It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

Subwoofer for Sale

Hauptwerk and sample sets *not* permitted. Audio and MIDI hardware for use with Hauptwerk, organ consoles, parts, computer equipment.
  • Author

MikeDC

Subwoofer for Sale

PostWed May 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Definitive Technology SuperCube III

Excellent condition. Price $225 plus shipping and PayPal fee.

The following is taken from the Def Tech website:

Description
The SuperCube III subwoofer is capable for handling 650-watt peak power that ensures an efficient musical burst. With a frequency response of 16Hz - 200Hz, this Definitive 5-way subwoofer plays various tones with stunning clarity. This Definitive subwoofer has a sensitivity of 88dB that can produce a booming volume loud enough to be heard from far away. With an Impedance of 8ohms, this Definitive 5-way subwoofer offers high level resistance and increases bass and mid-output. You can mount this Definitive subwoofer on the bookshelf or place it on any corner of your house. The SuperCube III subwoofer has an impedance of 8-ohms, which conducts power evenly to keep the subwoofer at a suitable level.

Product Identifiers
Brand Definitive Technology
Model SuperCube III
MPN Super Cube III
UPC 093207017551

Key Features
Speaker Type Powered Subwoofer
Mounting Bookshelf, Floorstanding
Construction 1-Way

Technical Details
Peak Power Handling 650 W
Frequency Responses 16 Hz - 200 Hz
Impedance 8 ohm
Sensitivity 88 dB
Connectivity Wired

Design
Available Colors Black

Dimension
Width 10.25 in.
Depth 10.25 in.
Height 10.1 in.
Weight 28 lb

TomBentley

Re: Subwoofer for Sale

PostThu May 28, 2015 6:18 am

Hello again Mike. How does the SC III do with the 32's for you? My only concern is how to run wired speakers from it to handle the higher frequencies since there is only red&white in. It seems everyone runs a sub which also run a set of speakers and then uses the sub's crossover to blend but not sure how to do that wiring wise. (for example AO 7 and 8 from interface to red and white in on SC III then speaker wire from sub speaker out terminal to JBL floor speakers and adjust the crossover) but how to the JBL's get amplification is what I guess I'm confused about.

I would be very very interested in this sub if I could somehow grasp how to hook it up and get your feelings on the 32's with the SC III. Thanks -

Tom

MikeDC

PostThu May 28, 2015 9:46 am

Hi Tom,

There are 3 different ways to connect this sub:

1. Connect the Sub via low-level inputs from your soundcard and leave the main speakers connected directly to the amp. Use the Variable Low Pass Crossover to determine the frequency at which low frequencies go to the sub.
2. Connect the sub via the high-level inputs (from your amplifier) and leave the main speakers connected directly to the amp. Use the Variable Low Pass Crossover to determine the frequency at which low frequencies go to the sub.
3. Connect the sub via the high-level inputs (from your amplifier) and connect the main speakers to the high-level outputs on the sub. Use the Variable Low Pass Crossover to determine the frequency at which low frequencies go to the sub. There is a crossover or roll-off of the low frequencies going to the main speakers starting at 80hz. (I think this is what you were describing with your JBLs, but I would not do this because then you are not making of the full frequency range on those speakers.)

What one might do for a home theater setup is likely to be different than what we are doing in HW. I recommend the first option. You connect the sub as if it were a regular stereo pair using two outputs from your audio interface and route ranks to it (or split ranks, etc.). You can also just send a mix-down from whatever you're sending to the speakers handling pedal ranks to the sub. Lots of options really.

If you're short on audio outputs on your audio interface, you can send a mono signal to the sub and use a single output from the audio interface.

It's a small sub which is why I liked it. It is rated by DefTech to go down to 16Hz. Your mileage may vary. If you place it against a wall, or in a corner, and turn it up, it will rattle the walls. I moved up to a larger sub because I moved the organ from a room 9' x 11' to a room 14' x 22'.

I could advise further if I knew the rest of the components of your audio setup, and the size of your room. There are a lot of audio experts on the forum.

I hope I didn't just add to your confusion.

Mike

TomBentley

PostThu May 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks Mike, I somewhat understand but I think some experimentation will clarify. I would like to go ahead with the purchase. If you can give me an overall total of what you need to cover the transaction let me know and I will send it immediately via my paypal.

Its the crossover thing that I guess confuses me -- if i use the red and white in on the sub from the interface then I am guessing the screw posts out on the sub to the JBL's receive the frequencies that I determine by the crossover (yes/no) or perhaps interface to amp to sub with JBL's still attached to the amp would work well too (yes/no). At any rate, I am sure it is possible and I look forward to closing the deal with you.

Tom
PS set up audio wise is currently 3 stereo pairs (B2031A's), interface outputs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, all as Main, with 7/8 going to Sherwood amp aux in (separate audio output group with pedal ranks only routed to it) with JBL Towers attached to amp screw posts, and red and white amp aux out going to a spliter cable which reduces to 1 RCA into the sub (Sony SWA 2500 -- really not the best sub). The only real difference here would be that the cabling to the sub would then be truly a red and white into the sub and I would certainly assume that the Def Tech would produce a much more stable and deep result than the little Sony.

Room is approximately 12x20ish with an open curved staircase up one side, concrete floor covered with large oriental area rug, hardwood wainscoating half way to ceiling of 8 feet with top half of wall and ceiling being wallboard. No fabric furniture - the organ, wooden table and credenza and a washer/dryer in the opposite end of the room, sliding glass door to the outside, 1 window, 3 rooms attached with doorways (bathroom and 2 bedrooms).

it looks better than it sounds haha.

Tom

MikeDC

PostThu May 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Tom,

I've sent you a PM.

Does your audio interface have any more outputs available? Or are there only 8? Also, what is the model of the Sherwood amp?

Based on what you're saying and assuming you are out of outputs on the audio interface, then I would go from the amplifier's AUX OUT L and R to the sub's line inputs L and R using RCA-ended patch cables. Essentially same as what you're doing now, just eliminate the splitter. You will still be able to use the variable low pass filter on the sub. You adjust it to the frequency at which you want everything BELOW to go to the sub. Your JBL towers (still connected directly to the amp) will not be filtered. This is basically how my set up is configured (although all my speakers are self powered, i.e., this is no individual amp.).

Mike

TomBentley

PostThu May 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Hey Mike. Its a Sherwood RX-4109 Receiver. As your last post indicated that's what I saw as the most viable hookup. My interface is a Gigaport HD (8 analog outputs) but there is a quarter inch output on the front (2 actually) one is channels 1/2 only and the other is all channels (basically a mixdown of all channels). Only problem with using the all channels 1/4 inch output on the giga to the sub is that I can't route specifically to that output -- it is just a mixdown of everything. In essence I was hopeful that I could end up with giga's 1-8 as mains so the algo's would go between 4 versus 3 stereo pairs but it looks like I'll have to have 3 stereo pairs as mains and 1 stereo pair + sub as pedal ranks and other ranks that I want to split down to that group. That's sort of why I was looking at your Behringer interface in the past ... to increase channels so I could have 4 stereo pairs plus two left over for sub.

By the way -- I have not received a PM from you and the board still reads 0 messages so if that is where you are sending the dollar amount to finalize you might want to try using my direct email -- TJBentley3815@gmail.com.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Tom

Return to For sale / wanted (classified ads for private individuals)