It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

Keyboard pitches don't match

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Reserpine

Keyboard pitches don't match

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 2:07 pm

I am using the autodetect for my keyboards (as I don't know how to set up MIDI channels and all that stuff). It asks you to play the lowest note then the highest note and it finds the keyboard ok.

Only problem is, it's playing a tone higher on the virtual keyboard. So if I play D on my keyboard, it depresses E on the virtual keyboard on the screen.

Does this matter? If so, how can I fix it?

jkinkennon

Re: Keyboard pitches don't match

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Any possibility that a transposer setting was on while the keyboard was being auto detected? In any case the low and high keys can be set manually by right clicking on the virtual manual and selecting Adjust MIDI/Trigger settings. In the new window it will be possible to set the lowest key, probably to 036 (hex 24), and then set the highest key, usually 096 (hex 60). Those numbers are for a typical 5 octave manual. Also, the Shift setting should remain at Don't shift keys (normal). Hope that helps.

Reserpine

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 2:33 pm

jkinkennon wrote:Any possibility that a transposer setting was on while the keyboard was being auto detected? In any case the low and high keys can be set manually by right clicking on the virtual manual and selecting Adjust MIDI/Trigger settings. In the new window it will be possible to set the lowest key, probably to 036 (hex 24), and then set the highest key, usually 096 (hex 60). Those numbers are for a typical 5 octave manual. Also, the Shift setting should remain at Don't shift keys (normal). Hope that helps.

Thanks. It may be because I pressed the lowest (and highest) key on my keyboard, but that keyboard has a different compass than the organ I have loaded into Hauptwerk?

Could that be it? Maybe you are supposed to press the lowest key corresponding to the lowest one of the organ concerned I don't know.

Anyway, I shall try fiddling as you suggest.

Thanks

telemanr

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Definitely press the lowest key on your keyboard that corresponds to the lowest key on the sample set keyboard.
Rob Enns

Reserpine

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 4:20 pm

telemanr wrote:Definitely press the lowest key on your keyboard that corresponds to the lowest key on the sample set keyboard.

Ah! That may explain it. I assumed they just meant press the lowest key on your keyboard (whatever that is)

Thanks

mnailor

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 5:05 pm

That's odd. I've set up over 20 sample sets on my console and always pressed the lowest and highest physical keys on my keyboards regardless of shorter compasses on many of the virtual keyboards. No transposition occurred.

telemanr

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Actually that's what I've always done now that I look back. Yes it ought to work properly without reference to the samples compass now that I think about it. My keyboards though are organ compass. I.e., 5 octaves.
Something else is awry here.
Perhaps his keyboard itself is transposed.
Rob Enns

mnailor

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 6:40 pm

Could be. I had the impression that Hauptwerk pays attention to the MIDI note numbers transmitted rather than the relative position of the note above the lowest key. I could be wrong.

mdyde

PostSun Jun 14, 2015 4:10 am

[Topic moved here.]

Hauptwerk will never actually transpose automatically, regardless of the highest/lowest keys you press when auto-detecting; the keys pressed just define the range of keys that are mapped. If a virtual organ keyboard has a smaller key range than the physical key range then it doesn't hurt (the extra keys are just ignored harmlessly).

Reserpine wrote:Only problem is, it's playing a tone higher on the virtual keyboard. So if I play D on my keyboard, it depresses E on the virtual keyboard on the screen

I think you must either have:

- Turned on the transposer manually. You can view/change that on the Pitch large control panel ('View | Large control panels'). Or:

- Adjusted the key-shift setting manually for the virtual keyboard. Right-click on the virtual keyboard and select 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...' to check that.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

suejeanoh

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 am

I had the exact same problem.

Go to view>large floating control panels(for this organ)>pitch,

then in the pitch pitch window,

check the "base pitch Hz: A" is set to 440.

(Mine was set to 380 by default for some reason, and that was why my pitch was different)

Hope that helps somebody having the same trouble.

mdyde

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 am

Hello suejeanoh,

Is the transposer definitely off (zero)? (It's on that same Pitch large control panel.)

Also, are you using a VST/AU host for audio output from Hauptwerk? If so, you must have the host project's sample rate set to the same sample rate that the organ loaded in Hauptwerk uses/requires (48 kHz for most commercial sample sets, but 44.1 kHz for St. Anne's). Here's the relevant excerpt from the user guide (page 184 in the current version):

"Create a project in your AU/VST host software for the organ (sample set) you intend to use, and ensure that its sample rate is set to the sample set’s native sample rate (otherwise the organ may sound at the wrong pitch). If you use several different organs then you may wish to create a separate project for each distinct native sample rate they use (such as 48 kHz and 44.1 kHz) and load the appropriate one with each organ according to its native sample rate."
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support