It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:23 am

Complete Organ w/Artisan Control System

Hauptwerk and sample sets *not* permitted. Audio and MIDI hardware for use with Hauptwerk, organ consoles, parts, computer equipment.
  • Author

CornetdesBombardes

Complete Organ w/Artisan Control System

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 1:35 pm

With the greatest of reluctance, I am offering my organ for sale. I am moving into smaller quarters and simply can no longer keep it. I have also found that, having built it, I am incapable of learning to play it competently. I have lots of pictures, but don't know how to attach to a listing. Contact me and I will send.

Briefly, it is includes a solid walnut console, lovingly constructed over several years. Its design overcomes several problems of typical consoles: it will fit through a standard 36” door frame, it is movable, yet doesn’t have to be on a platform because it has retractable casters, it is mechanically stable, despite the shallow console depth, and all voicing and mixing controls and adjustments are accessible from the front. The console includes three c. 1910 wooden keyboards in excellent condition that have been refitted with Syndyne gold crossbar wiping contacts, Syndyne lighted drawknobs, rocker switches, and pistons (some lit), Syndyne toe pistons, a Klann pedalboard with reed-switch keying, and Klann swell shoes.

The console is completely MIDI-ized using the Artisan MicroMidi control system. Software features include a full capture combination action (with 10 general pistons, 6 divisional pistons for the 3 manual divisions, and 5 divisional pistons for the Pedal division), unison inter-manual coupling, crescendo/sforzando, a MIDI input port for external control of the organ (and software changes), a MIDI output port for performance recording, full control over alternate stop selection, Bass and Solo functions for the Great manual, either enclosed or unenclosed Great and Pedal, and transposition. One display screen shows memory, swell shoe, and transposition, while the other is used for programming alterable stops. The brightness of display screens and lighted controls are independently adjustable. A custom circuit converts the Artisan alternate action stop control to a normal, unambiguous pull-on/push-off mode for the drawknobs (and equivalent for the rocker switches). There are a couple of minor software glitches I have not had the time to solve and I have never found a source for quality modular telephone cables for interconnection, but otherwise it works as advertised.
Fixed stop sound generation is provided by a set of four Ahlborn-Galanti 20-stop modules that have been dealer-modified to change many stops per my specification and to separate the audio channels, while the seven alterable stops are provided by a Rodgers MX-200 module. If you are interested, I will send the organs 86-stop tonal specification.

Audio is internally separated into five stereo channels, one for each division and one for the reverb output, plus a single sub-woofer channel. The organ can be configured for anything from a single stereo output plus subwoofer, to separate outputs for each division (with the reverb added to several) plus the single sub-woofer channel. No internal cable changing is required for this reconfiguration as the mixers are in place for all options. The electronic crossover for the subwoofer and the reverb unit are also internal. Two Rodgers S-200 amplifiers are provided internally while line-level outputs are provided for external amplifiers for the other divisions, when required. The woofer is self-powered. A stereo line-level output is provided for audio recording, and an adjustable-level headphone output is provided on the right sidejamb, along with a speaker on-off switch.

The organ includes an SVS powered sub-woofer, two Rodgers FL-3 speakers, and two KLH Rave-12 speakers.

The entire organ is immaculately documented, with a user manual and additional manuals for software, service and voicing (I have written three technical books in my career and believe in good documentation).
It comes with spares for most components, including the custom voicing chips in the Alborn units.
I’d be happy to send more technical details to any interested party.

I understand that most members of this group may be interested in only the MIDI-ized console, and so am interested in whatever proposals anyone wants to make.

As you might expect, it is heavy, and any buyer must pick it up in Morgan Hill, California.
Time is somewhat of the essence here. I am leaving in March for Washington State and, while the organ will remain in the Morgan Hill house for a while, I would need to come back to explain the organ and put together all its various accessories and documentation. Thus, it would be much more convenient if the organ could be removed before the end of February. The organ is in a heated room, but is not connected.
Feel free to contact me
Dave Large; Dbiguy@aol.com; 408-710-8041

sjketterer

Re: Complete Organ w/Artisan Control System

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Could you send me the photos you have please? I am potentially interested in your setup. Also, let me know what amount you have in mind for selling.
Steve

CornetdesBombardes

Re: Complete Organ w/Artisan Control System

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 11:06 pm

I'd be happy to send photos to anyone interested but haven't figured out how to do that on the forum. Send me an email to Dbiguy@aol.com and I will reply with JPG photos attached.

Dave

Return to For sale / wanted (classified ads for private individuals)