It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

Expression Pedals Indicator

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

hptschupp

Expression Pedals Indicator

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 12:53 am

What is the best way to implement expression pedal indicators. Does Hauptwerk send any MIDI messages for the status of the expression pedals? Are there decoders that could translate the midi signal into a 10 LED bar graph?

If no go the above way I thought to use tandem pots on the expression pedals, use one portion of the tandem pot as an analog input to a LM3914 voltmeter circuitry that drives a 10 segment bar graph.

Does anybody have some experience?

engrssc

Re: Expression Pedals Indicator

mdyde

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 5:07 am

hptschupp wrote:Does Hauptwerk send any MIDI messages for the status of the expression pedals?

You can certainly get Hauptwerk to send MIDI messages from any virtual expression pedal and/or virtual continuous control/slider/knob: right-click on it, select 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...', select the 'Primary output' tab and select the desired MIDI event type and parameters.

You can also use the LCD panel output system to show expression pedal/slider/knob values as percentages on compatible 32-character LCD panels.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

NickNelson

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 11:58 am

hptschupp wrote:If no go the above way I thought to use tandem pots on the expression pedals, use one portion of the tandem pot as an analog input to a LM3914 voltmeter circuitry that drives a 10 segment bar graph.

There's no need to use tandem pots, just drive the LM3914 in parallel with the MIDI encoder.

Nick

TheOrganDoc

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 3:00 pm

The Use of a 3914 IC, driving a "Bargraph' indicator is very good, just insert a trim Pot on the input in order to match the display indication to the voltage from your Swell Pot !

Also as in many "Pipe organ consoles" it is possible to attach "long thin rods to links on your swell Pedal's, and link the top of the Rods to wood levers (Indicators), that extend through your backboard ( Ala-Tracker) This utilizes the KISS principal, (Keep it simple S----d) :roll: :roll:
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

hptschupp

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks everybody for the valuable hints and contributions.

I will most likely go with the LM3914. I will post a message when done.

TheOrganDoc

PostThu Apr 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi HT,
I looked up the LM3914's and Bar-graph displays last year,
and the place I checked, quoted that they may not be available with "through Pins", in the future, (was Digi-Key) so I wish you best of luck, as they do work well. If you are skilled in using SM devices you may find them more available, So order a few spares !

I have installed many of the 3914's, and their cousin the (Logarithmic output, LM3915's, that you don't really want),
I also highly recommend that you install them in matching "IC Sockets if possible".

55 years ago I installed a rectangular strip of 1/2" Clear Plexiglass, that I slotted in the back down its length and then across making two rows of 10 squares, and then drilled a partial hole in all 20 tiny squares, I then mounted and wired 20 tiny lamps to the "Swell pedal contacts of the Wurlitzer Pipe Organ that I was taking care of".
The Organist appreciated the indicators on the backboard, and his audience was transfixed with the lights moving, and constantly asked about them ! :roll: :roll: , If you can't get the displays, then you could install rows of separate small Led's instead, they will work also. Mel, TheOrganDoc, (BTW I love FL, here on the east coast 25 yrs.!)
Last edited by TheOrganDoc on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

organtechnology

PostThu Apr 02, 2015 12:23 pm

Mouser indicates 5564 pcs in stock for about $2.39 plus shipping.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=LM3914

Peace,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

TheOrganDoc

PostThu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm

The first one listed at Mouser seems to have Pins for mounting,
the rest of the 3914's listed there are Surface Mount ! :roll:

hptschupp

PostSat Apr 04, 2015 7:02 pm

I just got an e-mail from Engineeringshock.com.They say that the LM3914 DIY kit is back in stock. More information about the kit is here: http://www.engineeringshock.com/lm3914-kit.html

Instead of the 10 LEDs I will buy 10 position red bar graph LEDs and mount them in an angle of 90 degree to the board so I can stick them from the back into the front jamb where there are also 32 lighted coupler switches.

NickNelson

PostSun Apr 12, 2015 4:31 am

As I described here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5285&hilit=expression+bar+graph&start=15#p36652, you don't really need a kit (or even a pcb) for a minimal implementation of the LM3914.

If you are not short of room, the kit probably isn't unreasonably expensive.

Nick

hptschupp

PostTue Apr 14, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks for the additional info.

Re: Swell and Crescendo Pedals

Right now I'm wondering if I should stay with the 10 segment display or if I should cascade 2 LM3914 for a 20 segment display. The 20 segment display would actually fit well into my stop-rail but I'm not sure if it would be an overkill. Can somebody give me a hint regarding this issue based on practical playing experience.

MikeDC

PostTue Apr 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Given that the larger indicator fits so perfectly, why not just use it? 20 LEDs for a range of 0-127 hardly seems to granular.

Just my 2-cents!

Mike

hptschupp

PostWed May 06, 2015 10:47 pm

That makes sense. Thank you.

mattnbin

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:01 am

mdyde wrote:
hptschupp wrote:Does Hauptwerk send any MIDI messages for the status of the expression pedals?

You can certainly get Hauptwerk to send MIDI messages from any virtual expression pedal and/or virtual continuous control/slider/knob: right-click on it, select 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...', select the 'Primary output' tab and select the desired MIDI event type and parameters.

You can also use the LCD panel output system to show expression pedal/slider/knob values as percentages on compatible 32-character LCD panels.

I know this is an older thread, but I hope someone can help.

I have a 6 LED bar graph connected to a Midi Gadgets driver board that is operated by Midi note information to turn on/off stop indicator LEDs. The 6 LEDs in the bar graph are connected higher in the note range than the stop indicator LEDs.
They are connected sequentially.

The method that Martin outlines above only allows MIDI controller data.

I need to select 6 evenly spaced stages out of the 40 of the crescendo stages (st Anne's organ) to output MIDI note data to make my graph work.

Can I do this?

Many thanks,
Matt

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI