect that the Caen was not fully compatable with HW4. I do not remember getting this message when I first loadad HW4 and installed all my older (HW3) organs.

I have also checked St. Annes, but all the stops there have the voicing option after right-clicking on a stop.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on here? I have email Jiri, but don't have an answer yet. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel Piercey

zurek

PostFri Aug 12, 2011 2:30 am

MPiercey wrote:One other interesting item, when I first loaded the Caen V2, a window popped-up and told me something to the effect that the Caen was not fully compatable with HW4. I do not remember getting this message when I first loadad HW4 and installed all my older (HW3) organs

Indeed, I am only gradually and slowly adding the HW4 user features to the ODFs, so Hauptwerk is probably right giving this warning. Therefore, the problem with missing voicing option on the right click may also be connected with this. To say the very truth, I have neglected this HW4 feature for now. There are more important preferences for me at the moment. But eventually, I will add the HW4 features into the sample sets. This will affect only the tiny file of the ODF, so free download from web pages will eventually be available.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments