Search:
Submit Search

Hereford sample sets/installed

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...

Hereford sample sets/installed

Postby dralanrobinson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 am

Dear all,

I am impressed with the service both from DB and MDA. From order to download info and dongle update in 2 hours.
Download via Filezilla overnight. Installed at 8 pm this am. Seamless,fabulous :D The swell volumes are fine in home environment with 8 chann stereo. Lots to explore and learn. Got to squeeze 4 mans into three. Time to explore floating divs. Any advice ?

Alan
dralanrobinson

Re: Hereford sample sets/installed

Postby Keys61 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Got to squeeze 4 mans into three. Time to explore floating divs. Any advice ?

I too am enjoying the Hereford, and am using it on 3 manuals. With all the couplers that are available, I find no need to put the Solo as a floating or fixed division on any keyboard, for myself.

I am loving the velvety string celestes on the organ, and the sampled trems on some of the solo instruments add so much to the lifelike character of this sample set.

Several months ago when I noticed this organ didn't have a Vox Humana (one of the stops I really miss on the Haverhill) and then the shorten compass of the manuals and pipework I had decided against purchase. The shortened compass really comes into play when using the super couplers. That is one thing I love about E. M. Skinner organs.... many of his Swell divisions have hidden octaves at the top, that can only be accessed through the couplers. When David announced he is going to extend the compass up the additional 3 notes to "c" I decided to go ahead and make the purchase. I'm so far glad I did... what a beautifully crafted organ and sample set.

The added feature of taking the Great Trumpet, and making it available on the Solo, with separate voicing controls adds to the versatility of this well thought out sample set. Some things will take getting use to, especially how the couplers act, with some "coupling through" and others not..... maybe in one of the updates a switch could be added to the control page which would "turn off" the coupling through, if the user so wanted. (Many USA organist including myself, who don't get off our own continent very often, are not used to couplers working in this manner.... But maybe that's part of the fun of getting to know organs from around the world!)

Looking forward to the "glockenspiel" on the complete set, but in the present.... much to explore and enjoy. David thanks for bringing this organ to Hauptwerk!

Steve Schlesing
Steve Schlesing
Keys61

Postby MikeDC » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Steve,

The Salisbury couplers do this too, although in a more consistent fashion. If it really throws you, you could elect to use the standard couplers built in to Hauptwerk instead.

Michael
MikeDC

Postby Keys61 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:37 pm

by Keys61 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:33 pm

MikeDC wrote:The Salisbury couplers do this too, although in a more consistent fashion. If it really throws you, you could elect to use the standard couplers built in to Hauptwerk instead.
l

I'm getting used to these "English" style couplers, although I do make use of the master couplers with other organs from time to time, I especially like what can be achieved with the "melody couplers."

I'm enjoying getting to know the Hereford 46, and have posted a quasi improv based on a Scottish Folk Melody. I call it Midnight Musings on "The Summon." I was able to make use of the sampled trems on the Solo Strings, Cor Anglais, and orchestral oboe. You will also hear the choir trumpet, the great, choir and solo 8' flutes, and the Solo Tromba with the "enhanced" Great Trumpet found on the solo.(David made it available as a separate rank with it's own voicing and volume control on his settings page). I work up to full organ and back down again to a whisper. The organ as presented by Lavender Audio has an impressive dynamic range. This selection leans toward the romantic/dramatic style.

Midnight Musings on "The Summons"
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/5653
Steve Schlesing
Keys61

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 pm

It's getting hard to decide which of several threads to talk about the Hereford sample sets in! Anyway, as I have mentioned a couple of times, I'm really enjoying this on.

I have noticed an oddity in the console (it's the same in the 23 and the 46), that the upper toe piston on the left is labelled "Ped 0" the same as the one on the right; but the one on the left actually acts as Sw 0. Is this a mistake in the image, or is the organ actually labelled like that?

Paul
pwhodges

Postby oranistmaster » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:14 am

I think Paul is right, I agree that it should be Sw 0.

Iain
oranistmaster

Postby David Butcher » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:15 pm

pwhodges wrote:It's getting hard to decide which of several threads to talk about the Hereford sample sets in! Anyway, as I have mentioned a couple of times, I'm really enjoying this on.

I have noticed an oddity in the console (it's the same in the 23 and the 46), that the upper toe piston on the left is labelled "Ped 0" the same as the one on the right; but the one on the left actually acts as Sw 0. Is this a mistake in the image, or is the organ actually labelled like that?

Paul

Hello Paul and Iain,

I used a small degree of licence on the Pedal pistons - they are very slightly different on the real instrument and a toe piston cancel for the left hand set of pedal pistons doesn't actually exist. I decided to add it for reasons of organist convenience ! However, I do agree that the labelling is wrong and it should be labelled SW 0.
Incidentally, it's also been pointed out to me that the order of the Swell and Solo indicators on page 2 is opposite to that of the Swell and Solo pedals on page 1.

I will correct both of these minor errors in the near future with a downloadable update.
David Butcher

Return to Hauptwerk instruments