It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 pm

Hauptwerk Compatibility with Windows 10

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

amateurorganist

Hauptwerk Compatibility with Windows 10

PostMon Jul 20, 2015 8:44 am

The next edition of Windows is released at the end of this month. Will HW be fully compatible with 10?

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk Compatibility with Windows 10

PostMon Jul 20, 2015 8:59 am

Hello Greg,

[Topic moved here.]

There are a couple of other recent topics on it here:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14249
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14255

We have been testing Windows beta versions, and we currently expect that v4.2.1 will be compatible with Windows 10, but we won't be able to give a definitive statement on support/compatibility with it until Microsoft has released the final version and we've had a chance to verify for certain. Hence we'd recommend not upgrading to Windows 10 until we've been able to make that statement.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostTue Jul 21, 2015 5:29 pm

deleted
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostTue Jul 21, 2015 5:30 pm

It may be a good idea to check if other components that you plan to use have drivers compatible with W10.

Rgds,
Ed

kwbmusic

PostTue Jul 21, 2015 7:01 pm

I checked and was happy to find that the RME Firewire products are listed with Windows 10 compatibility. I have the RME400.
Keith

engrssc

PostTue Jul 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Maybe just an old fashioned idea. but I have found it best to not rush into the newest, latest anything. Whether it be the first model year and esp software. Unless there is no other choice, waiting till "the dust settles" has served me well and minimized the frustration level quite a bit. Have enough frustration which seems to find me all on it's own. :shock:

And I do beta testing quite a bit under the heading of Helping To Make Progress Happen.

Rgds,
Ed

joeroberts

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 10:40 pm

My present system (Win-7) works beautifully with the latest Hauptwerk upgrade....At first I was hesitant to upgrade, but from the encouraging results of others....I upgraded and was successful.....
Now Windows -10 is another story.....Since my present system ain't broke...why fix it? However, we have to keep up with the times I guess....so I will be waiting for the Hauptwerk Technical Team to test/check out compatibility issues and let everybody know when it's safe....Thanks Team....
joeroberts

engrssc

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 5:44 pm

joeroberts wrote:Since my present system ain't broke...why fix it? However, we have to keep up with the times I guess....so I will be waiting for the Hauptwerk Technical Team to test/check out compatibility issues

I do enjoy experimenting but there seems to that just right moment to bite the bullet and swim upstream. I usually wait until others have gotten "there" first. A good friend was a tank driver during a recent war. He told me there were some in his platoon that always wanted to get up and over the hill first, sort of a race. Since he was no slouch, he would race with them until he got to the top of the hill. Then he would pull back on the throttle just a little. The other "racers" usually took the first hit from the enemy, while he, being slightly behind would zero in on the enemies position and "wipe 'em out". Not sure if this fits the situation exactly, but my friend did come home. :wink:

BTW, I did have some issues with Win 8 which I haven't been able to fix. So in the mean while, went back to Win 7.

Rgds,
Ed

joeroberts

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 11:22 am

Ed...............
BTW, I did have some issues with Win 8 which I haven't been able to fix. So in the mean while, went back to Win 7.
Was that Windows 8 or 8.1 ?
jr

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 4:21 pm

My theory: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I realize after awhile a certain platform will no longer be supported, can't see that happening with Win 7 anytime real soon. Can anyone tell me what if any benefit there would be to go from say Win 7 Pro up to Win 10 if the computer is being used just for HW purposes?

Regards,

Marc

mdyde

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 4:00 am

1961TC4ME wrote:Can anyone tell me what if any benefit there would be to go from say Win 7 Pro up to Win 10 if the computer is being used just for HW purposes?

I know of no specific advantages in Windows 7 above Windows 7 for Hauptwerk use, except perhaps that Windows 8.1 was claimed to be very slightly more reliable internally for audio than Windows 7 so one would hope that slight advantage is retained by Windows 10.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 9:49 am

engrssc wrote:BTW, I did have some issues with Win 8 which I haven't been able to fix. So in the mean while, went back to Win 7.Ed

Could it be your computer is suggesting an upgrade to a Mac? :wink: :mrgreen:

Marc

engrssc

PostSat Aug 01, 2015 10:43 am

joeroberts wrote:BTW, I did have some issues with Win 8 which I haven't been able to fix. So in the mean while, went back to Win 7. Was that Windows 8 or 8.1 ?

Win 8.1, no probs with Win 7.

BTW, I only use Windows with my laptop - (demo mode) which I "show off" Hauptwerk on occasion, definitely not as good as my home VTPO which uses a Mac Pro10.8.

Rgds,
Ed

tf11972

PostSat Aug 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Now Windows 10 Final is out and for experience I have updated my Office-PC today from Windows 7. Everything except the Virus Scanner, which was deleted while the updating process, is working fine. Also the driver for my Steinberg UR22.
Has anyone made the jump into the cold water and has updated his Hauptwerk-PC?
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

katnjack

PostSat Aug 01, 2015 4:32 pm

I have tried Windows 10 twice and removed it twice and am back to Windows 7, too much trouble with 10, no full screen for one. Lots of luck if you go to Windows 10.
Jack
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs