It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

Recording tones from Organ expansion Rodgers MX-200

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

mmoedern

Recording tones from Organ expansion Rodgers MX-200

PostSat Nov 06, 2004 3:24 pm

Hi, I am using a Johannus 2 Manual organ and recently bought a MX200 from Rodgers (organ expansion). The problem is that my organ only uses 3 midi channels -> i can only use a max. of 3 stops from the mx200 for my organ.
I want to record the 78 stops from the mx200 to hauptwerk. (for one organ it is tooo big but i will split it.
does anyone have at tool for recording organ stops from a digital, per midi controlled organ? my idea is to connect a pc to the organ/or the mx200 -> then send a midi comman to play each tone and do the recording of the samples parallel via the soundcard (analog). but i do not have the software for this.
this method can save a lot of time because each stops records "itself" automatically and the samples are very very good.
any comments / ideas?
mmoedern

chorn

PostThu Nov 11, 2004 5:22 pm

When you do the recording, are you aiming to get (for each stop):

(a) just an audio file containing a 5-octave long-note chromatic scale with brief silences between notes, ready for you to cut up into individual notes? or

(b) 61 automatically-generated audio files containing single notes (with no extra work by you)?

Doing '(a)' shouldn't be too hard: you'd need software that would play the chromatic scales over MIDI and software that would record the audio; it could be a single program such as a sequencer that deals with both MIDI and audio, or it could be two separate programs. If you don't want to use a commercial sequencer (like Cubase), I expect you could find free software or low-cost shareware that would get you as far as making the recordings, and possibly free or low-cost software that would let you cut the individual notes out of the file.

As for doing '(b)', I wonder whether you could get the notes cut out automatically by one of those programs that do "beat slicing". I've never used one, but - as I understand it - they're able to examine an audio recording of a drum track and automatically find the starts and ends of each drum beat, and hence cut the drum track into pieces, each containing an individal drum hit. I wonder if you could use that kind of software to cut the individual notes out of the chromatic-scale recordings automatically - you'd still have to save the individual files manually.

Alternatively - "where there's a will there's a way" - I daresay that somewhere there is audio-manipulation software with a built-in programming language that would enable someone to write a program to do the whole job - just find the software and pay the programmer!

When you've got the 78 x 61 single-note sound-files, are you intending to loop them, or do you intend to make the samples long enough that you'll hardly ever reach the ends?

cdatzko

PostFri Nov 12, 2004 3:48 am

chorn wrote:When you've got the 78 x 61 single-note sound-files, are you intending to loop them, or do you intend to make the samples long enough that you'll hardly ever reach the ends?

For Hauptwerk you'll need to loop them and make release markers, because otherwise you could only load them as percussive stops and those won't stop playing until they're over.

Christian.

jocr

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 10:50 am

See the relevant discussion here:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/view ... =2050#2050

Who will ask Roland Corp. if it's okay to "borrow" their samples?

James Pressler
Last edited by jocr on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReinerS

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 11:15 am

Hello,

just a hint on how you can separate the samples into the individual notes:
You can for example use a wave editor software such as Nero wave edit (comes with the nero CD burning software). This wave editor has a track detection function (used to split a recording of an analog disc into its tracks) that can easily detect the pauses between notes (just make them at least one second long to be sure it works) and then save the resutling tracks into individual numbered files.
If you use a sequencer to simply play all the notes of the keyboard and record the result with your soundcard, and then use the splitting as described, the recording part should be quite easy.
But the comes the hard part ... (looping etc)

Greetings
Reiner

engrssc

Re: Recording tones from Organ expansion Rodgers MX-200

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 4:13 pm

I gather no one has done this or they aren't sharing?

OTOH, I would like to be able to call up/select the individual stops contained in the MX 200 for my home instrument.

Rgds,
Ed

ReinerS

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Wow,
reviving a ten year old thread!
This must be a new record!

engrssc

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Could be (a record that is). However when searching for answers, I look everywhere esp since I haven't found an answer. I go back quite a ways with H/W. Still have my copy of H/W 1.0 - what a (positive) difference a few short years make. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 4:55 am

Hello Ed,

I suspect that re-sampling the samples from a sound expander would be in breach of copyright, and I rather doubt Rodgers (Roland) would take kindly to it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 11:48 am

mdyde wrote:I suspect that re-sampling the samples from a sound expander would be in breach of copyright, and I rather doubt Rodgers (Roland) would take kindly to it.

I had/have no desire to re-sample the sound expander, only to control which sounds for it to play. Presently I can use the front panel controls to do it, but that's unhandy to make changes while playing. That recording tone idea was posted originally by mmoedern. So I assume your answer applies and is/was read by mmoedern.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs