Search:
Submit Search

Best british organ set supplier.

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...

Best british organ set supplier.

Postby adamsun » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm just wondering which supplier produces the best british organ sets in terms of sound and graphics, authenticity, support, prices etc.
Your comments would be appreciated.
Adam
adamsun

Re: Best british organ set supplier.

Postby ajt » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Best is very subjective.

There are 3 really good sets of large British organs, and a few smaller ones. Lavender Audio's Haverhill and Hereford, and MDA's Salisbury Volume I.

If you're after the classic English sound then either Hereford or Salisbury will do you very well. Hereford 46 is a bit more complete than Salisbury vol I, but neither sampleset is of the entire organ (yet). I've played both organs for real, and they're both very good samplesets, though recorded from different viewpoints; Salisbury is more from the perspective of the listener, having been sampled from between the choir stalls, whereas I get the impression that Hereford is more like it sounds at the console.

Haverhill is a very good and reasonably priced set, but it's a Binns organ, with little acoustic, rather than a cathedral Willis. It's more butch than the immaculately blended and sweet Willis organs. I've used it for 2 church installations and at home. If Hereford 46 had been released by the time I ordered those 3, then I would have ordered Hereford, I'm pretty sure.

At the moment, I would say that Hereford offers the best value for money and the most "English" (if by English you mean Willis) sound. Let's see what Brett's pricing for Salisbury vol II brings.
Adrian
ajt

Postby adamsun » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:10 pm

If you were in the happy position of commissioning one of these firms to produce organ sets which would you be likely to choose?
As you say there are differences in where the sounds are sampled from etc.
I wonder if there is some standard practise which can be applied to all sampled organs in the future.
adamsun

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:02 pm

adamsun wrote:I wonder if there is some standard practise which can be applied to all sampled organs in the future.

Not the faintest chance - it would be disastrous to try.

The recording of an organ will depend on features of the organ itself - for instance, some organs are built as a unit, and some are rather spread out - and on the acoustic of the building - which may be large or small, nice or so-so - and not least on the taste of the producer - an organ may be recorded from the perspective of the player, say, or a typical listener (leaving aside those organs that are recorded dry, which is a less variable situation). Variation in these matters encourages competition, and creates a market supplying users with differing preferences. So - long live diversity.

Paul
pwhodges

Postby ajt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:40 am

ajt wrote:At the moment, I would say that Hereford offers the best value for money and the most "English" (if by English you mean Willis) sound. Let's see what Brett's pricing for Salisbury vol II brings.

Having re-read the above, it seems as if I'm saying that Hereford sounds more "English" than MDA's Salisbury. That's not the case. Both sets capture their respective instruments very well indeed and both real instruments are very fine Willis organs. I personally prefer the real Salisbury as an instrument, but feel that Lavender's Hereford is better value for money, when you consider that for £300 you get 46 stops across 4 manuals, whereas with MDA's Salisbury you get 28 stops for more money.
Adrian
ajt

Postby PeterD » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:24 am

Hi Adam

You might consider the Silver Octopus series which , like Haverhill, with a rather shorter acoustic are perhaps a better "playing" experience. ( You can always add a little reverb for "performance")
They're about to release the 70 stop instrument which is a complete four manual cathedral specification, and at £325 is very worthwhile. I use the 40 for practice and it serves very well indeed, and all of them have that quintessentially "English" sound which you may be seeking.

http://silveroctopus.co.uk/prod02.htm

Best

Peter
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.
PeterD

Postby adamsun » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:41 am

We are looking at the possibility of creating a national sound archive of English (British) organs since so many are presently being lost to the nation.
We are looking for the most suitable way to accomplish this process.
The project will include a collection of real pipe organs in a large redundant church on the south coast and also a small
redundant church in Leicester with an instrument cable of playing the sample sets.
A purpose built facility alongside this church will eventually be constructed.

Would you be interested in playing a selection of organs in a large building and acoustic?
This has only recently become achievable and while the original acoustics can be reproduced at home
the constraints of neighbours can be irksome I imagine when pieces call for a bit of welly!

Thank you for your thoughts so far they are most appreciated.
adamsun

Postby amateurorganist » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:26 am

PeterD wrote:Hi Adam

You might consider the Silver Octopus series which , like Haverhill, with a rather shorter acoustic are perhaps a better "playing" experience. ( You can always add a little reverb for "performance")
They're about to release the 70 stop instrument which is a complete four manual cathedral specification, and at £325 is very worthwhile. I use the 40 for practice and it serves very well indeed, and all of them have that quintessentially "English" sound which you may be seeking.

http://silveroctopus.co.uk/prod02.htm

Best

Peter

I have this set also and it has become my favourite organ to play especially with the CR which gives more options.
amateurorganist

Return to Hauptwerk instruments