It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm

Salisbury Coupling Schemes

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

OrganoPleno

Salisbury Coupling Schemes

PostTue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Hello, I've been enjoying the new Salisbury Volume III Sample Set.

On page 20 of the user manual, there is a discussion of the Coupling Scheme, whereby one division may couple through another to a third division.

The third item listed says to use "Choir to Great" and "Great to Pedal" to allow Choir to play through the Great to the Pedal, 8' only. *** On my installation, this does not work. ***

On page 21, the third item should probably read, "Solo to Swell" and "Swell to Pedal" allows Solo to play through the Swell to the Pedal, 8' only. This works. I don't know why the line begins with the words "Solo Octave", and cannot see any connection of the Solo Octave coupler to the rest of this scheme.

The next-to-last item says "Great Reeds on Choir", and "Choir to Pedal" allows the Great Reeds to sound on the Pedal, 8' only. There could also be a mention of "Great Reeds on Solo" and "Solo to Pedal" which likewise allows the Great Reeds to sound on the Pedal. 8' only. Both versions do work correctly.

The second item on p.21, ("Swell to Great, 8' or 4') appears redundant, because the sixth item (correctly) shows the same link (Swell --> Great --> Solo --> Pedal) working for 8', 4', and 16' as well.

In fact, there are so many ways the manuals can couple through one another, it is actually simpler to just note those cases where they do not:
Solo --> Swell --> does not couple through to Choir or Great.
Solo --> Choir --> does not couple through to Great.
Swell --> Choir --> does not couple through to Great.
Great --> Solo --> does not couple through to Swell or Choir.

Hoping this is helpful.

CarsonCooman

Re: Salisbury Coupling Schemes

PostTue Dec 27, 2011 7:07 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:In fact, there are so many ways the manuals can couple through one another, it is actually simpler to just note those cases where they do not:

This may be intentional behavior in the organ definition as on a number of real Father Willis instruments, which divisions "couple through" and how is not always consistent.

OrganoPleno

PostTue Dec 27, 2011 8:57 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:Hello, I've been enjoying the new Salisbury Volume III Sample Set.
On page 20 of the user manual... the third item listed says to use "Choir to Great" and "Great to Pedal" to allow Choir to play through the Great to the Pedal, 8' only. *** On my installation, this does not work. ***

I just installed the Salisbury Volume II for testing. Once again, the couplers "Choir to Great" and "Great to Pedal" do NOT allow Choir to play through the Great to the Pedal.

On Volume I, of course, this feature cannot be tested, as the Choir has no functioning stops.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks for the information. It does sound like an error in the organ file. Since the user guide mentions it should occur then it should be able to do so. As you stated, since volume 1 contained no Choir stops it was probably just overlooked at the time since there wasn't an easy way to test it then.

I'm currently away for the week in NY, so can't easily check the organ definition settings, but I'll add it to the list of things to look at for our first instrument patch for volumes 2 and 3.

We appreciate the information.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

OrganoPleno

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 9:41 pm

B. Milan wrote:Since the user guide mentions it should occur then it should be able to do so.... I'll add it to the list of things to look at for our first instrument patch for volumes 2 and 3.

Thanks! On a related note, you mentioned a possible update that would let the Couplers operate as draw-knobs instead of rocker tabs. Having become quite comfortable with the existing arrangement, perhaps the change could be implemented as a user option, keeping both possibilities open?

I would like to join so many others in expressing my appreciation for this truly marvelous sample set. The sounds are so beautiful, and it is so much fun to play, and gives such encouragement to improve our playing skills. We just spent the afternoon with the new MIDI files from Daniel Cook, savoring all those registration possibilities which are now made clear.

Thanks again!

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Hello OrganoPleno,

Thanks! On a related note, you mentioned a possible update that would let the Couplers operate as draw-knobs instead of rocker tabs. Having become quite comfortable with the existing arrangement, perhaps the change could be implemented as a user option, keeping both possibilities open?

Not a problem!

We would be adding additional console displays for these new couplers, not replacing the current pages, so the choice of both would be available. The plan would be to have only the stop knobs and coupler knobs on a new display (similar to the portrait views) but in a landscape layout. The idea behind this is to leave off the pistons and other levers to maximize stop sizes for easier access and for cleaner looking stop jambs like you would find on the real organ. The pistons and other controls would remain on the current landscape displays as is.

I would like to join so many others in expressing my appreciation for this truly marvelous sample set. The sounds are so beautiful, and it is so much fun to play, and gives such encouragement to improve our playing skills. We just spent the afternoon with the new MIDI files from Daniel Cook, savoring all those registration possibilities which are now made clear.

You're most certainly welcome, thank you very much! Glad to hear you are enjoying the instrument.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Return to Hauptwerk instruments