It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 pm

Novation Launchpad questions

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

timhowarduk

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 10:18 am

Hi all
I'm thinking of getting one of these beasts. Can someone let me know:
1) Does latest HW version support these fully? (forum search results talk about engineering builds)
2) Do they just connect via USB and show up as MIDI devices once suitable drivers are installed or do you need to use the AutoMap software that is spoken of on the Novation website?
3) Are those who use them liking them and finding them reliable?
4) Any suggestions for mounting them?

Many thanks for the help/advice

Tim

IanPounder

Re: Novation Launchpad questions

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 11:03 am

1. Yes, it does
2. Just USB. You control the on/off/colours as part of the auto-detect system in Hauptwerk
3. Very reliable. You do have to get used to pressing through an overlay, if that's how you choose to name the stops. They'll also do pistons, of course.
4. I used a mounting bracket for a lightweight TV by removing the back cover (4 screws), drilling four holes and using nuts and bolts. Probably no warranty as a result, but I haven't heard of any going wrong with these units. Anyway, less likelihood of damage than if the unit can move / slide etc.

timhowarduk

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 11:33 am

Thank you very much, very helpful
Tim

engrssc

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 9:47 am

It is misleading to refer to H/W as "Latest version 4.1" as many errors have been found by this mistaken reference. As Martin and Brett have repeated many times of late, the correct (to use) version is (v4.1.1.012). That one is the most recent software to use as many of these problems being written up esp regarding LaunchPads have already been solved with (v4.1.1.012).

Rgds,
Ed

timhowarduk

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification. All I meant was "is support in mainstream releases yet" and I got my answer. But it's a good point you make.

Andrew Grahame

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi Tim,

In answer to your questions ...

(a) Yes.

(b) Automap isn't needed. First the computer finds the launchpad when it is first connected and automatically installs a driver. Then when Hauptwerk runs it discovers the launchpad which then appears in the list of MIDI devices. You need to select the launchpad for both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT - the latter needed to display colours.

(c) Yes, very much so. I like their tactile nature which makes them easier for me to use than touchscreens. Also, I like the fact that I can design my own stop layouts for each instrument.

(d) I use Atdec mounting hardware.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11506

Andrew

timhowarduk

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. That has the be the easiest add-on I have ever made to my setup. Plug in USB, set midi ports; play. Work were throwing out boxes of OHP transparencies, I had some velcro in stock, so now I have a temporary overlay with stuff scribbled on with a permanent marker which will last until I feel like typing out a nice overlay.

I'm very impressed with the launchpad - anyone wavering about getting one I would urge to just do it!

kruimel

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 11:37 am

Hi Tim perhaps a bit late, but you should definitely use one of the latest types, either the small one, which is very handy, or the big one, named 'Launchpad S.

The older ones, which I also use, do not have a dedicated driver. THis leads to very annoying situations, where after startup, Windows can have named them differently, and HW cannot find them anymore, or has them reversed.......

I use them already a couple of yeras, from the moment that there was a temporary release made for HW4. So I have the experience. The problem is, that with these occasions, yoy have to assign every button again.....!!

Now with the newer units, with the driver, you can do certain more things, f.i. changed the overall brightness, but, more inortantly, now you can assign a number between 1 and 16 for every unit, and from now on, Windows reacts rocksteady...

About the usefullness; It is far better then tipping on a glass plate! For most stops I use the lower/brighter settings, ( no full on off), and I have color codes for stop types. This , together with a proper labeling, which I made on the basis of the biggest stoplist I would use, comes in very handy.

With smaller organs, the missing stops simply do not light up in the background ( dimmed). So I do not need to change labeling.

kaspencer

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello Tim ...

... to help you get going with your Launchpad(s), have a look at http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13329, where you can get a free copy of my overlays for the St. Anne's organ - in single and dual launchpad versions.

All the best

Ken
Kenneth Spencer
Music Site: http://www.my-music.mywire.org
Project Page: http://www.my-music.mywire.org/opus_ii.htm
Books on Hauptwerk and Computing; Novation Launchpad overlays: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/kaspencer
YouTube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/kaspenceruk

willem orlando

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Am planning to purchase a Novation launchpad mini mk3.
But I have a questions about that:
does this appliance work with Hauptwerk 4.2?

Mainly wants to use it for the sample set from Zwolle, because not all stops on the Opus 30 can be assigned to the toggle switches present.
The remaining registers are programmed on the 10 last keys of the fifth octave, but these are not included in the setzer combinations of the Opus 30, which is why the Novation launchpad mini mk3 might offer a solution.

Or if someone else has a different solution or idea, always welcome.

Willem.
translated with Google

mdyde

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Hello Willem,

I don't know off-hand whether the Launchpad Mini Mk3 is compatible with Hauptwerk v4, but in case it helps, here are some recent topics on which Launchpad models are compatible with Hauptwerk v5:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18725#p141080
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18781
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18829
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

c.oomen

PostSat Sep 05, 2020 2:24 pm

Dear all,

A little while ago I purchased a Novation Launchpad Mini Mk3, as a supplement to the midi controls on my organ. The Mk3 seems to be the current Launchpad, although Mk2 is also still available. I chose the Mini Mk3 because of the limited number of colours on the Mini Mk2. I need contrasting colours.

My experience in general: the pads work, but the coloured lights show only two colours.

Controlling the stops through the Launchpad and the touchscreen gives a dim red light for “on” on the Launchpad, and no light for “off”; whatever colour or brightness I assign through Hauptwerk. Working the same stops through a Midi-control (drawknob) on my console results in a bright green light for “on”, no light for “off”.

I’ve tried this in both Live-User Mode and Programmer Mode. Always with the same result (function works OK, lights not). On Startup, all pads on the Launchpad show all their colours in a kind of disco light show.

So I think that the Launchpad Mini Mk3 is not compatible with Hauptwerk where the lights are concerned. The assigned functions work fine: loading organs, stepper, stops etc. Is there something I’ve overlooked?

The upper right pad often blinks dim red. I don’t know what this means yet. Also when I’ve assigned a function to that button.

Kind regards,

Clemens Oomen

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI