It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 am

MikeDC's Console

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

MikeDC

Re: MikeDC's Console

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Here's a little update. Other than a few tweaks and adjustments, the console is pretty much finished. It's been a long haul.

Imageconsole1

Imageconsole2

Imageconsole2

pat17

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 3:59 am

Hello Mike,

It's a wonderful job, congrats for this nice result! 8)

As for the stops dominos, to which sample set they do correspond to?

MikeDC

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Thank you.

This resides in my apartment condo, so I had to use a design that allowed for a lot of stops in minimal space. I wanted some type of moving stop control because this is the only organ I have access to as I no longer play publicly, i.e., no church jobs, etc.

The console was set up and stops engraved based on the Salisbury Willis sample set. Of course, any sample set can be played on it (I also have the Metz Cavaille-Coll and the EM Skinner sets). I haven't set up any system for temporary labels for other sets, but I have some ideas.

Mike

1961TC4ME

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 12:42 am

Very nice, Mike! I continue to be amazed by the home set-ups I see here, many such as yours that make even many church consoles look pale in comparison. Not only the workmanship, but the creativity we Hauptwerkians are coming up with is quite remarkable!

Marc

Romanos

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 3:36 pm

Well I'm hooked! The fit and finish of it is simply lovely. I particularly love the red undertones under the espresso finish. That's just lovely. Subtle, but most definitely lovely. As for the rest- just great. I'm most happy for you. What type of sound system do you have to compliment the console?

pat17

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 5:44 am

MikeDC wrote:The console was set up and stops engraved based on the Salisbury Willis sample set. Of course, any sample set can be played on it (I also have the Metz Cavaille-Coll and the EM Skinner sets). I haven't set up any system for temporary labels for other sets, but I have some ideas.

Hello Mike, thanks for your answer. It loolks you are very much into the Romantic / Symphonic organ period, for which your console fits lovely to its requirement! 8)

MikeDC

PostFri Mar 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Romanos wrote:Well I'm hooked! The fit and finish of it is simply lovely. I particularly love the red undertones under the espresso finish. That's just lovely. Subtle, but most definitely lovely. As for the rest- just great. I'm most happy for you. What type of sound system do you have to compliment the console?

Thank you for your kind words and for noticing the wood finish. I stained and stripped the base 3 times before I got it right. The jambs have two different color stains on them.

I've never been completely satisfied with the external audio options I've tried, so I primarily use headphones (which gives the best sound anyway). My latest attempt was to try it out on my audio system (it's quite a nice system, tube amp., Harbeth speakers, PSAudio DAC), still not right. The balances go off (for example, Swell vs Great) when I try external audio. A solo stop against strings which sound perfect through headphones, end up not balanced on speakers. I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Right now I'm just enjoying sitting down at a real console. It's been a looooooooooonnng time!

A special shout out to everyone on this forum including and especially Martin and Brett who have answered so many questions of mine over the years (and they keep coming, I know). There is no forum or group (especially of organists) that I have ever found so helpful and welcoming!!!

Thank you,

Michael

mattnbin

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi Mike,

What a great job you have done!!

I completely agree with your choice of key cheek timber. The very first ones you had did not look anywhere near as elegant as what you went with in the end. The grain and colour is much more subtle and beautiful now, compared to the apparent raw harshness of the first ones.

I am very interested (and I am sure others would be as well) in your moving stop tabs.

I hope you don't mind but here are some questions...
1- What brand of moving tab mechanism did you use and why did you choose that brand?
2- Did the same supplier provide and engrave the tabs?
3- Could you please post close-up pics of the same?
4- What Midi decoder did you chose to drive the moving tabs and LEDs?

Real first class job.
Congratulations x100!!

God bless,
Matt

mattnbin

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi Mike,

I forgot to ask you about the LCD display.

Which brand did you choose?
Where did you get the front bezel for them? Bezels are hard enough to find for one LCD let alone 4 in a row!!!

Thanks,
Matt

MikeDC

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 10:50 am

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the late response, I am just seeing your post now.

Actually my original plan was to use lighted tabs, but i couldn't find any that I liked, except from Laukhuff which cost as much as moving tabs. Since then, ArnoldOrgans has started making exactly what I had in mind -- too late now! Check out their post on this forum. Their tabs are beautiful.

There are two types of SAMs in use. I found some slightly used Peterson SAMs on eBay and those plus some new Peterson tabs are used in the Coupler Rail. The terraces use SAMs from Syndyne. Most are new, except for a handful of used ones (again, found on eBay). I went with Syndyne because they were the least expensive of Syndyne, Peterson, and Kimber-Allen. Just as a note, I could not have mixed Peterson and Syndyne in the same place (e.g., coupler rail) because the angle is slightly different.

The tab faces are made of wood and are custom. They were engraved by HESCO, which does a LOT of engraving for organ builders. They are also not far from where I live.

I am using encoders and decoders from MIDI-Boutique exclusively. Because of the duration of the project, however, some boards were obsolete by the end of the project and newer versions had been released. So there is a little bit of a mix of old and new.

The LCDs are the HWLCDs from MIDI-Boutique. There really is no bezel, technically. There is simply an opening cut in the tier which has been routed out on the back. The LCDs are mounted directly into the opening and a plexiglas cover (larger than the opening) goes over the opening. The spaces between the LCDs are covered with black felt, so it looks very neat, and sort of looks like a bezel.

I will try to post some close ups of the stops soon.

Thank you for your interest! I'm happy to provide any info I can.

Mike
Previous

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems