It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

Has anyone (ever) created a hand bell sample set for H/W?

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

engrssc

Has anyone (ever) created a hand bell sample set for H/W?

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Sure would be nice. 8) I have chime and carillon, glock and some other percussions, but no hand bell even as often as they are used esp for special events.

Rgds,
Ed

BachsFugue

Re: Has anyone (ever) created a hand bell sample set for H/W

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Ed,

Sounds like a neat idea! It might be interesting to see if all of the various permutations of the bell rings could be incorporated into the set. THEN someone needs to make a Zimbelstern maker from the bell samples. Oh, no, my imagination is running away with me again.

Oh, well, you have a good proposal there, Ed!
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

engrssc

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 8:08 pm

There are 2 versions of sampled hand bells. I noticed that Handbells V2 for Kontakt 3+ is in the RAR format. Since from previous threads we heard that Hauptwerk could not be used to play these (hand bell) samples, the only way would be if such samples were to be included as percussion instruments (chimes, etc) in a sample set. (There is also a version that uses Apple EXS24.)

That may be okay except to play hand bells with organ accompaniment, you would need 2 computers (one running Hauptwerk and one running either Kontakt 3 or Apple EXS24 which is doable. Will have to "play" with this idea some more. Do I have the correct idea here? :o Much overkill not to mention quite expensive to use either of thes systems just to hear hand bells. Any other ifrsd?

http://www.boldersounds.net/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=g9bbb89g2hu13tmdamgb8f6m70&keyword=Hand+bells&x=10&y=13

Handbells articulations

Handbell Clapper — samples are created with the traditional technique of holding it against the shoulder, bell-upwards, and then swinging the bell through an elliptical shape to cause the clapper to strike the casting of the bell.

Suspended Handbell with a soft rubber mallet — samples were recorded with the bells suspended from the ceiling of the room while being struck with a soft rubber mallet.

Suspended Handbell with a hard rubber mallet — samples were recorded with the bells suspended from the ceiling of the room while being struck with a hard rubber mallet.

Suspended Handbell with a plastic chopstick — samples were recorded with the bells suspended from the ceiling of the room while being struck with a plastic chopstick. This creates a great deal of high frequency content.

Singing Handbells — The Singing Handbells sound is created by running a wood dowel along the rim of the handbell, similar to the way you can run a wet finger along the edge of a crystal glass and make it sing.

Plucked Handbells — is accomplished by using the thumb and forefinger to force the clapper head into the casting while the bell is on the table, producing a staccato note.

Malleted Handbells on a padded table — samples are created by striking the bell with a rubber mallet while the bell is resting on the foam of a padded table. This produces a tone brighter and more percussive than the plucked samples.

Handbell Shakes — is accomplished by quickly ringing the bell back and forth so that the clapper strikes both the front and back of the bell casting in rapid succession. This creates a continuous tone, as opposed to normal ringing in which the tone decays rapidly after being rung.

Handbell table hit endings — samples are typically used for the end of a piece of music or at a cadence. Before this sound is heard the bell is already ringing, so you hear just a small portion of the pitch of the bell followed by the percussive hit on the foam table.

Until I started looking into hand bells, I didn't realize all of these possibilities, very impressive.

I think it would be a perfect compliment to some VPO samples we have available to us. We've heard hand bells and organ and it's definitely an impressive musical sound.

Rgds,
Ed

TimR

PostWed May 13, 2015 12:53 pm

I direct a handbell choir, and it would be a huge advantage for me to be able to compose a piece and listen to how it would sound, even if I didn't have access to all the possible sounds. Give me Ring, LV, TD and mart and I'd be happy. Minimum Ring and TD or Ring and mallet.

Ted Williamson

PostWed May 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Handbells are part of Garritan Personal Orchestra 4. I use Bidule Progue to access the handbells and many other awesome sounds alongside the many ranks in the Paramount 450.

Ted Williamson

Jordan312

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 4:42 pm

engrssc wrote:Sure would be nice. 8) I have chime and carillon, glock and some other percussions, but no hand bell even as often as they are used esp for special events.

Rgds,
Ed

The Regal Chorus from Organ Expressions has 3 octaves of rung Handbells for use with Hauptwerk 4.
http://www.organexpressions.com/samples ... chorus.htm

engrssc

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Yes, I noticed. Are they single strike or continuously rung? Perhaps you could demo some more of the sounds. of this sample set.

I built a real Zimblestern for our church, and at first it was rarely used. I'd venture to say it now is used for almost every service (with one or so songs) and if not, several folks have requested it (to be played). As one person said, it adds an "atmosphere". Hmmm

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs